The Mindstone

Started by mirk_o_loio, May 26, 2020, 06:50:56 AM

So this is an idea That's been floating around my head for quite some time.

To keep it short at first, I'd love to see some kind of way to communicate ICly with multiple people at the same time. Over the way.

What came to mind (haha) are Mindstones. Stones that are psionically active in a way that they let multiple people 'contact' them, serving as some kind of optional IC chat room.

It'd use the way like with normal contacting, meaning you're unable to way others while in it.
You'd be sending your messages to it, and it sends it to all connected minds.

Would be a great thing to have imho. Altough with some refinement, fine tuning and secret abilities for templars, like being able to be tracked by them if connected to it.

Thoughts?Ideas?
Quote from: nauta on February 23, 2015, 04:50:18 PM
Tek's Balls - See Utep's teeth.

If life gives you lemons, open a lemonade stand untill you make millions, invest into weapons and go to war.

This is a super great idea but the implementation may be tricky. I like that you kept implementation vague [like how would one be added to a stone/room] because Staff would likely need to investigate the best path.

I absolutely adore this idea because it would be greatly helpful for clans / playermade clans especially. And also just generally handy as heck.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

The stones could be clan-locked. Hired into Kurac?Access to their stone. 'Cont stone.kurac'

For cities maybe with citizenship or trough special flags in the rooms. Like, if you're in nak, you can tap into the 'nak stone.

If life gives you lemons, open a lemonade stand untill you make millions, invest into weapons and go to war.

Quote from: mirk_o_loio on May 26, 2020, 08:56:46 AM
The stones could be clan-locked. Hired into Kurac?Access to their stone. 'Cont stone.kurac'

For cities maybe with citizenship or trough special flags in the rooms. Like, if you're in nak, you can tap into the 'nak stone.

Hmm, I'm actually not sure I think this. I think clan and city stones would pop up naturally throu IG happenings. I dont think they need to be encouraged out of the gate and I think the opportunity cost of denying this to indies and player-made clans/outfits is strong.

Are you trying to ballace against some perceived OP aspect of the idea?

I meant more like, the clan and city specific ones should have a bit of access regulations, so you don't have  randos poking in.

Independents could get those stones for a hefty price from te.plars/specific salesmen that are somewhat more psionically gifted to make them (not psion level gifted).

Or find them naturally occuring, hidden ddeeply behind all kinds of psionic monsters guarding em.

Or have playermade 'locks' for them.

Like a number/codeword set to contact it.

'Cont stone.2749373'
'Cont stone.NakSucks'

I considered the idea of conference call Waying the other day.  It would be useful...but, I think having what is essentially a clan chat would change the low fantasy feel too much.

While I ultimately decided against suggesting it, since it has come up...counter proposal...

Multi-contact

Quotecontact amos + tallia +2.lanky

Would cost your 3x the stun for each psi, but you wouldn't have to keep switching minds.

Quotepsi The dragon is out of the nest!
You Way amos: The dragon is out of the nest!
You Way tallia: The dragon is out of the nest!
You Way the lanky woman: The dragon is out of the nest!

They don't have access to a 'channel', or know who else you are talking to, but Templar X, Aide Y, or Byn Serge Z can blast one or two Ways to multiple people in times of RPT or other upheaval to speed up inclusion and response.

Still not sure I'm 100% behind even that (I would love it as an Aide though, so much!), but I really don't want to see global channels popping up...the gritty personal touch is what is good.

What we DON'T want is more people sitting somewhere safe and Waying but never interacting.  Giving them a chatroom...will certainly make that SO much worse!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Quote from: Kyviantre on May 26, 2020, 10:36:22 AM
What we DON'T want is more people sitting somewhere safe and Waying but never interacting.  Giving them a chatroom...will certainly make that SO much worse!

+1

Quote from: Helloworld on May 26, 2020, 07:05:42 PM

+1

Well I guess if we need to Way people, you'd just rather everyone sit in crowded places where the bottom of society dwells, waiting to have their bags and pockets picked clean, or worse?

Quote from: NinjaFruitSalad on May 26, 2020, 08:33:54 PM

+1

Well I guess if we need to Way people, you'd just rather everyone sit in crowded places where the bottom of society dwells, waiting to have their bags and pockets picked clean, or worse?

That isn't the problem, really. The issue is never ever leaving the compound because you never have to.

Quote from: mirk_o_loio on May 26, 2020, 06:50:56 AM
You'd be sending your messages to it, and it sends it to all connected minds.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1459

IRC waystones! omg!

Maybe the ability to create one could branch from expel?

Not a fan of further encouraging use of the Way over in-character meet-ups. Especially as someone who's run a clan.

Quote from: Hauwke on May 27, 2020, 01:01:55 AM

+1

That isn't the problem, really. The issue is never ever leaving the compound because you never have to.

This complaint is exaggerated.

A better question is, why do so many people think it's an issue?

If highborns and merchants seeming so untouchable is a problem, perhaps ways to infiltrate their compounds would be a great solution.

If you actually want these people leaving their compounds? Give them a good reason to counteract the prospect of being killed/mugged.

Don't derail the topic, or I'll PK y'all.

That aside, I like the idea that it could branch from expel... but only when expel is truly maxed.

+1

If they're in a clan, they can hang out in their clan hall.
If they are the bottom of society, then yes - absolutely - they should be sitting in crowded places where their slice of society dwells, waiting to have their bags and pockets picked clean or worse.

Also if you can successfully way 5 people at the same time, there's zero opportunity for miscommunication and as such, zero chance for increased drama/rumor/gossip/political posturing.

Amos tells Malik over the way "Tell Templar Jal I found his aide's corpse outside the city. Saw a mage mount nearby, sign of struggle, and a dead salt worm. I think he was murdered!"

Malik tells Jal's other aide "Tell LT Jal that Binty was killed by a rogue pitting a pet salt worm against him. I think it was that whiran who we saw fighting salt worms last week!"

Other aide tells LT Jal: "Talia murdered Binty outside the gate!"

Truth: The aide was a rogue whiran and took his mage mount out to hunt salt worms. He lost the fight.

There's SO much more interesting plotline that can come from a psionic game of "Operator" than if everyone can hear the exact same story from the same person.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike the idea thematically.

Sure, its a magick fantasy world, but it really doesn't feel like a psionic stone would make a lot of sense.
Also waying more than one person and NOT being a psionicist sounds like some psionicist bullshit to me.

It sounds like something Tuluk would have researched, to generate a propaganda machine. Loudspeakers on every corner reminding you that the Sun King is watching. Even then, a 'stone' or object for it sounds farfetched, and to me would just be someone with great psionic abiilities.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

So....you want to be a mantis.

If you'll let me play one, you fuckin' betcha I do! I'll store and hop into that today.

Public forum 'Waystones' for each settlement would be kind of useful and funny but only if they were also being used by all of the random fucking npcs that constantly send stupid bullshit messages.

You link your mind with the Allanaki Waystone.

From the Allanaki Waystone, a blood-haired, winkle-faced goon says, "SO THERE I WAS RIGHT, JUST FUCKIN' PISSING BLOOD"
From the Allanaki Waystone, a tawdry, soft-cheeked whore says, "Selling my services, one small per hour~ I'll be in the Gaj!"
From the Allanaki Waystone, a blood-haired, wrinkle-faced goon says, "AND HIS HALF-ELF JUST DIVES IN AT MY DICK WITH THEIR TONGUE OUT
From the Allanaki Waystone, a cheerful, warm-worded buddy says, "Remember, shop Salarr, and you'll go far! Buy arms and armor today!"
From the Allanaki Waystone, a blood-haired, wrinkle-faced goon says, "AND I'M LIKE 'BRO WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING'"
From the Allanaki Waystone, a warped, piss-scented mutant says, "I was sooooo thirsty..."
To the Allanaki Waystone, you say, "What the fuck did I just Way into?"
From the Allanaki Waystone, a warped, piss-scented mutant says, "Aaah, I've been looking for you, Amos. Where -are- you?"

Exactly, Adam. Something like this exists in a Cyberpunk MOO I play. You got a network, mostly populated by players, and at some points some random sdescs/NPCs broadcast a random message, some even talking to one another... or calling for backup if attacked.

----> This could also explain how if you attack a single Militia Soldier, the entire known Army of the Highlord -immediately- knows of it.

I know this MOO of which you speak, and what AdamBlue posted is the ARM version of that network, to the goddamn tee. And I just laughed so hard thinking about it.

Sounds like a great idea for a nilazi spell actually.

A group think spell for the least group friendly class in the game.

And of course possibly,  a skill a mind bender could use.   Grab groups of people (Wanting or not) into a big group think.  Definitely something a red robe should be able to do.