Class / Sub-class Redo

Started by HeeBeeGB, July 19, 2020, 03:55:41 PM

Quote from: HeeBeeGB on July 19, 2020, 03:53:22 PM
I think similar to re-roll undo, I really wish there was class/sub-class undo. I would make the class/sub-class undo within 24 hours played. It resets your skills to the new class combination, and you start over again.

I often pick the wrong combination, because it takes within that 24 hours played to understand what a role might require of you, what you will be doing with the PC, and what potentials you want to either maximize or focus on.

I really wish this was doable. I haven't played nearly any/all of the class and sub-class combinations, and find I make the wrong choice almost every time for the role the PC will be inhabiting. I play despite that, but yeah...It'd be nice.

Not related to that thread so thought I would start a new one.

Does anyone else commiserate with improper class/subclass choice, and realizing they would rather play a Laborer/Slipknife when they get in game?

Yes, as I brought up in this thread:

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,55570.0.html
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

So, re-reading that thread, it seems that Magickers would obviously have to be exempt from the discussion (If you choose Magicker, you must play a magicker, and actually, maybe you have to stick with the sub-class choice as well suited to your background).

For mundanes, I just kind of wish I could pick Fighter instead of Soldier, because I thought soldier would better suit a background, but it is a bit handicapped in comparison to Fighter it seems. So if you go into a role thinking 'it'd be nice to have crafting skills as well as fighting skills' but then in actual play you're like 'huh that wasn't as much of a boon as I thought it would be, the fighting skills would better suit this PC', you could swap out and start over skill wise, rather than having to start the PC or the PC Concept over. If that makes sense.

I can't say this is something I've ever missed, but maybe the opportunity to shift your class one tier up or down in its category (e.g. scout to raider or stalker) if some criterion is met. That would be a cool way to portray the development that a character might go through in its life. You may have started out with soldier but after x amount of time in the Byn you want your character's focus to shift more toward combat and apply to become a fighter. Any skills you then had that fighters don't get are simply lost, and any you had that were above the cap for fighters are lowered to the new cap. I think this would work out fine.

I've always wished that Armageddon would break free of the class system altogether. It's just a weakness to the game, in my opinion. For magick classes it works because these are naturally segragated within the game's universe - you're either a Rukkian or you aren't - but for mundane characters it's really archaic and not suited for an RPI. I really liked the way it was done on Shadows of Isildur, Atonement and those other games on that codebase: you get to pick x skills, their caps are determined by your stats, and the total number of skill points your character can have is determined by your mental attributes. Of course this will also require an overhaul of Armageddon's stat system, but that's something that has been painfully overdue since the turn of the millennium.

I am more in support of gradual transformations of classes or skills so it is less rigid somehow. it would be a huge pain to code I imagine and death is easy to come by, and this isn't DnD where every character gets individual GM time, so all I really want is more ability to just tweak a skill or two late in a career and just focus on that for moldability (and realism)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on July 20, 2020, 07:55:23 AM
I am more in support of gradual transformations of classes or skills so it is less rigid somehow. it would be a huge pain to code I imagine and death is easy to come by, and this isn't DnD where every character gets individual GM time, so all I really want is more ability to just tweak a skill or two late in a career and just focus on that for moldability (and realism)

Yep, I feel this. About three times I have mentioned it would be awesome if you could spend karma on a living character to get a new skill or tweak them [up to the max of your karma, so you could spend 2 points on a complete mundane if you have 2 karma but only 1 point on smthn with a touched subguild because you already spent 1 karma].

This would fix two problems: players with karma throwing away mundanes [or hardly playing] until their karma regens, and two, the desire to have malleable, evolving concepts per OP.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.