Spoiling plants

Started by FamousAmos, June 13, 2020, 02:05:10 PM

Can't we have plants spoil like foods? This way, the floristry ability to dry (and preserve) flowers will have more value, and its way more plausible than having flowers and leaves sit in chests for IG years.

Quote from: FamousAmos on June 13, 2020, 02:05:10 PM
Can't we have plants spoil like foods? This way, the floristry ability to dry (and preserve) flowers will have more value, and its way more plausible than having flowers and leaves sit in chests for IG years.

Please no.  Already a massive pain to get 3 ingredients for a food recipe, all at the same time in the same place before one rots.  Don't do this to plants too :'( It'll kill playability the same way adding it to cures would!  100% do not need a second more stressful job!

Plus drying/preserving plants seems to change the properties (of the ones IG), with their tastes changing - it is already useful to be able to dry some to get a different taste in that colour.  Making it mandatory though, hard pass!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I'm sure we could have a reasonable middle ground, where plants might decay after, say, a month in game... which is more than enough time to bake a pie, or whatever.

Barely any flowers can be preserved, and those preserved can't be used in the same way as their prior forms usually - most have different tastes, and all have different sdescs, so can't be used in the same crafts unless a new craft is made with the preserved version too.

Sooooo... I dunnoooo.

A lot of work needs done on making sure most crafts have a preserved form and - when reasonable - also have crafts with the flower have crafts with the preserved flower too, before I would be happy about flowers being decayable.
Lizard time.

Quote from: NinjaFruitSalad on June 13, 2020, 09:00:03 PM
I'm sure we could have a reasonable middle ground, where plants might decay after, say, a month in game... which is more than enough time to bake a pie, or whatever.

Please, no. Cures are hard enough as it is. Whoever picks the plants may not be the same person that crafts them. Some city-based PC making cures might have multiple people bringing in plants from different parts of the world.

It also makes very little sense for leaves and flowers to rot in a place that has very little humidity.

Yeah Im gonna go with please no..There aren't enough hunters or shops that sell cooking ingredients as is. Good luck trying to get together everything for a dinner party in game that isn't going spoil before you get it to an event without staff having to load it up.  I like the idea of the spoil code but it doesn't work well with the lack ability to get what you need when you need it. I wish more clan kitchens had staple ingredients. Rennik needs to open more fruit and veggie stands ;)