Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2  (Read 2314 times)

Akaramu

Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »
If they do it anything like they did it here, “essential services” will not be closing - meaning clinics, pharmacies, grocery stores, laundromats, even takeout restaurants.  Everything needed to keep people healthy, sanitary, and breathing.

Delivery services are swamped here, but they’re functioning.  I door dashed dinner and dessert last night while playing weekly bar trivia over Zoom with friends. Partial lockdown ain’t all bad.  (Yet.)

Yes. I don't know of any country that has closed groceries, they stayed open even during the lockdown in Wuhan. Only one person per household was allowed to go shopping once per day, but the groceries were open. Chins up, we're not going to starve!

Refugee

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 06:03:27 PM »
I've got a bunch of hens laying well, and 5 fat roosters when I just need 1, and a cage full of quail we've raised.

It'd be better if we can get our groceries, but for sure we won't starve.

X-D

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »
Sounds like me. Hens laying well, ducks still at it, 4 extra roosters, a bunch of rabbits and 3 freezers of game/fish. And if push came to shove, enough diesel to run the genny  for a full week or rationed to keep the freezers going for a month. But that is all what I normally have on hand, I have not gone to get extra anything.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Malken

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2020, 08:28:59 AM »
Amazon Fresh is still laying well where I live.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Refugee

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »
Sounds like me. Hens laying well, ducks still at it, 4 extra roosters, a bunch of rabbits and 3 freezers of game/fish. And if push came to shove, enough diesel to run the genny  for a full week or rationed to keep the freezers going for a month. But that is all what I normally have on hand, I have not gone to get extra anything.

My ducks aren't laying yet.  We phased out our rabbits before winter with the plan of adding a larger meat animal this spring, but I wish we hadn't now lol.  We make our own dog food and our big Gordon Setter needs a steady supply of meat.  We got a deer last fall but it's all gone now, but we've several turkeys and chickens in the freezer.

Lizzie

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »

Yeah but how many rolls of toilet paper do you have huh????

My usual normal mundane stock: minimum 10 rolls
My "it went on sale yesterday and I have store credit, so time to stock up on the cheap" stock: minimum 25 rolls (45 if I already had a case on stock)
My "I had just stocked up even though I already had 20 rolls in the cupboard, but it went on sale again and coronavirus" stock: 64 rolls. Total purchase this last time: a single 20-pack. Total cost: 0

Rewards credits are awesome.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Refugee

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »
We have a bidet seat, we don't need toilet paper. 

We use a lot of paper towels though.  We're going to wean ourselves off them because it's just wasteful.  We're going to order a bundle of cloth napkins, use them for all the paper towel things and wash what's used in the day's laundry.

I see a lot of posts in homesteading groups about using flannel squares for toilet paper and washing them like diapers.  I guess it'd work but it's kind of freaky.  It'd be good for your septic system if you have one.

When I was a kid, we kept Sears Roebuck catalogs in the outhouse.  Reading material -and- toilet paper. 

tiny rainbow

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »

be safe <3
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."

X-D

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 05:18:52 PM »
Also Bidet...better for rear and septic...also Tankless hot water to bidet for the win. Though there is something like 10 giant industrial rolls somewhere. I was at the local closeout store a couple years ago and it was 25 cents each, and I was like hey, I can start fires for the rest of my life with that.

Yeah, someday larger meat animals, But still lots of work to do to get to that point. Most the property only has 4 strand barbed wire, so, unless I run hot then no goats/sheep etc. And I would have to clear some woods to have grazing for cows. All rabbits other then breeders are in mobile tractors so most the year they cost me nothing to raise. Same for fryers and extra roosters. 96 chicken eggs in one incubater, 30 ducks in the other. Last year was not a good year for duck hatching sadly...they are my preferred meat and eggs, but 20 in, 9 hatched and 4 survived...Bleh...and two of those had to be returned to breeding stock. Odds are I will have like 80 chickens hatch though...likely 60 to harvest.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Shaydee

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 10:52:55 AM »
I'm over here hoping this whole thing doesn't affect when my husband gets to come home. :( Not that I know when that is going to be anyway. :-\

I honestly don't even think he knows what is going on because they don't want them stressing about what is going on outside of their work. I almost emailed him about it, cause I tell him everything, but then thought better because like I said above, there's no reason to stress him out with what's going on when he needs to focus on his work.

Also it'd be really great if he was home so that I could go get groceries/necessities without having to bring along my almost one year old, with everything going on. Plus I can be in and out so much faster if I go alone.

Saiseiki

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2020, 01:55:09 PM »
I'm over here hoping this whole thing doesn't affect when my husband gets to come home. :( Not that I know when that is going to be anyway. :-\

I honestly don't even think he knows what is going on because they don't want them stressing about what is going on outside of their work. I almost emailed him about it, cause I tell him everything, but then thought better because like I said above, there's no reason to stress him out with what's going on when he needs to focus on his work.

Also it'd be really great if he was home so that I could go get groceries/necessities without having to bring along my almost one year old, with everything going on. Plus I can be in and out so much faster if I go alone.

Sorry you're dealing with that, Shaydee.  :(
Avatar caption:  "When you ask Santa for a puppy, but accidentally write Satan."

Saiseiki

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
My industry is pretty well devastated.  Been calling around, trying to connect friends with other friends so people have a place to live come April.  This is a serious kick in the rear to me, personally, to start writing again.  All my fall-backs, which are typically pretty solid, have evaporated.
Avatar caption:  "When you ask Santa for a puppy, but accidentally write Satan."

FamousAmos

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »
We have 2 confirmed cases in the Interior here in BC,  so that's hopeful. The hot spot is Vancouver. I'm impressed with the way Canada is supporting their citizens/residents and how people in the community have tried to help others who are less mobile or financially stable.

Restaurants are semi-closed, all of my office (6 people) work from home now. Skip the Dishes is probably doing good business now! Our kid's still going to daycare now that we have Spring break and they are going to their privately owned farm on a daily basis for fresh air, now that the sun's still out.

At the end of the day though, I'm getting a bit sick (no pun intended) of all this Corona news. I can see how people's anxiety flares up with all this doom thinking news. We just need to look at it day by day and make the best out of it.

mansa

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2020, 04:57:06 PM »
I don't want to start bad habits while I'm working from home.

*bad habits include playing ArmageddonMUD during the work hours.

I need to go for a walk more.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Barsook

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »
My industry is pretty well devastated.  Been calling around, trying to connect friends with other friends so people have a place to live come April.  This is a serious kick in the rear to me, personally, to start writing again.  All my fall-backs, which are typically pretty solid, have evaporated.

I just got "laid off" because I'm one of the newer people at my job and they wanted experienced people to work.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2020, 07:00:22 PM »
Military has been considered "essential personnel" so we're basically ignoring the quarantine for the most part, with some picking and choosing of the appropriate response. MPs at the gate won't touch you or your ID when you drive in. But we're still gathering in groups of 50-100 people semi-regularly.

I'm a student at an advanced course right now. We're across the street from the entry level combat training and there's honestly not a lot you can do about 5,000 Privates living together in squad bays. So what can ya do except make COVID jokes and hope that someone in our class gets sick so that they shut us down? They've canceled all other advanced schools or cut them short by a lot but we're going to continue on until our graduation April 7th, barring some extreme change in circumstance.

They're graduating doctors a year early in Italy and we can't even get a pass on a couple weeks. Feh.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

tiny rainbow

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »
https://foldingathome.org/2020/02/27/foldinghome-takes-up-the-fight-against-covid-19-2019-ncov/
By downloading Folding@home here [LINK] and selecting to contribute to “Any Disease”, you can help

<3
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."

BonBon Vivant

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2020, 12:29:17 AM »

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable."  - George Orwell

Saiseiki

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2020, 12:39:31 AM »

I just got "laid off" because I'm one of the newer people at my job and they wanted experienced people to work.

I feel you, B.  Two of my three gigs just went "poof".  This is going to be a rough few months for a lot of folks I know. :(

Fathi

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2020, 01:49:48 AM »
Had a few folks check in on Discord to see how things are going down here in NZ. We're on a countrywide lockdown/shelter in place order for four weeks. We're not even a week into it, so we're just digging in and hanging out. I was in the middle of trying to move house to another island when all this went down so shit's mega chaotic in my life personally, but we're all safe and tucked away.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

tiny rainbow

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2020, 05:09:57 AM »
fridgetotable.com - put ingredients you have, get recipes

utterwithasideofbread.com/homemade-bread - Make bread with yeast

letsdishrecipes.com/traditional-irish-soda-bread - Make bread without yeast

James de Monet

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2020, 01:31:26 AM »
I have to say, if you aren’t playing jackbox.tv games (drawful, role models, murder mystery trivia, etc.) with people on video conferencing...you’re probably doing shelter in place wrong.  Damn things are delightful.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

tiny rainbow

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2020, 03:05:31 AM »
this is really cute: "When I was a child in the 1940s, my mother would cut up slices of fruit for me (there wasn't much) and as she put it in front of me she would say, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." How about, “A sonnet a day keeps the doctor away”? So...here we go: Sonnet 1." (via Twitter)

"A Sonnet A Day by Sir Patrick Stewart" playlist: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLLiEya-Q4RQdTJb97i8gU6MXHZs_HUlB

Sonnet 1: From fairest creatures we desire increase by William Shakespeare

From fairest creatures we desire increase,
That thereby beauty's rose might never die,
But as the riper should by time decease,
His tender heir might bear his memory:

But thou contracted to thine own bright eyes,
Feed'st thy light's flame with self-substantial fuel,
Making a famine where abundance lies,
Thy self thy foe, to thy sweet self too cruel:

Thou that art now the world's fresh ornament,
And only herald to the gaudy spring,
Within thine own bud buriest thy content,
And, tender churl, mak'st waste in niggarding:

Pity the world, or else this glutton be,
   To eat the world's due, by the grave and thee.

triste

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »
I had to study that sonnet in high school. Always amuses me that out of all of Shakespeare's sonnets there are maybe four designated as "the good ones" that teachers and celebrities read endlessly.

Oh to be Shakespeare's beloved pupil.. to be read about even by Captain Picard? The lad must have been a real looker.
will do my best to maintain https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/, message me if something there needs an update.