New mount spam is AWFUL!

Started by Kyviantre, April 29, 2020, 02:08:30 PM

Don't know about anyone else...but sheesh!  Between two beetles, they housed 3 birds, 1 lizard, 4 tiny creatures, and a mound of ants within the space of 4 RL minutes (and pooped once).

Point 1) Why are ALL of the spam motes about a domestic mount animal it eating/stalking prey (that is going to get uncomfortable when actually trying to ride it!)

Point 2) Can we get a DRAMATIC slow down on the sheer amount of spam?  They are firing way too quick...and pushing actual roleplay off my screen!

Point 3) I don't know about anyone else, but I like to add personalities my mounts to some extent.  That is kinda ruined, since they are doing things that make no sense.  The more neutral spam mounts used to give left the liberty for individual animal personalities were better.

Anyone else taking the same issue with this?  :-[

(In the short time it took to write ^, they have eaten 2 tiny creature, 5 birds, 3 more ant mounts!!!!)
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I'm all for the changes, so long as all the beetles and lizards get fat over time, as they consume vast swaths of wildlife on every ride.

Seriously though, I assumed it was just some kind of bug and will be fixed to be less silly soon?

Literally just made the comment that at this rate, my two alone will have eaten anything smaller than them within the week, and will be lolloping around trying to chew meks from the ankles up within the week.  My chitin-babies have gone FERAL! :'(

I'm fine with changes...but...this is spamming -way- (WAY!!!) too fast, and the emotes are -much- too specific (and all about eating!).

I thought it was an animate when I first saw it (the pre-RP made the timing good), and then...yeah...all our mounts are going to be fatter than nobles within an IG week!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Please send in a request if it seems much too high.

Be sure to include the exact sdesc of your mount.

As a note, when pooping animals was first added, they pooped waaaaaay too much. The poop will fill the stables and you couldn't lead more mounts in there until you had it all shoveled. So, easily fixable with a request. :-D
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2020, 04:38:55 PM

Oh its MUCH too high like ...outta control.  They be eating critters every two minutes and it makes no sense when you're riding along.  Some of the emotes are like 2 or 3 lines long and super distracting.

Quote from: Bebop on April 29, 2020, 06:47:10 PM

Oh its MUCH too high like ...outta control.  They be eating critters every two minutes and it makes no sense when you're riding along.  Some of the emotes are like 2 or 3 lines long and super distracting.

Riding in a group is CRAZY. The hunting ones fire off every 15 seconds or so with enough people.

It absolutely has to be toned back.

Have to make up for not eating but pooping for so long!

But seriously, which mounts.  Not sure if it is all of them or just a few.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2020, 07:05:55 PM

Scarlet warbeetles do it, as do the glossy ones.

I haven't noticed anything unusual from muddled or purple beetles.

*sigh*

Some of you really know how to make a staffer feel motivated. One of the team spent a LOT of time working on this to give you all something new/interesting to work with or use. Nice.

Submit a bug/report - it'll get fixed.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

Quote from: Shabago on April 29, 2020, 09:37:59 PM
*sigh*

Some of you really know how to make a staffer feel motivated. One of the team spent a LOT of time working on this to give you all something new/interesting to work with or use. Nice.

Trying to guilt trip people for saying that something is annoying on the basis that someone else spent a long time making it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation or the issue at hand: That the message plays far too often, is disrupting, and/or is incredibly distracting to roleplay. There is no one saying that their work isn't appreciated for trying to bring flavor to the game, and they should take no offense: It is merely an issue in regards to the incredible frequency of it happening to the point it's creating spam that disrupts people.
If the person in question is truly upset, I cannot speak for everyone else, but the general intention seems to be that it is something new, and while older messages have become almost blocked by the psyche for their incredible frequency as of late, new ones immediately strike one's attentions. Give it time, and it'll simply become background flavor that people can automatically sort out of their vision when important things are happening.

Imagine needing to roleplay around a mount

This post made by the d-elf gang

Hmmm, lets see...oh, nope, no bug reports in the request tool.

Must not be that big of an issue!

*don't report bugs here, don't report them in Discord

*sigh*

I do think the OP could have been nicer about it, but the fact still remains.

Like all new things, there are usually bugs, unforeseen consequences, and unintended behaviors that come with them. They just need to be tweaked out.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 30, 2020, 12:27:13 AM

Be careful what you wish for!  Now I foresee like ten people sending a report in for the same issue!   :P

Quote from: NinjaFruitSalad on April 30, 2020, 12:37:27 AM
*sigh*

I do think the OP could have been nicer about it, but the fact still remains.

Like all new things, there are usually bugs, unforeseen consequences, and unintended behaviors that come with them. They just need to be tweaked out.

Be careful what you wish for!  Now I foresee like ten people sending a report in for the same issue!   :P

Which shouldn't be a problem at all. If there's an issue with a newly implemented code, they should be sent via request tool so that staff can handle it. Posting it on gdb doesn't help very much because we have the request tool for it. This is like posting on the gdb saying the entire game sucks because of bug a and bug b, not helpful for improving the game in anyway. If there is a bug, send it through the request tool.
I ruin immershunz.

I do think Shabago's response was a bit over the top, though... Nobody said this new feature was bad. It's just too excessive, too repetitive, and happens WAY too often, disrupting normal play. If a perfumier poured 5 bottles of the finest perfume in the world onto your face, you'd probably go "what the fuck that's a lot of perfume, cough cough I can't breathe", no matter the quality of the perfume.

Like... not everything is an attack. Sometimes things are just criticism. Constructive criticism, in this case.

The "WELP GUESS IT ISNT AN ISSUE LOL :D" isn't really necessary either... What's with all the combatitiveness lately? I get Covid is working us all up, but come the fuck on, can we all just be adults to eachother and stop assuming we're all innately at eachothers throats and trying to undermine eachother? Please.

Let's be good about things. Let's be good to eachother.
Lizard time.

April 30, 2020, 03:19:14 AM #18 Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:24:53 AM by MatisseOrOtherwise
To clarify as simply as possible (which is to avoid confusion, not to insult your intelligences, and no this isn't sarcasm) : I like mounts eating. Mounts should not eat every 10 seconds (yes that is an exaggeration for emphasis). Realism - present or no - should be discarded here in favour of playability. 30 minutes, maybe an hour, per nibble would be lovely. Yes, this probably would be best put into a bug report. No, I will not put it into a bug report. My qualms are with the statements made here, which are combatitive, not with the persons themselves nor the work.
Lizard time.

The mounts eating every ten seconds is a bug. If your mount is going crazy, bug it, letting Staff know which mounts and where.

If I don't see y'alls name in the bug reporting list, y'alls bitches. (Or just riding in terrain that hasn't fired any emotes yet, since I still haven't seen anything new from mine) :(

Quote from: AdamBlue on April 29, 2020, 10:57:15 PM
*sigh*

Trying to guilt trip people for saying that something is annoying on the basis that someone else spent a long time making it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation or the issue at hand: That the message plays far too often, is disrupting, and/or is incredibly distracting to roleplay. There is no one saying that their work isn't appreciated for trying to bring flavor to the game, and they should take no offense: It is merely an issue in regards to the incredible frequency of it happening to the point it's creating spam that disrupts people.
If the person in question is truly upset, I cannot speak for everyone else, but the general intention seems to be that it is something new, and while older messages have become almost blocked by the psyche for their incredible frequency as of late, new ones immediately strike one's attentions. Give it time, and it'll simply become background flavor that people can automatically sort out of their vision when important things are happening.

Shabago's frustration is valid. Three people posted a concern. Brokkr gave instructions on how to get it addressed. Five more people followed with complaints, one of them twice, about the same concern that Brokkr already said could be addressed via the request tool.

Instead of saying "oh thanks Brokkr!" they felt it more important to complain about the thing that was already addressed. It makes a person feel like crap, when they're the one who brought the thing to life in the first place.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

While I don't love the post title, I do appreciate the feedback. We could really use your help on this while we iron it out. These are the response of a secondary function we're putting in that I think you'll like, not just flair to distract from your story.

They shouldn't be firing while mounted/riding. That's being adjusted, along with the frequency.

For now, if you're in the middle of a scene and getting too many echos, rest your mount. That should solve it. This also goes for if you feel your mount's persona wouldn't apply to hunting behaviors.

Be kind.
Be calm.
Be safe.

These are the words with which the chief medical officer where I live closes every one of her daily briefings. They've become a mantra which brings comfort to us all.

I think we could stand to be a lot kinder to each other on these boards.  C'mon people.  This game we all play should be an escape where we can feel safe.  I suggest everybody read or re-read Draugr's open letter:

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,55663.0.html

I apologize if you felt I belittled.  I am guessing that it was my third post, which was meant humorously, if a little poke to get someone to actually put in a Bug request, as well as clarifying that the GDB doesn't count as a Bug request, in case people didn't realize that.

This one seems fairly straightforward.

Quote from: Brokkr on April 29, 2020, 07:05:55 PM

This one seems like an attempt at humor?

This was presented in the OP as a huge issue.  OK, we get it.  Report it.  Not here.  Not in Discord.  In case there was any doubt whether someone experiencing this should report it, no, there wasn't anyone who had reported it properly.  There still isn't anyone who has put in a Bug report about it, despite the amount of conversation in this thread.

While this post can put us on alert about an issue, it is not a Bug report.  It isn't logged as such.  Our coders do not look on the GDB for bugs.  We are not going to have the conversation back and forth that needs to be had to figure out a few things here (while riding, while resting, which mount, where did it occur, did it occur the whole ride, did you have multiple mounts, were they all the same kind of mount, other stuff).

One more time.  If you want to see this fixed and have had an issue with it, please report it in the Request tool as a Bug.