Women and power

Started by , November 10, 2003, 01:31:24 PM

Okay, there had been some talk in the past about the inaccuracies in the portrayls of the importance/role of women in Zalanthas. And it had been stated, by Sanvean, that they are pretty much equal.

Yet when it comes to one of the rawest forms of power... (defiling/sorcery) it seems women are either absent, or VERY good and modest and enjoy their secrecy. Something I find strange if its the 'equal' world, because women would be just as desirous to flaunt and abuse their power.

So I was wondering why (if there is even a reason) no women have been represented in the history of the world? From what I can appear its men that have ruled almost absolutely, yet we as players and characters are supposed to keep an open perspective of equality in our day to day affairs. In a land who's history is dominated by powerful males:
*Highlord Tektolnes of Allanak.
*Sun-King Muk Utep of Tuluk.
*Luir Dragonsthrall of Luir's.
*Sorcerer Valasurus of Steinal.
*The Sandlord of Red Storm.

Then minor figments of power, the pretty much supreme duo of templars that existed in Tuluk for a long while, Kul and Isar. Both male as far as I know.

And then of course the wide-number powerfully positioned males in the form of PCs. Like the single black-robed templar any of my characters had ever seen (as far as I can recall) was Ihsahn, who was a male... and a good macho one at that. None of this women-equality stuff.

The only female I could even find mentioned in the history was Elaira Fale of the Blue... which is a very small representation. Blue robes are what, the lowest in the order of Templars? And a Fale? The like... party-house?

So I'm wondering from what source are PCs and players supposed to surmise this equal state of women and men in the world? Yes, I can understand that because of the naturally hostile and harsh environment of the world, and the survival of the fittest mentality, that a majority of women and men would be built the same in terms of anatomy. And that through this lifestyle their emotions and things would be hardened similarly, but there are still prevalent issues on Zalanthas like child-birth.

And I imagine (can't be certain on Zalanthas) that due to the lack of much technology, that birth can be equatable to sometime in the far past of real-life civilization. Where hearing of a mother dying during birth wasn't a rare and unusual thing. (Not because of frailty or something, but just diseases and complications). This type of thing would of course make women appear weaker to a man. Also there is the 9 months, probably 3 of which they will be extremely altered in figure and capabilities.

So back on track... I'm wondering if there is a reason that women are portrayed to a lesser extent in history, common-day Zalanthas, and just overall in terms of power and equality. Yet we are to play and treat them as equals in most cases. I find it hard to draw proper motivation to do so. I find it much easier to equate power with figures actually in power. Even an uneducated commoner can figure that Tektolnes is male. Naturally men, (at least some of them) in any attempt to acquire power in their everyday lives would wish to associate themselves with the most common figure there is, i.e. the Highlord. And to be like him, you'd have to not be female. And considering he is male, you'd assume that males are naturally better.

Feel free to offer any feedback... anyone.

Ah, Ihsahn...I remember him.  That was like, years ago, was it not?

Anyways, yes I tend to agree.  If women are supposedly as physically powerful as men (on average), they should likely be represented in the timeline.  However, it is possible that the timeline was written Sanvean delcared (whichever helpfile it is) that men = women in most (if not all) aspects.

Otherwise, life sucks.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

As far as I know, the helpfile which states that women are just as powerful as men, and on a completely even keel as them has always been that way, and Sanvean had nothing to do with changing it, or declaring thats the way it was going to be. Just just pointed it out to everyone who hadn't noticed before. ;)

I think the main reason that you don't see powerful women in the timeline is that: 1) You guys don't see the whole timeline, and 2) just random coincidence - nobody really thought about it before.

-Tlaloc
Tlaloc
Legend

Most of the people on your list are nearly gods.  They are permanent figures in the time line.  I imagine the reason why they are all men is because it was a fluke.  ICly, it just happened that way.  OOCly, the time line was probably originally written by men who didn't think too much about the genders they were using until it was well after the fact.  It wasn't that it was malicious, just overlooked.  Personally, I would just chalk it up coincidence ICly and think nothing of it.

As far as the game world, these days I would say that woman are pretty damned powerful.  At least in these latest events where I was, there were two ladies who were basically in charge.  I never saw any men jumping to try and snag power from them.  A woman was the only one as far as I know to start up her own noble house.  Granted, it was short lived, but noble houses get added only once very thousand years or so, so it was no small achievement.  Another rising organization in Allanak was created by a rather powerful woman not too long ago.  If it survives the death of its founders, that would be another major contribution.

Honestly, when I think of at least recent history, women are about on par with men, if not dominating.  True, when you talk of major battles it is still generally the dudes that are remembered the most fondly, but I that is more of function of the roles people are picking.  The last time I was in the Byn men outnumbered women by a fair amount, and this is ratio is going to be reflected in battles.  In terms of politics though, it is an entirely different story.  There are both male and female supper stars, but I would put women ahead of the men in terms of grabbing for power and making a difference.  That said, this is purely from my commoner's point of view.  I have very little dealings inside politics as I tend to prefer the guy crawling through the gutter then the well bathed noble or aid.  The internal dynamics of the politics might be much different then what I perceive.

What'sherface, Aquila or something, was a red robe who's mentioned in the docs with the war on the north.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Ihsahn was not a Black Robe, merely a Red.

Dora Tor was a powerful and well-tenured templar as well.  There was also a powerful bald-headed Tor templar who was female.  Ellie Fale...ick.  My first noble learned that Red Robes are more powerful than junior nobles the hard way because of her....

Here's a thought.  Who knows for sure that those powerful ones listed above are really men?  Maybe Zalanthan women don't have ego issues and are perfectly happy to let people think they are a male.

Take the Sandlord.  Maybe that's a woman who just feels completely uninclined to change people's opinion of what her gender is.  In fact, she might back it up since its one extra layer of security if people are looking for a dude.

But this begs the question: If men and women are equal, why would everyone assume the Sandlord was a man?

Because it's not Sandlady..?
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I'm not sure that we can put this off on any Arm staffer, no matter how long ago.  I think this probably harkens back to the whole Dark Sun module.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "crymerci"I'm not sure that we can put this off on any Arm staffer, no matter how long ago.  I think this probably harkens back to the whole Dark Sun module.

Actually, Dark Sun had a sorceror queen.

Now allow me to bow out of this conversation well before it hits 8 pages and degrades but nothing but people declaring the post dead.
Back from a long retirement

Quote from: "CRW"Dora Tor was a powerful and well-tenured templar as well.

:lol:
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Wait!  I've got it!  If there were sorceror queens none of the sorceror kings would get anything done because they'd always be trying to mudsex her.

I mean, we are the sex mud, after all.  :twisted:
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "Lazloth"Because it's not Sandlady..?

Why not?

What, did s/he print up some business cards or hire a PR firm to get the word out?

Kinda.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I like to think the Dragon was/is female.  I mean, how would you know?  Even if you looked, gender isn't as obvious with most reptilians as it is with primates, and not many people would have gotten -that- close to the Dragon and lived.  

Luirs Dragonthall?  Nothing but a discarded toy boy.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins