New 'Reveal' command

Started by Miggy, May 08, 2020, 02:54:50 PM

I know, I know. Stuff has been suggested before but I can't find the threads.... so.... Suggestion.

New 'reveal' command.

You see *a tall, strange shadow* is here. You can attempt to 'reveal shadow', ignore it, or watch it like normal.

What you see if you choose to reveal. " You attempt to reveal a strange shadow"

The strange shadow sees, "sdesc is trying to reveal you!"

There would be a significant delay, perhaps even tied to the 'search' skill, in which the shadow may:

sneak <direction>, which would be no different than currently, depending on peoples perception skills if they notice anything, and your stealth skills whether you can get away with no one noticing.

walk <direction> which might show 'a strange shadow slips out to the <direction>, not even showing the cloaked sdesc or otherwise.

flee <direction> which would allow a flee as normal, dependent on the skill for direction and everyone else could see still 'a strange shadow flees <direction>.

If the shadow does not respond in some way, they would be revealed as their current sdesc, 'the figure in whatever' as it is now, and actions would have to be taken to not be looked at or captured or what have you.

Thoughts?

I know stuff like this has been suggested, but I'm not sure what has been decided or not so don't skewer me, k? :)

Not all who wander are lost
-Gandalf the Grey-
Quote from: Lizzie on November 09, 2018, 12:42:11 PM

But - would like to see random bits of brain matter among the pools of blood. That'd be cool.

You see *a tall, strange shadow* is here. You can attempt to 'reveal shadow', ignore it, or watch it like normal.

>Kill works fine

Quote from: BadSkeelz on May 08, 2020, 03:00:20 PM

>Kill works fine

Or threaten.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Guess I did not make it clear, but a successful reveal would force the shadow from hiding so others could see them as well.
Not all who wander are lost
-Gandalf the Grey-
Quote from: Lizzie on November 09, 2018, 12:42:11 PM

But - would like to see random bits of brain matter among the pools of blood. That'd be cool.

I kinda like this idea. Would make sense that if a PC can engage it in an emote, the others should be able to see it too, since hide isn't invisibility.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Kankfly on May 09, 2020, 01:43:04 AM
I kinda like this idea. Would make sense that if a PC can engage it in an emote, the others should be able to see it too, since hide isn't invisibility.

This.  Had some bizarre interactions with my last character because of a lack of a coded way to reconcile these two facts.
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

Quote from: Saiseiki on May 09, 2020, 05:56:35 AM

This.  Had some bizarre interactions with my last character because of a lack of a coded way to reconcile these two facts.

If you get spotted as a sneaky character in a closed room, you are shit at RP if you stay hidden just because you codedly can even though one of the guys can see you with their scan. Just my opinion on the matter.

Quote from: Hauwke on May 09, 2020, 06:35:11 AM
Quote from: Saiseiki on May 09, 2020, 05:56:35 AM

If you get spotted as a sneaky character in a closed room, you are shit at RP if you stay hidden just because you codedly can even though one of the guys can see you with their scan. Just my opinion on the matter.

I *think* it was an NPC.  But fair enough.  :)
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

Here we go, another thread.

Let's not give non-stealthies a way to completely make stealthies invalid so your heavy combat can roflstomp them in 2 rounds of combat.

When you spot a hidden whoever, there's no guarantee you'll see them again, or the next 10 times you spam look.

Reveal should be subject to that as well. If you cant consistently spot the shadow, sorry no cigar.

People will abuse the heck out of this, lets not give scan a massive buff - without compensating the stealthy that just spent their entire characters career building up to the point they get one shot by private amos who *swears* they saw something and proceeds to reveal spam in every room.

Just noting two things from a technical perspective:
- Other games, like SOI have a point command which was well used and liked. The OP is going beyond those simple "point" or reveal commands in adding a time delay and a check, which is an improvement and ameliorates concerns about how this hurts stealth characters.
- Currently the only way to reveal someone forcibly is to take some hostile action, like an attack. Adding a reveal command as described here adds two things by [1] Allowing the stealthy to respond while someone is trying to reveal them [2] Allowing the non-stealthy a means of interacting with this shadow besides "kill shadow"

So if anything this idea from OP adds more gameplay AND roleplay for both stealth AND non-stealth characters. It's a good idea!

PS: Spamming look without time delay to have multiple scan checks is notoriously one of the most broken things about this game. Adding more nuance to the code might help un-break this and allow Imms to also tweak that code as well.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

May 12, 2020, 11:23:34 AM #10 Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:26:33 AM by Doublepalli
All you have to do is "watch shadow."  Technically you don't even have to see them. You could spam it and pray you catch a watch.

Reveal is extra steps.

The moment you watch a hidden PC or NPC you can see them with a simple look/look shadow and attack them.

Vice versa, the stealthy can rehide and potentially break the watch if their hide dwarfs your watch skill/wis bonuses but

They are revealed for a brief duration while rehiding.

So far anti stealth measures are definitely abused.

On the other hand, alot of irresponsible players abuse stealth like they are magickally invis.

Or the fact you can spot a hidden whiran easier than a hidden mundane.

So whats the middle ground? Stealthies MUST have an advantage in regards to stealth.

If you don't have scan, you chose that imo.

Missing the point here, Palli, I think.

Its not for PC A to notice them, its for PC A to point out the shadow to PC B, so PC B can react accordingly.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.