hemote and being hidden

Started by Dresan, May 08, 2020, 11:20:20 AM

I am not sure if h-emote is taking into account a person's hidden status and level.

I know we have s-emote but it would be great that if thecharacter is hidden hemote that someone would only have a chance to notice if you can either see the person or are actively watching them.

In situations where remaining unnoticed  is important, timing is crucial and/or failure is devastating it is painful to emotes until its time to escape.  That is okay since previous staff in the past have stated that "emoting does not equal good Roleplaying", bbut i would I still like try to make scenes more interesting and engaging whenever possible even if its for my eyes only. 

+1 to this. I also find that hemoting in hidey situations helps me find a nice tempo for the actions IG.

The time-flow aspect of IG time is already pretty janky and these self-imposed constraints work well for my immersion.

IE. One IG hour is 10 RL mins. Therefor the only issues with "spamming" commands are OOC considerations, it's to do with player experience, not IG "spammyness". Even taking actions as fast as you codedly can would be the equivalent of someone taking comically long to do more or less everything they do.

Emoting is what brings immersion level time-flow to interactions with the game world and help, in the case of hidey stuff, actually gimp the effectiveness of sneaky play a little, which is imo currently balanced in favour of the hider*. Esp in a world where people ride the action lock timers for skills and queue multiple commands (which honestly is unavoidable and not, in principle, a thing I disagree with doing)

*Here I'm referring to the time it takes to type the emote(s), not the chance for getting seen. I am agreeing that the chance for your hemote being seen should scale with hide status, hide skill level, perception skill of witnesser etc.

Quote from: Dresan on May 08, 2020, 11:20:20 AM
I am not sure if h-emote is taking into account a person's hidden status and level.

I know we have s-emote but it would be great that if thecharacter is hidden hemote that someone would only have a chance to notice if you can either see the person or are actively watching them.

I thought this was exactly how it worked already. What do you want to change?

If that is already how it works, not sure the help files are that clear on it. And based on recent experience I am not sure it does work like that unfortunately.

It does not specify this in the helpfiles, so please submit a request to have it added. I don't know how to explain it, without explaining the mechanics of how or when hide can be broken.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 09, 2020, 05:10:36 PM
It does not specify this in the helpfiles, so please submit a request to have it added. I don't know how to explain it, without explaining the mechanics of how or when hide can be broken.

Someone who is sure that it works this way would have to do it since frankly I've seen it work to the contrary 

I simply don't understand what seems to be different (or work differently) from what was described in the first post. Can anyone explain?

May 09, 2020, 10:35:55 PM #7 Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:38:53 PM by Helloworld
Quote from: rinthrat on May 09, 2020, 07:22:46 PM
I simply don't understand what seems to be different (or work differently) from what was described in the first post. Can anyone explain?

What I took OP to mean is that if you are hidden from another pc. IE they look and cannot see you in the room. Then when you hemote they should have an additional (and dramatic) penalty to their chance at seeing your hemote. An increase that could, theoretically, scale with the hiders hide skill.

I understand his implicaction to be that, currently, there is a flat chance for people in the room to see your hemote, affected by their active and passive perception skills, not affected by your hide status, skills and modifiers.

Is that more clear?

Hello world pretty much got it.

semote takes into account hidden status but frankly i think hemote should too.

You should not have a chance to notice a hemote if you cannot see the person at all.