Notes on the Home Page (and other related topics)

Started by number13, April 29, 2020, 10:51:46 PM

April 29, 2020, 10:51:46 PM Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:53:29 PM by number13
Some notes, if anyone cares -- the TMS voting buttons on the main page now essentially do nothing, and the 'Vote Mud Connector' button errors out. TMS has been down for a while now, I guess. Maybe coincides with a reduction in new player accounts, too.

The Twitter account, with a prominent view on the homepage, hasn't been updated since 2019. It could be better just to remove mention of it.

There's no obvious link on the homepage (or anywhere else) for the Discord server.

I very much doubt the "get live help" button will actually result in any help being achieved. And even if it does, Discord is a better option.

And finally, partly for my own benefit, party for returning vets, newer players it would be nice if there was a list of pregenerated 0-karma roles that you could just step into, without having to worry about writing up descs and backgrounds and such. Bonus points if the roles already have some defined place in the world -- like membership with the Byn.

Quote from: number13 on April 29, 2020, 10:51:46 PM
Some notes, if anyone cares -- the TMS voting buttons on the main page now essentially do nothing, and the 'Vote Mud Connector' button errors out. TMS has been down for a while now, I guess. Maybe coincides with a reduction in new player accounts, too.

The Twitter account, with a prominent view on the homepage, hasn't been updated since 2019. It could be better just to remove mention of it.

There's no obvious link on the homepage (or anywhere else) for the Discord server.

I very much doubt the "get live help" button will actually result in any help being achieved. And even if it does, Discord is a better option.

And finally, partly for my own benefit, party for returning vets, newer players it would be nice if there was a list of pregenerated 0-karma roles that you could just step into, without having to worry about writing up descs and backgrounds and such. Bonus points if the roles already have some defined place in the world -- like membership with the Byn.

I like the idea, but who will write up all those descs and backgrounds? Are you thinking maybe they can be unimportant, random common NPCs, until someone apps for one of them and just kind of takes them over? Cause that's not a bad idea.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

i love that idea.

here's a biography I once actually managed to get approved

QuoteSand.  Greb.  Booze.  Sand.  Blood.  Booze.  Sand.  Assholes.  Booze.
Sand.  Heat.  Booze.  Sand.  Loss.  Booze.  Sand.  Death.  Sand.  And on
occasion - the whores.  Street.  Bowing.  Booze.  Street.  Shit.  Booze.
Street.  Bribes.  Booze.  Street.  Beatings.  Booze.  Street.  Assholes.
Booze.  Street.  Blood.  Booze.  Street.  Loss.  Booze.  Street.  Stink.
Booze.  Street.  Death.  Street.  And on occasion - the whores. 

My point is that it's very doable to create a number of pregenerated roles for new people to try out.   I dont know if we can work out the mdesc to be proper enough. But if we could, the newbies could even enter the game immediately, without waiting for approval.

April 30, 2020, 02:16:05 PM #3 Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:45:44 PM by number13
Quote from: Lizzie on April 30, 2020, 08:45:41 AM
I like the idea, but who will write up all those descs and backgrounds?

I don't know about you, but I have 100 shitty descs on previous characters, many of them pretty generic. If there was a call for pre-gens, maybe the community could write them, or twist their previous characters' descs a little bit to make new generic characters. Or there could be a very simple random desc/background generator. It won't make good copy, but likely more serviceable than "This is a tall man with big muscles and tan skin."

I like the idea, but who will write up all those descs and backgrounds? Are you thinking maybe they can be unimportant, random common NPCs, until someone apps for one of them and just kind of takes them over? Cause that's not a bad idea.

Which of the sixteen members of staff might possibly find the time to do so?

Wow, sarcasm makes you look like a gigantic asshole, Greve.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Just a reminder that a player made a nifty character generator here:

http://www.generator.synthasite.com/alternate-zalanthan-character-generator.php

It's also relatively easy to build a generator like this if someone wanted to, here's an example of how one could easily generate a starting sentence madlibs style in python

import random
origin_list = ["Allanak", "Luir's Outpost", "Yaroch Village"]
origin = random.choice(origin_list)
print("You were born in ", origin)
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Quote from: mansa on April 30, 2020, 03:42:32 PM
Wow, sarcasm makes you look like a gigantic asshole, Greve.

I'm afraid I don't really care.