are temporary save rooms feasible?

Started by Lotion, June 05, 2020, 05:00:13 AM

Problem:
The game crashes a lot and sometimes this happens when your backpack is on the ground which seems to happen the most often during sparring. Losing the items you to have with you at all times until staff manages to fulfill your reimbursement request really sucks because it's a vital part of agency. Having your items destroyed by a game glitch and having to wait days to get them back is incredibly demotivating and absolutely has a profound negative impact on RP.

Potential solution:
I'm not claiming it is perfect, there's probably some small problem but I'm posting it on the gdb instead of using the idea tool so that the best possible idea can be found.
Allow certain rooms to be temporary save rooms (referred to as tsave from here on out) which will sometimes activate and deactivate so that items in them will be preserved for a crash but not an intended reboot. A tsave room would not indicate to players when it starts or stops saving its contents because there might be sneaky people sneaking around doing sneaky stuff.

Conditions to turn it into a save room:
* A player logs in to the room (it's also a quit room, someone did wilderness quit, or did quit ooc)
* A player enters the room (gickery or just mundane walk/climb/sneak/run/etc.)

Conditions to deactivate it as a save room:
* The only remaining player in the room quits
* The only remaining player in the room leaves (gickery or just walking)

I believe this would be a good way to prevent people's bags from being destroyed in the event of a crash while they are on the ground in a sparring hall.

tl;dr make it so the sparring rooms are save rooms if at least one person is inside to protect the precious runner backpacks aren't lost in crashes

Not really a comment on the idea, but, having lost a few bags to crashes and lacking fucks to give about getting it back from staff, I learned to make regular use of the SAVE command.

Pack a mount? Mount and SAVE. Drop pack, to spar? SAVE before dropping it. Pick it up after and SAVE. Before/after every single bout. Always.

Can also apply, to pants, underwear and other various things you may need to drop on the floor, prior to "sparring" activities. Unless you spend literal IC days "sparring", anyway.

It helped me avoid crash related issues, so maybe, it'll help you, too.
"Mortals do drown so."