Search

Started by Dresan, July 06, 2020, 02:14:34 PM

July 06, 2020, 02:14:34 PM Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:51:17 PM by Dresan
Search is a cool feature unfortunately it has never really helped me find any secrets. This is because in order for search to work you really need to go around searching every room.

More likely is that people already know there is a secret in the area room before heading there or just stumble upon it without search.

I propose search work as a toggle or maybe work along side watch. With high enough search when passing a room with a secret entrance or something buried. You get notified that you think there is something special about the area. Then you would have to try to search it.

I also think stalkers should get this skill.

I'm in full support of this idea, spam searching is super annoying. Just a quick message about "X looks off in this room." would make the skill awesome. Never understood why stalkers didn't get search either, but they're already such a solid class without it. I think this would end up having a city/wilderness search skill implemented.

I like search, and I've found a few things, but I suppose, I like that it doesn't automatically TELL you something is there, like scan or listen. I like the manual nature. I like, I suppose, feeling like I'm hunting for something, and the award of success. Were it a toggle, everyone would know every little thing, without even needing to put in effort. Pass a place, know a secret. NBD. Thats, really, kind of weak.

I've even got a preference for classes that have it, because as situational as it is, it lets me legitimately use some secret passages. I've always found it BS, once you "know" where a secret passage is OOC, you can just use the keyword to access it, without having the search skill or even legit IC knowledge of it. It would become FAR more valuable, if you required search @ a certain skill level, to make use of secret passages, hidden resources, or see certain (very cool) special things.

If TRAPs were a thing, it would be cool if SEARCH was the counter to it. This game is ideally suited to traps, imo.

Also agree about stalkers getting search, because the coolest secret passages and things I ever found, were out in the desert, and the desert/wilds offer the most potential to expand the game world, through secret places. Secret bases, waiting for pc occupation. Secret underground routes to places, you can only travel w/o mounts. Lots of potentials, had someone the ambition to explore it.

Tbh, the game would hugely benefit, from a content submission, in this regard. I'd think players, here, would launch themselves at an opportunity, to design a few 2-5 room "secrets", to be nestled around the game world, here and there, to satiate the explorers want for discovery.

Staff could just plant them wherever, with no feedback to the writer, or even knowledge of WHEN they might be added, to protect against meta knowledge.
"Mortals do drown so."

I love the above, but I think this has be suggested before. There have been some sneaky beaky secrets that were added recently(according to Shalooonsh) but only one has been found as of yet. My interpretation of this is that staff wants to keep the numbers low and very hidden.

Despite the fact that I'd prefer the amount of unexplored cool dungeons to be more like D&D or even (god help us) Morrowind, my interpretation is that, like most things in game, Staff prefers realism. In real life your chances of finding Petra if you poke around in the desert EXIST, but are not high by any stretch of the imagination.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.