Major issue with reroll

Started by Lotion, March 22, 2020, 08:19:12 AM

After my latest character was approved the first thing I did was check my score and stat and saw that it said my attributes were all poor. I thought WTF? I must be so unlucky and this game literally hates me and immediately rerolled. I just found out on discord that you need to point something and go to some pre-game room before it rolls your stats and basically I've wasted my reroll.

What I expected to happen:
If I'm about to waste my reroll because of a mechanic that people generally only hear about by word of mouth the game would stop me from wasting my reroll.
What actually happened: I saw I had poor stats and rerolled because I didn't want poor stats despite the fact that my stats haven't been rolled.
Why I think this is a problem: Players only get one reroll and wasting it sucks. I probably won't make this mistake ever again but it could happen to anyone on a bad day. The game allowing players to reroll before they have even "rolled" in the first place is just so incredibly weird to me.
Suggested fix: When attempting to reroll before the stats have been rolled in the first place it should not do so and also give an informative failure message on why you can't do this yet.

+1.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Agreed.
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

I agree with this idea, but if your character is still new you might not have wasted your reroll. You might be able to toggle between your new and old stats with "reroll undo" if your character is still under a few hours old.

Not sure if that'll work, but you  might try it.

Quote from: Lotion on March 22, 2020, 08:19:12 AM
the first thing I did was check my score and stat

I would suggest that the first thing you look at would be your prompt, which would have shown zeros for your derived stats, which should have been a hint something was up.

Send in a request if you want a reroll on your stats, there are ways we can fix this for your character.

This is hardly a major issue with reroll. Just know now that you "point" before your initial stat roll, then you can do your reroll once you're in the equipment rooms.

Hi Lotion,

Thanks for pointing out this potential pain point for new players. Hopefully staff can eventually get a fix in place, but until then, if you really want your second set of stats to choose from, I recommend sending in a request through the web-based request tool as Brokkr suggested. If you want any help walking through how to send a request and which one to use please feel free to PM me or use the discord help channel.

Quote from: Narf on March 22, 2020, 01:12:54 PM
I agree with this idea, but if your character is still new you might not have wasted your reroll. You might be able to toggle between your new and old stats with "reroll undo" if your character is still under a few hours old.

Not sure if that'll work, but you  might try it.
Is there a way for me to know what my stats would be if I did reroll undo?

Quote from: Delirium on March 22, 2020, 02:09:21 PM
Hi Lotion,

Thanks for pointing out this potential pain point for new players. Hopefully staff can eventually get a fix in place, but until then, if you really want your second set of stats to choose from, I recommend sending in a request through the web-based request tool as Brokkr suggested. If you want any help walking through how to send a request and which one to use please feel free to PM me or use the discord help channel.
I sent in a request and was told I can use wish to get one free manual reroll and undo and to include the id of the request in the wish.

So you're just going to publicly announce the exploit to everyone?  Not very smart...   ::)

I can totally see the above post being deleted, but the bug still not fixed.   ;D

We all know about it now, so either it will be fixed quickly, or abused like fuck until they have to fix it.

If I'm going by the information in the post ONLY - and no other information, since no other information was given...

It's a bug reported two years ago, and not since then. The poster chose not to do any follow-up on -his- end to ask the staff, "hey, that bug I reported a few months ago - was it ever changed?" (because if he had chosen to follow up, the tone of his posts suggests that he would have done so, and posted about it in his post above here).

So this one bug might have been overlooked, which is certainly not good - and two years later this poster posts publicly the bug, the exploit, and "suggests" the other people will exploit it (which is a passive-aggressive signalling device basically daring any of "his peeps" to go for it).

Rather than submit a request tool request reminding the staff that it's still a bug and can still be abused, he posted publicly.

So when they do fix it, they'll probably also punish him for advertising an exploit. And then he gets to complain that he was punished for "simply pointing out" that something was wrong and "merely trying to help."

And then people who have  a beef with staff will be able to point to this thread and say "see? this is how staff treats players who are just trying to help."

Meanwhile, the poster gets to snicker and revel in the drama he created with the post, while all the other people who might not even have known about it previously, take advantage of it until it's fixed.

On the other hand...

the staff could just double check the code and realize it's an intentional Easter Egg, and leave it in (or take it out) without anyone really caring one way or another.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Hauwke on April 05, 2020, 02:19:08 AM
We all know about it now, so either it will be fixed quickly, or abused like fuck until they have to fix it.

To be perfectly honest, 20 added stun points isn't a gamechanger. Perhaps it's a little way-talk cushion, but in any real circumstance if something is going to put you anywhere near that final 20 points you have on your prompt, you're in just as bad of a situation and looking at just as bad of an outcome. In combat? You will hit (probably) critical HP before you hit 0 stun, depending on the circumstances, and that is not ideal. It won't even save you from a critical climb-fail. You'll still land on your neck and KO yourself. I've done it with a stunpool of 140+.

April 09, 2020, 06:58:48 PM #14 Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:00:22 PM by Greve
Quote from: Lizzie on April 05, 2020, 09:44:44 AM
If I'm going by the information in the post ONLY - and no other information, since no other information was given...

It's a bug reported two years ago, and not since then. The poster chose not to do any follow-up on -his- end to ask the staff, "hey, that bug I reported a few months ago - was it ever changed?" (because if he had chosen to follow up, the tone of his posts suggests that he would have done so, and posted about it in his post above here).

So this one bug might have been overlooked, which is certainly not good - and two years later this poster posts publicly the bug, the exploit, and "suggests" the other people will exploit it (which is a passive-aggressive signalling device basically daring any of "his peeps" to go for it).

Rather than submit a request tool request reminding the staff that it's still a bug and can still be abused, he posted publicly.

I originally submitted the request two years ago. Staff replied with something along the lines of "thank you for reporting this, we'll fix it." They then just... didn't. A month later, I tried it again out of curiosity and it still wasn't fixed. I wished up at the time and noone answered. Pretty much forgot about it for a year and then tried it again, and it still worked. Then this post reminded me of the exploit and I decided that posting it here would be the only surefire way to address it.

Seems like a good way to ensure that a serious and highly abusable exploit is fixed, huh? No?

QuoteSo when they do fix it, they'll probably also punish him for advertising an exploit. And then he gets to complain that he was punished for "simply pointing out" that something was wrong and "merely trying to help."

And then people who have  a beef with staff will be able to point to this thread and say "see? this is how staff treats players who are just trying to help."

Meanwhile, the poster gets to snicker and revel in the drama he created with the post, while all the other people who might not even have known about it previously, take advantage of it until it's fixed.

Really, Lizzie? Peel that tinfoil hat off for a minute and be an adult.

QuoteOn the other hand...

the staff could just double check the code and realize it's an intentional Easter Egg, and leave it in (or take it out) without anyone really caring one way or another.

So someone who purports to be a champion of what's best for the game argues for the possibility of leaving a serious exploit unfixed? Come on. Clearly staff were not going to just happen upon it and fix it. If two attempts at reporting it to them in private are futile, bringing it to the forums seems reasonable enough to me. If I had done that before reporting it, you may have been right. Since that's not the case, well... I can't say I give the remotest of f***s about your butthurt. Why exactly are you posting a hysterical wall of indignant text about this, again?

It just seems like a whole lot of screeching about nothing. Surely the exploit is fixed by now. Were we better off otherwise?

Stop seeing enemies around every corner.

Quote from: Cabooze on April 05, 2020, 11:39:33 AM
To be perfectly honest, 20 added stun points isn't a gamechanger.

In today's meta of bludgeoning weapons and attacking before roleplaying, stun is a more important resource than health.