Is Spice Too Expensive?

Started by Gentleboy, June 02, 2020, 08:39:00 AM

I still cannot see why it has been made to decay at all...unless you are trying to get rid of it.

It certainly is not to increase demand...spice simply does not do enough and what it does do does not last long enough to jump through all the hoops.

Oh sure, I have the PC who buys some war spice and maybe never uses it....BUT...with decay that means that type PC never even buys it to begin with.

I have had PCs who used war spices ALL the time...one of the last ones got hit with decay and was like well, if it cannot be depended on then I will not bother...Never purchased for himself again. None of my PCs after that one have...Oh sure, if they find a sifter full on a corpse...windfall sure.

So...My biggest question is...What was the intent behind putting spice decay into the game?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I think the biggest problem is the lack of distribution. There are places in the game world that lack for spice because nobody there is selling it. If there was someone to stock my character up once a real life month, I would have nothing to complain about.

I can access most of the places in the world that sell it and I still don't bother to buy it.

The decay also means that spice cannot function as a hedge, or security, against Templarate, Senate or even GMH meddling with the funds of your bank account. You can no longer have a brick of something nice in reserve, for when you need to impress, persuade or bribe someone of high influence, because there is no means to secure it long term. If you're waiting on having a some smuggled in, in order to use as a bribe, to save your ass? You're already dead, dude.

The game and the politics, proceed too quickly, to wait a for RL weeks, if not longer, for someone to jump through every respective hoop, in order to make it happen. And people will no longer be impressed even IF you manage, because really, what is a several hour a day sponsor role going to do, with a whole brick of spice? That's a lot of spice, and unless you're overtly passing it out like candy, its going to decay long before you can ever use it all.

There were, probably, more uses for spice as a currency, than as a thing for PCs to use with any practicality, all of which vanished the instant it could no longer be reliably kept in reserve for those purposes, when the time was right.
"Mortals do drown so."

I would absolutely love to see new spice items. Cheaper spice, less effective spice.

Tweak the decay code (it really is so rapid that it is currently an obstacle to spice use and trading as opposed to an assistance to spice trading by decaying pc/clan stockpiles).

Add in a little bit of crafting code with spice, allow for 'cutting' with bulking/unhelpful/(Poisonous???) additives.
"Here's your spice Lord Templar, it's good stuff, don't have your poison tester or elf taste tester try it out. You can totally trust me"

;)
Veteran Newbie

hell yes, someone else who sees the potential for crafts and roleplay like this!
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

There are currently items in the game, certain lichens, that have equal effects to low-dose spice that people can get for absolutely free.
The ability to -cut- the weak lichen with the full spice for larger sums of 'slightly weaker' spice-infused powder, OR combine the providing powder to make -DOUBLE STRENGTH- spice would be absolutely fucking sick. I would say making the weaker stuff takes the cooking skill, allowing basically anyone to work as a 'spice mixer' but someone with the brewing skill able to make whole, full-fledged 'Spicepowder'.

That way, we have four tiers of drugs.

Tribals and hunters know that they can get lichens to get their high, but know there's money in the spice trade if they can find it.
Regular criminals get the lichen from the tribes and hunters and cut it with spice they managed to get a good deal on. The mix with lichen with the spice can be cut into a gritty, almost rock-like powder when boiled together and dried out. The total sum of spice, since it's been drawn out, is slightly greater than the sum of it's parts due to not wasting a bit of the lichen or spice, but each dose is roughly half-strength. Good for: Poorer people wanting to have fun, addicts trying to not hit withdrawl,  or people concerned about addiction, or someone who needs a stockpile. DOES NOT GO BAD, or has an -extremely long- timer to go bad, due to it's dried out mixed state. Still illegal in Allanak, but worth a lesser charge than straight spice.
Regular spice can function as it does. Pure, powerful. Often used by merchants, or anyone who needs to take it for hunting and fighting. Goes bad relatively quickly when stored improperly, but can be kept.
Infused Spice is the marriage of Spice Mix and regular spice. Further distilled down into an extremely fine powder that looks like an extremely fine sand. Is -triple- strength of regular spice, but considering it is made of a mix of Spice Mix (which is made in bulk) and regular spice (Which is still relatively common, but slightly more pricy) it is slightly cheaper than buying three doses of the same spice but far quicker and easier to take. Great for high-end warriors that need that potent edge. Highly addictive if used often, but the benefits are great.

I know this could take a lot of work to code in, but having cheaper/ more expensive drugs than just 'regular spice' can add flair to it.

Spice in sizes above pinches knots should not decay, to better justify the expense.  There is currently no reason to buy these, ever.  Once pinches are cut off them, they can begin decay as normal.

Also, I would like to see a non-spice smokeable (tobacco or its analogue) added. This seems like a no-brainer to me.  If you're still looking for more reasons to make the silt sea useful, an extensive tobacco plantation in a unique climate on one of the far sides would be neat.

Quote from: Erythil on June 05, 2020, 01:38:59 AM
Spice in sizes above pinches knots should not decay, to better justify the expense.  There is currently no reason to buy these, ever.  Once pinches are cut off them, they can begin decay as normal.

Also, I would like to see a non-spice smokeable (tobacco or its analogue) added. This seems like a no-brainer to me.  If you're still looking for more reasons to make the silt sea useful, an extensive tobacco plantation in a unique climate on one of the far sides would be neat.

Agreed.