Author Topic: post fun ideas for events players can run without staff helping  (Read 541 times)

Lotion

Post any idea for a player run event that pops into your mind. I sometimes have them pop into my head but then throw them out because my character can't just go do that.

A few of mine:
  • The Red Storm Regatta: sports of some kind on the silt sea
  • An underground boxing ring, could be a fun periodic thing
  • Kank racing
  • Olympics? in the arena? i guess
  • have the Atrium students do some historical plays. would be a cool way to bring the history in the docs to life!
  • violent, drunken byn parties at the Gaj
  • drunk/spicy improv slam poetry at red's
  • paul bunyan field day up at morin's
  • art gallery at the arboretum

Narf

Re: post fun ideas for events players can run without staff helping
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »
Kank racing would have a very low participation rate I imagine.

Now a foot race, or erdlu race or the like... Maybe race humans on erdlu versus elves. Do it out in the wilderness to allow for more hanky panky and cheating, with a few obstacles or requirements that would keep people from just speed walking it.

I really like the underground boxing ring, but I think I must be one of the few. People try and start them every now and then and they never get traction. I think I've seen three now that were started and collapsed shortly after.

I feel like there should be more turf struggles in the Rinth, preferably with more variety than just "East versus West."

Kyviantre

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 07:59:10 PM »
Kank racing would have a very low participation rate I imagine.

Not sure about just 'very low participation'.  Ignoring kank disease causing people being unwilling to touch them... the kanks being dead means that it is going to be considerably less exciting and high octane action than slug-racing! ;D
Previous of note: Kyviantre, Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Kaona, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer the Guilder/Kadian, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide'
Current: Like I'd tell you..

Ourla

• My Art Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:23:55 AM »
Iíve always thought of these PC-driven events as maximum participation, minimum effort, especially when it comes to involving staff. If your PC sets a date, finds some prizes, and gets the word out, people WILL come and most of them will hopefully have a good time.

- gaming contests (dice, darts and Tekís Tower are inclusive for all)

- lore shows (including the aforementioned slam poetry, or rhymes, or dirty limericks, or patriotic tunes... give those thirsty bards a platform to shake their bells and whistles)

- fashion show: itís not what you wear, itís how fierce you are when you walk the walk

- love love love the art show idea. Low commitment, maximum enjoyment. Bring drinks and cheese! Pinkies up!

- auctions are fun... why not one for commoners? Get some cheap goodies off your hands and make some Bynners and Rinthers Ďgasm in joy.

- crafting competitions!! Who can make the coolest item in the shortest amount of time? Not sure how to judge? Hold a round of applause.

At the end of the day, though, participants should feel free to make their mark on events. Tell a dirty story! Offend someone with those sexy panties you can make!

In my early days, I was playing a Tuluki Dasari nobleís aide and Kurac threw a bomb party. They had a drinking contest where you took shots and tried to run from Point A to Point B and back, as fast as you could. There was spice. There was merriment. My character was hired to provide bawdy songs for entertainment.

When the party started winding down, I started an epic food fight with mounds of pie Iíd spent weeks making (with my patronís permission). Flour on my face, drop emotes showing pie flying through the room. My PC ended up with a Kuraci family member upending an entire barrel of ale over her head. The Kuracs never suspected a thing when the party started, and my character got T I P S. They loved it.

Think outside the box. Be weird. You can stir the pot in SO many awesome ways without the support of the imms or a House.
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 08:05:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure most of the events (and pop up ones) that the two current players of the Chosen Lord Winrothol and Lord Fale were mostly done without staff support.

I tired to run events but the problem is the participation rate, even during peak. I'm still grateful for people coming to them but still. Is it normal for most of these events to have low participation rate?

triste

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 08:12:57 AM »
I love PC driven events and I think a lot more go on than people realize but the comms are harder to globally and anonymously broadcast than official RPTs so it is naturally hard to get attendance for these!

I just wanted to mention that for another mud I wrote a discord bot that anonymously posts player announcements and has been tested with two player RPTs with good results. I would be happy to share this code with Arma staff if there is interest! It could also be used for rolecalls.

But yes good ideas so far, competitions are always fun and easy to run, I love the art gallery idea, some ideas I havent seen here are cooking contests/potlucks and tribal ceremonies [I have seen some amazing player created tribal clans and this would be a cool way for them to share culture!!]
will do my best to maintain https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/, message me if something there needs an update.

Narf

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 01:16:40 PM »
One idea I had for a purely player run event is to set up a regular "shop" in the market that appears at the same time every week. You can announce it on the board, and just have people collect stuff to sell in one location at one time. It might be like one of those community garage sales, or you might force everyone to use you as the middle man, or maybe you're just so good at collecting rare odds and ends you don't need anyone else.

The wildly shifting inventory would likely pique people's curiosity, and once people got used to it you could invigorate interest by advertising all sorts of unusual items that you collected for the next sale. Further, this is the sort of event any lowborn could run without help from above. And what if a few folks got together to run it at the same time? Boom, pop-up bazaar.

Aruven

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 11:06:16 PM »
Sky is the limit within social constraints, IMO.

Players at any level of this kind of thing have to agree to kind of play along in a way. The most interesting one i saw was some long ass like whole 3 day event over a RL weekend.

One event they did was having a foot race against an elf, so humans only, around the outer circle, and they had a PC at each gate to verify people were actually running around the city.

I saw someone take a coded treasure in a wagon and have it off loaded out at the far end of the salt flats and straight up had bloodsport games where people hunted each other until someone claimed the prize.

The limit on organizing things like this seems to be my personal willingness to go through stuff like the details of posting, posting again on IC rumor boards to arrange a playtime, etc.

- Exotic animal hunt  (Alive only!)
- DANCES (Bards? Amiright?)
- I won't touch on possible uses of things like an arena
- Shit, stage a gang war. House aides challenge each other to a duel in the alleys and someone makes a profit collecting bets at the fight with a crowd, maybe a militia patrol stumbles along and either joins in or breaks that shit up
- Stage a riot! Can you google and plagiarize some angry protester speech and twist it into a zalanthan battle cry? YOU could incite riots.
- Start a bare-knuckle half-giant boxing rink. Why TF hasn't anyone started pitting big bruisers up with one another and staging fights?
- Start a bizarre cult in the city that ha weekly gatherings for its folks
- Start a FANATICAL cult in the city that does crazy shit for houses and the military, and the HIGHLORD
- Be a huge dick and cause a scene in the bars when everyone is kissing and hugging. Just pick a fight and start a huge brawl.
- Be that guy that organizes supply lines out to the far distant creatures because you want to save their species from extinction (and secretly so you can secure the rights to breeding them ultimately)
- You've got your auctions when times get rough or the warehouse is just ludicrous (GMH folks)
- Storytelling. You'll know it when you see it. Set the atmosphere and foreshadow those quests baby.

I'm gassed but I really feel the sky is the limit. One of the coolest impromptu events that rocked everyone for a day once was some dude randomly showing up in the gaj with a crossbow and staging a robbery. it wasn't listed or arranged a an 'RPT' but it gave a lot of people something to sink into for awhile. 

WarriorPoet

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »
Honestly one of the most memorable and enjoyable scenes I ever participayed in was a huge drunken game of Whira's luck in the Gaj. There were whores and soldiers and Bynners and aides and we all got silly. No bloodshed or pre-arranged antics, just everyone emoting and singing and playing along.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Refugee

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »
Timotheo Fale's little off-the-cuff events were wonderful and many could be done by commoners.  One I remember was having us bet on how many ales a half-giant named Albie could drink without passing out in the Red's.  Of course Albie's drunken giant RP made a lot of the fun.

Make up a game with dice or cards.  Learning to play it is half the fun for others.

Turn loose a jozhal in town and have people try to subdue it.  This was done by a Templar aide once.

Dirty joke contests, storytelling, riddles, always fun.

Drinking contests are always popular if you can afford it.  You can partially subsidize it by charging a small entry fee if you have to, but it's better if you don't.