Give the two hands in the equipment list a special color

Started by anvilsmith, April 05, 2020, 02:49:55 PM

Right now, all equipment entries shown by the eq and look commands, including <primary hand>,
<secondary hand> and <both hands>, are white. If these entries were shown in, say, yellow, then every time someone would type eq or look [someone], they could quickly see whether they or the other person carry items (such as weapons) in their hands. This is useful when:
* you forget to equip your weapons before fighting, or tools before crafting
* you forget to unequip your weapons after fighting, or tools after crafting
* you want to check whether you've put away your sparring weapons
* someone comes in deliberately wielding weapons, and you miss that

I'm proposing that the text looks like this:
<across back>            a small jozhal-hide backpack
<around neck>            a dusky chitin neckguard
<on arms>                a pair of one-striped studded sleeves
<on hands>               a pair of chitin-plated leather gloves
<primary hand>           a jagged-edged bone longknife
<secondary hand>         an obsidian dagger
<on legs>                a set of scrab-shell greaves
<on feet>                a pair of dark-leather boots

This shouldn't be hard to implement.
Thoughts? Ideas?

I like it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Yes please
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

There are currently alternatives until/if such a change occurs.

prompt %A will give you constant feedback via your prompt if you are armed, no need to check equipment.

assess -v [opponenet] will tell you if they are armed, as the last line of the output.

Getting this effect with Mudlet would be fairly simple if you make a trigger that catches <primary hand> and <secondary hand>, and then sets the foreground color. I don't use Mushclient, but I'd guess it and other clients would be able to do the same thing. Here's how the trigger would look in Mudlet.

Ctrl+Alt+h will bring up highlight in Mushclient. You can select any word or phrase, and what color you want it to appear as.

Quote from: cnemus on April 05, 2020, 06:39:12 PM
Ctrl+Alt+h will bring up highlight in Mushclient. You can select any word or phrase, and what color you want it to appear as.
OOh thanks for this. Previouly I was using triggers to highlight entire lines. Being able to highlight specific words is a major boon.

Quote from: cnemus on April 05, 2020, 06:39:12 PM
That is super helpful!  Thank you Cnemus!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I've had trouble getting MUSHclient's highlight code to work while including the < > symbols, so my trigger looks like this, which colors the whole line:

^\<(primary|secondary|both) (hand|hands)\>(.*?)$

Make sure "enabled" and "regular expression" are checked. Then change color and style to whatever you like.