Idea - change emote symbols to other keybinds

Started by mansa, September 22, 2020, 10:51:28 PM

Idea:

I think it would be interesting if we had the option to change some of the emote symbols to /other/ keys on the keyboard.

This might make things easier for people with international keyboards or people using phones.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I play exclusively on a phone, never had a single issue using any of the symbols.

Quote from: Hauwke on September 23, 2020, 01:02:48 AM
I play exclusively on a phone, never had a single issue using any of the symbols.
How?  I wouldn't be able to manage all the emotes and shit necessary just in a bar RP clunking around on my phone.  I've logged in before via phone with mud apps on IOS and it's hard as fuck even on a bigger iphone to type and shit.

As to the original idea, I think that's good to give folks an ability for international folks etc.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

The ^ symbol is definitely annoying to me because of my keyboard layout.

Quote from: rinthrat on September 23, 2020, 07:34:58 AM
The ^ symbol is definitely annoying to me because of my keyboard layout.
The emote system is definitely more robust than I utilize it to be.  If I get fancy I use an % for possessive, I have to look at the help file to even figure out what the hell ^ does.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on September 23, 2020, 07:42:02 AM
I have to look at the help file to even figure out what the hell ^ does.

If it's any help, they're grouped next to each other on the keyboard.  ~/!, %/^, @ and # for self-references.

A while ago I thought it would be neat if the game was smart about interpreting the sequence 's.  So, for example,

em frowns at Luir's lack of decorum

might translated to

em frowns at %Luir lack of decorum.

If we're worried about that misfiring, it could be toggled on/off, or it could only work when the token has a . in the middle of it, like

em cowers at the sight of grey.gith's bone sword
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Really the game should just automatically turn token1.token2 into ~token1.token2 and token1.token2's into %token1.token2 in emotes, unless I'm missing some other situation in which you would join tokens with a .

Agreed. Is there a reason why it does it though? Can it be changed?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

...So the text interpreter should detect ~ <keyword> 's and turn it into %

Yes?   

I agree with that.

I'd also like to be able to change ~ to be another symbol, like "-" or "{" or  "`"
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on September 26, 2020, 05:16:49 PM
...So the text interpreter should detect ~ <keyword> 's and turn it into %

More than that, it would detect "keyword.keyword" and turn it into "~keyword.keyword"

On the topic of parser upgrades I would love to be able to include "anti" keywords where you use a - before the keyword to exclude certain objects. There's been times where I wished I had this because sometimes two different objects share the same keywords and I have to do some annoying inventory managment gynmastics to hit theone i want to

codemaster you should write out the entire specuification for that

As soon as I started to set it down it's not so easy (for example, normally when you use ~ twice for the same person, you want one of them to be an !).  But if you wanted to do it client side it might look like:

input = "em nods. He sets ~hat on short.mul's head and adjusts ~short.mul's collar before sighing at tall.templar"

replace(" ([A-Za-z]+[.][A-Za-z.]+)", ' ~\\1', input)
replace(" ~?([A-Za-z]+[.][A-Za-z.]+)'s", ' %\\1', input)

which would result in:

"em nods. He sets ~hat on %short.mul head and adjusts %short.mul collar before sighing at ~tall.templar"

I suppose, but you also need to consider the true grammar of the situation and sometimes there is justification to use ~ on the same keytarget twice to prevent ambiguity.

em stares fearfully between ~amos and ~malik, blablabla something !amos something different !malik

You could just keyword them differently to avoid the system ruining your grammar but that would only reduce playability because it would take more effort to do something that can already be done now.