Player Poll: Crit timers.

Started by Shabago, August 22, 2020, 04:19:37 PM

August 23, 2020, 06:48:03 AM #25 Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:03:11 AM by Lotion
Quit die is always an option. If a player chooses to sit and wait for two hours watching a number dance between zero and negative whatever then that's their choice. If you wanted to get back to 1hp faster then you should have considered having more endurance.

I really do like the ability of being able to way someone for help while you are in a helpless state and maybe move a few rooms at some kind of cost. Having to decide whether it's worth putting yourself close to death if moving a bit over would keep you further from mortal danger and having to consider if the immense risk is worth the payoff. I love this and think it absolutely fits the theme of a permadeath RPG.

Waying for help is also nice because it forces players who would otherwise completely avoid putting their characters situations in which they are at the mercy of other characters (including those they are closest or trust the most).

I'm fine with the current system being as "waity" as it is now although I think giving near death players more options for gameplay other than dreaming of their own downfall would be a good idea.

double edit: I have no clue how fast/slow people in minus hp heal after being bandaged but I'd hope its no longer than ten minutes/one zalanthan hour akin to passing. Maybe even after a successful enough bandage attempt is made the player just instantly goes to 1hp and then is either unconscious or maybe awake and only able to speak and emote but unable to walk and also autofail any subdue attempts.

Quote from: Lotion on August 23, 2020, 06:48:03 AM
Quit die is always an option. If a player chooses to sit and wait for two hours watching a number dance between zero and negative whatever then that's their choice. If you wanted to get back to 1hp faster then you should have considered having more endurance.

Of course a lot of folks are saying quit die are sufficient, but I like the note on endurance here. People often joke about making endurance a dump stat. Maybe don't.

A lot of stuff in this game can take an inordinately long amount of time. Example: an elf trying to kill a thing in melee. Sort of joking but also not; someone once joked about a single fight taking an entire IG day or 90 minutes for an elf, and it's true, it happens. There have been some elf battles I've been through that have run so long I've just had to cut my losses and flee. And that's fine and in character, elves like running right? L-mao. If you pick endurance as your dump stat, you might have to cut your losses and quit die, and that's fine and in character too.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: triste on August 23, 2020, 10:26:48 AM

Of course a lot of folks are saying quit die are sufficient, but I like the note on endurance here. People often joke about making endurance a dump stat. Maybe don't.
I've played a character that had very high endurance recently and was at negative hitpoints while bloodburned and got back in a matter of minutes. Endurance is really good.

Quote from: Lotion on August 23, 2020, 10:35:16 AM
Quote from: triste on August 23, 2020, 10:26:48 AM

I've played a character that had very high endurance recently and was at negative hitpoints while bloodburned and got back in a matter of minutes. Endurance is really good.

Yes it's underrated and leads to interesting RP scenarios, good data point thanks.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

Yes lower the timer - If bandaged.
Otherwise I'm personally okay with the timer. It gives lots of time to role play a situation out, because it takes time to emote and talk, and act. It gives time to give PC death a little more meaning.

Would it make sense if someone classified as link dead/idle during recovery was logged out automatically IF they recover to 1hp? Then it's not OOC if you live, but die anyway, because it's been two hours and you had to go to work or pick up your kids or something?

It still leaves that tension, am I going to be dead when I get back or wake up with 1hp and can roleplay my survival attempt? Stay tuned.

Just an idea for a workaround.

Quote from: HortaCulture on August 23, 2020, 11:37:44 AM
Yes lower the timer - If bandaged.
Otherwise I'm personally okay with the timer. It gives lots of time to role play a situation out, because it takes time to emote and talk, and act. It gives time to give PC death a little more meaning.

Would it make sense if someone classified as link dead/idle during recovery was logged out automatically IF they recover to 1hp? Then it's not OOC if you live, but die anyway, because it's been two hours and you had to go to work or pick up your kids or something?

It still leaves that tension, am I going to be dead when I get back or wake up with 1hp and can roleplay my survival attempt? Stay tuned.

Just an idea for a workaround.

Just like quit die is the existing mechanism to speed up your death if you want, quit ooc is the existing mechanism for this circumstance of "having to go to work or pick up your kids," and ideally it should work in every circumstance including this one.

The options really are:

1. quit die
2. Idle on mobile
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

So for those weighing in, the majority I'm seeing is:

A) Leave it as is

With a touch of

B) Add difference of time if bandaged.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Seems about right.
Time to find the person, plenty of time for RP but with medical attention they should be 'back up' within a shorter period of time.

Quote from: Shabago on August 31, 2020, 05:48:47 PM
So for those weighing in, the majority I'm seeing is:

A) Leave it as is

With a touch of

B) Add difference of time if bandaged.

My personal opinion? People should 'never' die when at negative hp. They might be failing rolls and go down the scale, and then back up, and if it takes long enough they should quit die. But in my personal opinion, there is literally 'no' gain to the storytelling, plots, or sheer sense of fun to be dying when at neg hp.

If someone puts you down to neg hp and they want you to die, then they'll finish you off. But if you're allowed to remain, or go down to other reasons, then you should recover. Even if it hours upon hours upon hours for you to do it. 

So allow rolling to go up and down between -9 and 0. But never going to the final -10 without outside work. Be it a critter, or a humonoid. PC, or NPC. But otherwise, people should linger on to either eventually managing to scrape back to life, or linger along until someone finds you and helps/finishes you. Which will only improve the story, never damage it.

While I'm certainly a "realism" advocate, sometimes to the detriment of gaming, I agree with Dar about not dying if you're not finished off at negative HP. However, I also think if you're recovering from dying, you should have severe penalties to all of your stats, recovering them over the course of time. Forget the "I roleplay this" bit ... you can roleplay what's actually happening.

But, I mean, I dunno. I am fine no matter what happens.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Id be all for negatives coming with a huge penalty after, make it similar to poison code. Your max hp drops to like 10 and over time it comes back up, echoes to the effect of: "You regain a bit of your usual vigor as your body heals."

Eventually you will be starving or dehydrated and will die.

Bandaging someone already means that they will not bleed out and they will regenerate faster.  I would suggest using the highest quality bandage you have available, not some scrap.

Expending the body resources as it clings to life and dying from thirst sounds very reasonable. In general I'm all against neg hp causing death and all for having neg hp take a long time to recover from and cause consequences of.

I believe leave it but make it so bandage gives HP back again maybe 10-15 HP if at master with a good bandage?

I think the main issue that I see being brought up but not really discussed, is it sounds like the crit time as it is now, gives a huge bonus to players that have not time restrictions.

And I think that's not really a good thing. People that have more time to play, having the benefit of being much more likely to heal / get saved. It's a huge IC boon (your character stays alive) for an OOC reason.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: creeper386 on October 27, 2020, 03:16:10 PM
I think the main issue that I see being brought up but not really discussed, is it sounds like the crit time as it is now, gives a huge bonus to players that have not time restrictions.

And I think that's not really a good thing. People that have more time to play, having the benefit of being much more likely to heal / get saved. It's a huge IC boon (your character stays alive) for an OOC reason.

Admitting that I've given up sleep and contact with friends/family and been late to work because of this game (more than once because of the argument under discussion), I don't see this as a "if you have more time to play" issue.

We all log in with a certain amount of time available to us due to real life commitments/needs/wants.  But when something happens (this could be character at negative HP or a fantastic interaction or a sudden exciting event or a dozen other things), many of us take the extra time and make sacrifices in the rest of our lives.  At least I do.

On topic:  Leave it as it is.  I was strongly of the opinion that it should be reduced prior to reading the thread.  But have been convinced otherwise.

Side note:  Glad to see this one resurrected.  And...you know who you are who dragged my -ve HP char through the thorns and killed her.

Edited to answer the question asked.

I'd like to see negative hp leave you incapacitated but conscious while you wait it out. You still might bleed out, might not, but you're able to talk and psi. Cool rescue scenarios, fun for villains revealing diabolical plans before dealing a death blow, all around more fun than the current loss of consciousness.

I would love to leave a PC incapacitated, and then wait for their friends to come rescue them while they wayed and screamed for help😈.

Being a rescuer could be fun too, I guess.

I don't think bandage works properly on critically wounded targets. Even in the best scenario of master bandage skill, a masterwork bandage and assess showing a masterfully applied bandage, no recovery seems to occur at all. Target in the scenario in question was a city elf, but still struck me as inappropriate. In any case, it is an effective nerf from how bandage worked before. Bandage does REALLY well now when you aren't critical.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on October 27, 2020, 08:37:12 PM
I don't think bandage works properly on critically wounded targets. Even in the best scenario of master bandage skill, a masterwork bandage and assess showing a masterfully applied bandage, no recovery seems to occur at all. Target in the scenario in question was a city elf, but still struck me as inappropriate. In any case, it is an effective nerf from how bandage worked before. Bandage does REALLY well now when you aren't critical.

I've bandaged someone that was critically wounded to the point where they woke up very quickly. I used the best 'bandage item' I know about, but still, it worked nicely.

Quote from: roughneck on October 27, 2020, 05:10:34 PM
I'd like to see negative hp leave you incapacitated but conscious while you wait it out. You still might bleed out, might not, but you're able to talk and psi. Cool rescue scenarios, fun for villains revealing diabolical plans before dealing a death blow, all around more fun than the current loss of consciousness.

I would love to leave a PC incapacitated, and then wait for their friends to come rescue them while they wayed and screamed for help😈.

Being a rescuer could be fun too, I guess.
Yeah, I actually do this when I DM D&D. During that period of time you're making death saves, you can communicate with people up to five feet from you, and with a Con check of 20, you can either move 5 feet or take an bonus action. If you are struck again while in that 0 hp state, you are no longer conscious, even if you aren't yet actually dead.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I'm in the leave it as is opinion.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

Quote from: Harmless on October 27, 2020, 08:37:12 PM

It sounds like it was an NPC, which behave differently than PCs.

NPCs in the crit zone will just sit there for ingame days.
NPCs outside of the crit zone will heal to full health in the time it takes to reload a crossbow even if they were at 1hp :(