clans have too much water

Started by Lotion, July 23, 2020, 12:26:02 AM

I think it's already implied that clans pay for this water, either through taxes or other upkeep costs.

Also, given the amount of superstition and misinformation surrounding magickers, don't think magically conjured up water will be a popular thing...

Quote from: Harmless on July 24, 2020, 10:00:14 PM
Grey water in particular is WAY too expensive in Allanak. You'd think it had nutritional benefits or something! It ought to be like 10 coins a skin. Instead it costs nearly as much as clear water.

This I agree to.  The price difference means there is little incentive to buy grey water.  It would be nice if it was much cheaper to encourage more people discovering the joys of water you can chew!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I'd be very for making every source of water outside walled settlements to be very scarce and very dangerous.

I miss the days of no water clans...vivs were in much higher demand. Nobody liked em...but they needed them, it was an interesting dichotomy.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If a clan didn't provide water, then that means I won't log on as much because I'd get thirsty too much. That's the catch you get. Either you provide water and there are high playtimes or no water and low playtimes. Enjoy!

Quote from: AdamBlue on July 26, 2020, 06:39:36 PM
If a clan didn't provide water, then that means I won't log on as much because I'd get thirsty too much. That's the catch you get. Either you provide water and there are high playtimes or no water and low playtimes. Enjoy!

That's kind of shitty, tbh. If lack of water really prevents you from playing in a game that's ment to be drastically short on water, then maybe not playing is the right decision.

I would understand leaving the clan, or giving the clan leadership shit, or stealing clan gear and selling it off to be able to afford water. But not logging in? That's lame.

Quote from: Dar on July 26, 2020, 08:34:21 PM
Quote from: AdamBlue on July 26, 2020, 06:39:36 PM

That's kind of shitty, tbh. If lack of water really prevents you from playing in a game that's ment to be drastically short on water, then maybe not playing is the right decision.

I would understand leaving the clan, or giving the clan leadership shit, or stealing clan gear and selling it off to be able to afford water. But not logging in? That's lame.
Why should a clan role be punished for having lots of availability, then? Not only is leadership sometimes completely absent, but forcing them to essentially survive with no coded support whatsoever while waiting for roleplay that ends up not happening? Radical, super fun.

If you want people who have lots of availability, they will end up eating lots of food and drinking lots of water, often in massive excess than to what you would expect. Being online for ten hours a day is lots of food and water, and if it's not available, then they have to limit themselves so that they don't starve to death, unless you'd like clan roles begging on the street or shovelling shit for greywater and bar food.

In the past, I have been in that situation.  Needing to be online to speak to X, but needing to not log in to try to ration food and water supplies until I do.

It is frustrating and immersion breaking and so very crushing.  Being non-peak means I have had to log out for nearly every big thing...but basic communication would be game breaking.

If you are an indie, that is part of the package that you accept.  But clans require you to be far more reliant on another player and being available...which means amusing yourself while logged in waiting for them...which means drinking and eating more.

As an off-peak player, I would struggle to balance a role where there are clan restrictions but no water.  And saying 'just steal stuff' really doesn't help at all.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

SOME of this has been rectified by changing the rate at which thirst and hunger grow for people while indoors/in a city. I have had PCs that didn't need water or food for in game days at a time. For me, thirst went up if I went outdoors, and hunger went up if I was sparring/fighting/regenerating stamina and hp.

That, combined with mostly free water in places, has rectified the "I'm online 5 hours a day, and leadership is only around 5 hours a week" issue when it comes to literal, coded survival.

Some clans, like the Byn.. it KINDA made sense to have to get your own water, or the Sarge is paying for it out of pocket. Other clans, like the GMH's or Noble Houses, it didn't make sense that water wasn't part of the deal. One of the main draws to working for a GMH or Noble is that you DON'T have to worry about food or water like all those other Scraps.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.