Types of Dusts

Started by Cordon, May 27, 2020, 01:54:58 AM

Curious if anyone has brought up the idea of having most the one type of dust..
Look at (person's) dust to see what kind of dust they may have..
Salty dust, Silty dust, redish dust..

Would be nice to see where someone was coming from wait a glance to the type of dust they are packing around.  This possible?

Surprised really, that this, didn't get much in the way of responses.

It'd be a very subtle, but appreciable, little detail.
"Mortals do drown so."

Fun idea, but I do not see how it is terribly necessary, nor does it add anything that you cannot already do in roleplay.

True, not enough people RP details like being covered in dust, moreover, not enough people RP specifically being covered in darker dust from silt or paler dust from the salt flats. But I do!

And if anything a coded implementation like this might yuck my RP yum, because I enjoy roleplaying this, and because my characters often rides the ENTIRE known, and because this code would likely just layer over the most recent dust encountered, I'll no longer look like that "Badass who came all the way from hunting Bahamets with Northern mud on her boots," this code would just make me look like "Another scrub who rode through the salt flats because that's what she rode through most recently and it covered all her cooler, more exotic dust."

TLDR: written out roleplay accomplishes everything this idea does, and does it better. It might be a nice feature for people who are too lazy/busy to roleplay this, but it actually screws with good roleplayers who already do take this into consideration.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

This is actually a great idea.  +1

Quote from: triste on May 31, 2020, 08:37:28 AM
Fun idea, but I do not see how it is terribly necessary, nor does it add anything that you cannot already do in roleplay.

True, not enough people RP details like being covered in dust, moreover, not enough people RP specifically being covered in darker dust from silt or paler dust from the salt flats. But I do!

And if anything a coded implementation like this might yuck my RP yum, because I enjoy roleplaying this, and because my characters often rides the ENTIRE known, and because this code would likely just layer over the most recent dust encountered, I'll no longer look like that "Badass who came all the way from hunting Bahamets with Northern mud on her boots," this code would just make me look like "Another scrub who rode through the salt flats because that's what she rode through most recently and it covered all her cooler, more exotic dust."

TLDR: written out roleplay accomplishes everything this idea does, and does it better. It might be a nice feature for people who are too lazy/busy to roleplay this, but it actually screws with good roleplayers who already do take this into consideration.

It wouldn't "screw" anyone. It only makes everyone's life a bit easier, if anything, since they don't have to bother adding these details themselves anymore.

And the reason you give doesn't make any sense, seeing as the "exotic" dust you had on you before WOULD be blown off and covered up by wherever you rode through most recently. That, and it wouldn't touch any northern mud on your boots. But if you still want to RP even more layers of dust under the coded layer from other far-off regions, you can still knock yourself out.

I'm in favor of the proposed idea because it adds a subtle detail that I think would enrich the player experience a bit without, hopefully, being too difficult to add in.

It's something you can roleplay already, and it's something people have roleplayed in an excellent way for more than 30 years.

I don't know what this adds, and out of all the features people want that require coded support this one should be considered low priority because it doesn't really add much that you can't already roleplay.

That said, it /is/ a fun idea (very first thing I said) and might be nice if we had infinite coding resources.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

It might be a nice feature for people who are too lazy/busy to roleplay this, but it actually screws with good roleplayers who already do take this into consideration.

Amazing.
"Mortals do drown so."

Yes, amazing: my comments were mostly inspired by a roleplayer who did enotes like this well and she is part of why I am playing again. She didn't need special dust code, and per the arguments previously laid out this change ironically reduces the depth of dust related RP insofar as layering obliterates creative license and indeed contextual accuracy. Why needlessly remove depth of roleplay for those who are already roleplaying it well.

You can roleplay taking your helm off to eat and chat at the bar, but I'd wager not a lot of people were doing that before the recent (Excellent) change. I support harmless reminders to the players of the world around them, to encourage more immersive roleplay. This idea seems worth considering.