Trap skill (Wildness/City)

Started by Dresan, May 20, 2020, 05:50:16 PM

Sometimes I am hanging around a location and see someone pass by so quickly that I barely have time to type ' look figure' before they are gone.

My idea for trap is simple.

All trap would do is delay the first person to walk into the area. The city version would just work on people, while the wilderness version would just work on mounts.

While the delay would be very noticeable, once the delay is done, they would merely need to type break trap and move on their merry way. Other than getting delayed, they wouldn't be hurt in any way. And if someone starts combat with them, they would be able flee unless of course the other person starts off with a bash or something.In many cases you can even consider these traps as just distraction to a person or mount buy someone else time to perform another action.

If you have scan equal or greater than the level of trap set, then the trap will be spotted and will not trigger. In short, traps will be useless on anyone with master scan. I see miscreant/stalker with master trap, while infiltrator/scout with advance version to match their scan levels.  You should only be able to set up one trap and that trap will remain until you log off or someone trips it.
Finally city traps would only work in city areas that aren't flagged as crowded.

Basically, the whole point of traps is to allow interaction which would otherwise be prevented by the game's movement speed vs a players typing speed.

May 20, 2020, 05:57:15 PM #1 Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:16:34 PM by NinjaFruitSalad
Interesting idea, but the problem is I do see this kind of action as a form of aggression and harassment. It's hardly a "RP tool" in my eyes...

So in a city environment, I could imagine people immune to being crime-flagged using it (like militia), but anyone else would likely (and rightly) get in trouble.

May 20, 2020, 06:04:56 PM #2 Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:10:38 PM by Dresan
Well the worse case scenario is some is delayed for a couple seconds before moving on if no one is there to initiate any more interaction.

Perhaps in order to use the trap skill some material would be required. Not hard to get but would cost something(15-30 coins) to keep people from using it for no good reason unless they want to burn coins. 

Not sure about getting crim-flagged though for setting up what is essentially a distraction.

It would only work on one person before being damaged so it wouldn't make sense (also be annoying) for it to work in any heavily populated (crowded) places.

>Well the worse case scenario is some is delayed for a couple seconds before moving on.

Could mean literal death out in the sands, less likely but could lead to death in city too.

I really like the idea, but as an expensive deployable item, like a tent, instead of a skill. Could be used to protect yourself from anyone riding/sneaking up on you, to catch someone trying to get away from you, lots of cool ideas. And making it something you set up both makes sense and means that if you leave it behind someone else can take it for their own use.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Originally I was thinking how this might work if it were a craft skill item that anyone could use, the problem is you would have more wide spread use and potential annoyance.

That said, I agree if you can see the trap, you should have the option to disarm it and have a chance to collect the materials used.

I actually really like this idea, I think it could be used really well as part of a harassment campaign against an individual/clan.

The more I think about it, actually, the more I like it.

Interesting idea. I think we'd need to limit traps active per person however. Otherwise I'm making a horrible douche of a raider who'll make a bunch of money and setting about thirty of these in chokepoints and escape routes. Then I'll just wait.