Idea: A diagnose command.

Started by Hauwke, March 26, 2020, 12:40:12 AM

We recently got expanded wounds, but one thing we still lack is a way to tell if someone is wounded beyond the standard injuries.

We all know that roleplaying a single scrab pinch through armor is just a minor wound that doesn't need bandaging. But what about a few of them?

I think it would be super helpful for those that play medic PCs to be able to diagnose a patient and find out whether or not they are going to regain HP without sleep or high quality bandaging.

The idea could be as simple as:
Diagnose Amos
Amos's wounds appear minor enough to not require immediate attention
Or
Amos's wounds appear major and should be treated immediately.

This would also help out with differences of opinion whether that reel you took in training would stop you for the day or not.

Assess -v will show you a list, like:

a minor wound in the left arm
a worrying wound in the back
a critical wound in the neck, which is healing.

I don't remember all the adjectives but it's something like that. Combine with the "he doesn't look well" you can pretty much tell if someone needs to take the rest of the day off, just relax for a few minutes, see the medic, or beg a vivaduan to forgive you for spitting on him and please heal you.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yeah, I think what Lizzie says covers my thoughts on the matter.

I'm not a fan of anyone but the most skilled medics being given definitive yes/nos on how bad someone's wounds are. The bandage skill is pretty common and I'd hate to see situations where a seasoned medic is roleplaying some medicinal stuff for roleplay reasons (hey, medic players like to feel useful) and half the characters in the room just assess them and go "nah Joe's fine, assess says his wounds aren't critical."
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Well, make it require a bandage check? Make it require at least advanced, or even master bandage to get an entirely accurate assessment. Partial failure is inaccurate.

I, for one, would like the 'bandaging' skill changed to 'medic' skill, and to add a bunch of cool little medical commands. Like the previously mentioned 'diagnose'. I would imagine a good doctor would be able to determine if someone is afflicted with a poison more directly, and what kind of poison. There is already capacity for people with the proper bandages and skills to even help combat these poisons without the brewing skill, representing a greater medical knowledge than simply 'bandaging'! (at higher levels)
I'd also like Bandage-Making to Surgerycraft, to make bandages, basic ointments (not the same as brewing, more basic, rudimentary mixes same as herbal-steeped bandages, for road-rash, burns, scrapes, bruises to numb pain and encourage healing from bimbal, runebane, ect), threads and needles, scalpels, forceps, pincers, watered-liquor as well as kankfly maggots for cleaning wounds.
Holding a well-stocked medical kit (probably made of a scalpel, forceps, pincer, needle and thread) in hand would assist with bandaging wounds, like any regular tool, but in a pinch one could 'pull' from it (like with bark from a branch) to get an item that rots relatively quickly if not used quickly, called 'a bundle of herbal medicines' to serve as a 'use' of the medical kit that is to be used as representing using the medical kit itself more directly than just supplementing the surgery itself, with limited uses.

The wealth of knowledge even ancient doctors possessed was quite impressive among the higher tiers. There are many things we have in-game that are surprisingly helpful and not as deadly as one can seem, and there are many things we can use in medical treatments!

Whiskey, piss, as well as fire can serve as excellent disinfectants/cleaners for animal bites among other things,
Plant fibers, silk, as well as dried and cleaned animal sinew works well for stitching,
Scrab pincers, ants, and bone clamps serve great as pincers,
Forceps can easily be made out of what one usually consider as 'wish bones', similar to tweezers.
Scalpels already exist in-game, and obsidian scalpels would actually serve better than steel ones.

Quote from: AdamBlue on March 31, 2020, 07:11:38 AM
I, for one, would like the 'bandaging' skill changed to 'medic' skill, and to add a bunch of cool little medical commands. Like the previously mentioned 'diagnose'. I would imagine a good doctor would be able to determine if someone is afflicted with a poison more directly, and what kind of poison. There is already capacity for people with the proper bandages and skills to even help combat these poisons without the brewing skill, representing a greater medical knowledge than simply 'bandaging'! (at higher levels)
I'd also like Bandage-Making to Surgerycraft, to make bandages, basic ointments (not the same as brewing, more basic, rudimentary mixes same as herbal-steeped bandages, for road-rash, burns, scrapes, bruises to numb pain and encourage healing from bimbal, runebane, ect), threads and needles, scalpels, forceps, pincers, watered-liquor as well as kankfly maggots for cleaning wounds.
Holding a well-stocked medical kit (probably made of a scalpel, forceps, pincer, needle and thread) in hand would assist with bandaging wounds, like any regular tool, but in a pinch one could 'pull' from it (like with bark from a branch) to get an item that rots relatively quickly if not used quickly, called 'a bundle of herbal medicines' to serve as a 'use' of the medical kit that is to be used as representing using the medical kit itself more directly than just supplementing the surgery itself, with limited uses.

The wealth of knowledge even ancient doctors possessed was quite impressive among the higher tiers. There are many things we have in-game that are surprisingly helpful and not as deadly as one can seem, and there are many things we can use in medical treatments!

Whiskey, piss, as well as fire can serve as excellent disinfectants/cleaners for animal bites among other things,
Plant fibers, silk, as well as dried and cleaned animal sinew works well for stitching,
Forceps can easily be made out of what one usually consider as 'wish bones', similar to tweezers.
Scalpels already exist in-game, and obsidian scalpels would actually serve better than steel ones.

This idea is better since it expends on what we have in game.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: AdamBlue on March 31, 2020, 07:11:38 AM

dentists!

i like it
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one