Ping, game connection

Started by Pariah, September 18, 2020, 06:36:21 AM

Is there an in game command to check your ping or connection to the game?

I've noticed that while my internet speeds are good 100mbps sometimes the game will lag like crazy.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

If it lags like crazy it's usually the server itself, or sometimes some hop on the way there that neither you or staff has control over.

It also lags every day at the same time (36 minutes before you posted) for a minute or two - that's a backup running and it's expected.

This is a purely text based game.. I am not sure why it should ever lag server side, especially if its in the cloud with a top provider?  AWS uptime is like 99.96%.

Corey

Quote from: CoreyTX on September 18, 2020, 02:28:40 PM
This is a purely text based game.. I am not sure why it should ever lag server side, especially if its in the cloud with a top provider?  AWS uptime is like 99.96%.

Corey

The core heartbeat of ArmageddonMUD is DikuMUD, and it uses that codebase for how commands get sent and received to the players.  If there's something hampering serverside, like having to deal with 7000 mobs in a single room, it may affect inputs and outputs of the players.

DIKU isn't quite designed for multithreading, AFAIK.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yeah I was trying to dog the game, I just was curious if there was a command that could check ping or game connection so you could figure out when might not be the best time to do things that required good response.

Like if the game is going to be laggy, might not be the best time to go hunting dangerous critters ect.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on September 18, 2020, 05:20:45 PM
Yeah I was trying to dog the game, I just was curious if there was a command that could check ping or game connection so you could figure out when might not be the best time to do things that required good response.

Like if the game is going to be laggy, might not be the best time to go hunting dangerous critters ect.

My test is this.

Spamwalk a direction three times, and in the middle of spamwalking type "look <direction>".  If there's some lag between typing "look <direction>" and the response from the game, that's a good indicator of the response times from player input.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one