Author Topic: Coronavirus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2  (Read 1360 times)

James de Monet

Coronavirus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »
My county (one of the hardest hit in California) just banned gatherings of more than 35 people.  Store shelves are empty.  Schools are closed.  Apple is closed.  My church can’t even hold services this weekend.  They’re prosecuting people for scalping prices on hand sanitizer.

Things are getting real here.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 09:45:26 PM »
Same thing in southwest Ohio.  A third of the cases in the state is coming from where I live. It's getting scary in the US for sure.

ETA: So forgot about the First amendment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:30:21 AM by Barsook »

NinjaFruitSalad

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 03:13:26 AM »
It's a pretty nasty disease. The worst part about it, I think, is it has an incubation period of about two weeks and can spread during that time. Meanwhile there's no symptoms. And the virus can also apparently survive on surfaces for weeks on end too. So it's highly contagious in that right, and ultimately, I think people would have to take extreme measures to avoid getting it. But doing so for 3-4 weeks, for everyone in the world is rather impracticable.

It's likely that just about every single human being on the planet will eventually contract it. And factor in a modest estimate of "only 2%" death rate, and that's still a heck of a lot of people that could end up dying...    :o

Hauwke

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 05:11:30 AM »
You know, the only people I have ever witnessed using the term special snowflakes are those people who are themself a special little snowflake that is exactly like the other people/snowflakes using the term.

Those people are generally unpleasant and cite their rights for things as being uncontestable.

Back on topic, the virus will spread, your neighbours are probably going to eventually get sick. Wash your filthy hands with soap for at least 20 seconds, do not form massive groups of people where each and every person is going to leave the gathering infected with the virus, do not be a friggen idiot about it. Apparently all that isn't simple enough for a large number of people.

Bebop

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 09:46:18 AM »
So ignoring XD being a stereotypical bumpkin...

I’m sitting here at school prepping for our shut down but they have us sitting in class alone while our teachers are in training.  The way this school is ran is so bad.  One girl got offended because she kept sneezing and I moved away from her.  Like I was sitting six inches from you beech.  Why they hell are we all in this damn basement room.  This defeats the purpose of closing the school.

Harmless

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
If you aren't trying to slow the spread then more people will be infected at once and our already busy health systems will be fully overwhelmed and more people will die than needed because of lack of resources.

If we slow the infection rate by being responsible and making sacrifice of our freedumbs for a little while then we will actually have beds to put people in and ventilators for those who are dying.

This will eventually kill someone we know.

Japan, probably the most organized and prepared country that had covid outbreaks, is enjoying one of the lowest death rates. Meanwhile, certain areas of Italy which had no preparation at all and already bad health systems and recent financial struggles recently is having one of the worst death rates, more than ten times higher than Japan's.

We need to follow successful models of mortality prevention. Just because as a younger person you have less personal risk of death doesn't mean you can be reckless.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

kahuna

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »
I think this ep. of JRE did a good job of highlighting a lot of the potential reasons people are taking this seriously. If you have even 15 minutes the first part is pretty good.

Malken

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 11:24:22 AM »
My school canceled on-campus classes indefinitely and we are moving on to online teaching instead. I think I'll just teach in TikTok format while dancing Renegade because that's pretty much all of my students care about this year.

Too bad I don't play Armageddon anymore or my dream of playing Arm while at work could finally come true!
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 01:27:17 PM »
I got tested for it. It was weird and kinda scary.

Still waiting for my results!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

James de Monet

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 04:54:21 PM »
Damn.  Hope it’s negative, LM!  Good thing they had test kits for you, though.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 11:36:59 PM »
It was negative! I got the call today. Quebec has been extremely organized! They have testing clinics set up and everything.

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Bogre

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 01:05:53 AM »
So, speaking as a physician, I think that I'm simultaneously impessed by people and somewhat shocked still at peoples response. Overwhelmingly the former - fortunately. I see a lot of people coming together and changing their habits to try and modulate this disease - and that bodes well for humanity as a whole to deal with threats looming or unknown in the future. But I cringe when I see misinformation, cavalier-ism, profiteering and other stuff.

But epidemiological-wise, the science is hard to argue with. An indolent infection with a marked chance for respiratory distress and ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) and a high rate of ICU admission has a chance, without strict measures, to dial up explosively and overwhelm the capabilities of the healthcare system. There are just - not that many ICU beds. At my tertiary-level teaching hospital, there are 40-50 MICU beds - (medical ICU, staffed by pulmonary care medicine - that's where the majority of theses cases would go initially) - and probably 60-75 more ICU level beds staffed by other teams (surgery, cardiac, neurological, etc). Most community hospitals have a general ICU of 15-25 beds. All told, in the 3rd largest city in America - maybe 1000-1500 total ICU beds? I imagine some rooms can be converted to run ventilators and more intense staffing - but you still need nurses (ICU level nurses have specific training), doctors, respiratory techs, and actual machines to run. We're already at at least two docs on requested or self quarantine (and I'm in a surgical field). And the more of other care providers (let alone emergency medicine, pulmonologists and intensive-care docs) that get taken out of the playing field means less available staff to treat your emergent traumas, your bleeding aneurysm, stroke,. or to take your appendix out. I'm ICU trained, and so really doing my best to avoid getting this thing so if need be I can stand by and run ventilators / etc. Because you don't want something with a 1-2% fatality rate with sufficient treatment turning into 6.7% like Italy when the system gets overwhelmed.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Refugee

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 05:16:45 PM »
I'm old and I've lived through a lot of these kinds of scares.  So I'm kinda jaded, but there's no reason to be stupid.

I about half think I had the thing already, just got over it.  Strangest chest cold I ever had.  Couldn't breathe, coughing all the time, but my nose never stopped up.  Bad bronchitis they said.  No tests were being run here yet for Covid-19.  Low grade fever.  I'm 60 and it kicked my ass.  Took about 4 weeks to get over it.   still very tired and sleep a lot.

Don't put this thing on the older people.  I thought I might die and I was so miserable I didn't give a damn if I did.  I can't imagine being 80 and trying to live through it.  So be smart and do what they're telling you.

Also, stop buying all the cheap stuff in the stores and hoarding it.  Many elderly have small fixed incomes.  My mother's social security check was $780 a month after a lifetime of working low wage laborer jobs.  With that she paid for a Medicare supplement, a pharmacy supplement, rent, utilities, her meds, and her groceries.  They can't go from store to store looking for toilet paper.  They can't stand in long lines.  Take what you need for 3 or 4 weeks and that's enough.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:13:00 AM by Refugee »

James de Monet

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 06:14:01 PM »
Whelp, the whole Bay Area has just been ordered to shelter in place.  Guess I’m not going anywhere.

But glad to hear you aren’t Patient 51, LM!  And thanks for the perspective, Bogre.

Lizzie

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 06:33:43 PM »
Glad you're okay Laura Mars. And Refugee!

I've had a very mild random occasional mild dry cough for three weeks. It gets a little worse when I'm tired, but otherwise it's just as random and occasional as it was when it started. I have no fever. I feel a tiny bit of chest congestion but not even enough to take anything for it. I'm not going to get tested because:

1) it's not available here unless you're a patient of a specific doctor's group, which I'm not
2) the symptoms aren't enough to warrant a trip to the doctor (no fever, nothing is getting worse)
3) this is allergy season, and I have allergies. I'm assuming that's mostly what this is
4) my job involves opening and deconstructing a LOT of cardboard boxes - which means inhaling a LOT of paper dust. That's enough to cause chest congestion for anyone.

Our entire community here is of two distinct opinions on the situation.

a) panic and run every supermarket out of TP, bread, canned tuna, Lysol spray AND wipes, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, antibacterial liquid hand soap, meat, poultry, and rubbing alcohol.

b) do all of the above, and pretend that you're not panicking to anyone who brings up the subject of the virus in conversation.

How do I know this to be fact? I work in the supermarket that's out of all of the above, and talk to the customers of each of the two distinct opinions on the situation.

Meanwhile, one woman in my county has tested positive. She doesn't live in our community but she's in the community across the street from our border, and shops at the same places everyone on our side shops at. So she's definitely exposed hundreds of seniors to this virus.

I live in a senior community of over 100,000 people - and this is the end of snowbird season so thousands of seniors will be leaving to return to their summer homes - primarily up north. Their exodus begins the last week in March. I just hope they don't bring these germs with them or it's gonna get a lot uglier before it gets better.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 08:09:41 PM »
Oregon just shut down all seated dining and banned gatherings of more than 25 people.

Suggestion: if your local restaurants are trying to survive on takeout, and you can afford it, order out often and tip as well as you can.
Memento mori.

Akaramu

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
Yo. I now officially live in the world's second most infected country (by population) after Italy. Out government was super slow to respond, there are about 100'000 people from northern Italy who crossed the border into Switzerland every day and our government didn't close the borders until we had an increase of 800 infected in a single day.

Even now, their strategy is inconsistent. People who work in the southern part of Switzerland can still cross over from northern Italy. Schools are closed, but day care centers are not. Most shops are closed to customers, but construction sites are open, with 50+ workers using the same chemical toilets that are no longer being replaced. Companies are supposed to let people work from home, but most simply ignore the instructions because they aren't enforced. All public events are prohibited but people still gather in large groups in parks and on lakeshores.

A frightening amount of people still believe this is just another kind of flu, and are upset because they don't understand why elderly people can't just be isolated so the younger folks can do their thing. Also, many of us have little faith in the government so no matter how many times it's said that food supply will not break down, people are storming the supermarkets like there's no tomorrow. There's no disinfectant anywhere, and even in hospitals supplies are going to run low in a week or so. Because our government in its infinite wisdom still exported 50'000+ masks like three weeks ago, and only kept 25-30% of the reserves it should have been keeping (by its own law).

There also aren't nearly enough tests being done. Only those 65+ or high risk patients are getting tested. Our infected by population numbers might actually be higher than those in Italy, though I suspect Italy also isn't able to keep up with testing.

I'm ok, and my family and friends are ok, and I'm kind of glad I lost my shitty office job by the end of February - now I work full time from home as a freelance translator / editor. I'm cautiously optimistic things will get better with considerably warmer weather (Iran, Italy, Spain etc haven't seen really hot temperatures yet) and that we'll at least be much better prepared if there is another wave in autumn. Fingers crossed.

I hope you're all ok. Will check this thread from time to time to see how you're doing.  :-*
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:17:09 PM by Akaramu »

DesertT

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »
Nebraska put out, no gatherings more than 10.

Thankfully, my oldest (19) just moved out, so that means I can go home at night!!

Wife and I have 9 kids...
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Shalooonsh

• Storyteller
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 03:39:14 PM »
 Please keep things civil, got some reports about calling people mean names.

Reviewing the facts though, it just looks like proper terminology to me.
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

John

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 05:42:49 AM »
For those who might be inclined to think this is just another swine flu 2009 (and that the swine flu 2009 was not a big deal):

It's been 2 months since the first case of coronavirus in America and America has had at least 75 deaths with at least 4,226 cases. 2 months after the first case of swine flu 2009 there were 3 deaths and 1693 confirmed cases of infection. While both numbers are likely to have massively underreported numbers of infection and death, they're both equally likely to suffer from that.

These figures were taken from Wikipedia and the CDC website. If people have more accurate numbers I'd be happy to see them.

Refugee

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 08:26:16 AM »
Monthly retirement checks come this weekend.

Rumors are shelter in place is coming any minute for Kentucky.

We have a month's worth of groceries loaded up in the Kroger and Walmart shopping apps, and a month's worth of feed for the farm animals ready to pull the trigger too...

Will the money come before the shelter in place order?  We're waiting with bated breath...

Lizzie

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 08:55:20 AM »
Monthly retirement checks come this weekend.

Rumors are shelter in place is coming any minute for Kentucky.

We have a month's worth of groceries loaded up in the Kroger and Walmart shopping apps, and a month's worth of feed for the farm animals ready to pull the trigger too...

Will the money come before the shelter in place order?  We're waiting with bated breath...

How will the groceries and feed get to you, if the supermarket employees are also under the shelter in place order?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Refugee

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 09:29:57 AM »
I think we're screwed if the shelter in place comes before the money.  We live half an hour from the nearest town.  That's why we're worried!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:36:12 AM by Refugee »

James de Monet

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 02:12:45 PM »
If they do it anything like they did it here, “essential services” will not be closing - meaning clinics, pharmacies, grocery stores, laundromats, even takeout restaurants.  Everything needed to keep people healthy, sanitary, and breathing.

Delivery services are swamped here, but they’re functioning.  I door dashed dinner and dessert last night while playing weekly bar trivia over Zoom with friends. Partial lockdown ain’t all bad.  (Yet.)

Refugee

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »
Good to know they've kept the groceries open, thanks!

We don't have delivery service out here in the sticks, but if things are still running, I have younger family members and church family that will fetch stuff out.