Quit while sleeping.

Started by NinjaFruitSalad, March 12, 2020, 05:26:20 AM

I always thought it would be better and more immersive to log out of the game while sleeping. Because after all, most of these QUIT rooms seem to be like that - places where people sleep. And that's kind of the idea. You "leave" to go "rest".

But it's strange how when sleeping in a quit room, you cant just quit. It says you have to stand up first. And that just looks even weirder. First you're asleep, then you wake up and sit up, then you stand up, then you disappear.

We should change it so that when using QUIT, you can also do it while sitting, resting, and sleeping. This honestly isn't a very important change, but I think it improves the world and RP experience very slightly.

I agree with this! But, also, I've been emoting things like:

Blah blah stands up and pulls away, moving to sit with recognized friends at a table in the corner.

So There's ways that you can continue living virtually instead of sleeping for a week which- well, that breaks immersion for me.

Contact Dad

Psi Hey, sorry I haven't been about. Been resting/sleeping for 10 days straight.

So I think options are good.

Yeah, I use/have heard a range of 'excuses'.  Got to nap/sleep, visit vNPC family (mate, mother, old brothers-in-arms), wall duty, gate duty, House chores (for those non-combat in GMH/Noble Houses), needing the latrine, 'get some work done' (good for crafters), being called away by someone (vNPC, NPC, or even PC sometimes), heading off to explore, needing to go cook up a snack, and so on.  In fact, I'll normally only use the 'I have to nap' when RP is dragging on to the point that it is way too late for me and I am so tired my imagination fails me/the other people I'm RPing with aren't taking the coded hints, and I need to convey "Dude...I gotta SLEEEEEEP!" as loudly as possible.  Mostly because always leaving with "I need to rest" breaks my immersion too.

I'm also not at all keen on the idea of logging in asleep, but logging in cold to any situation can be daunting!  I avoid the 'sleep' command though - if I'm logged in, I want to be interacting as much as possible (unless knocking myself out falling or Waying, whoops!).

I don't see why you couldn't log out while asleep though, seems an odd thing to code against.  The issue is, how do you code the difference between 'sleep', and 'unconscious'.  Because while willingly falling asleep is one thing...being knocked unconscious/drugged and logging out to avoid conflict is scummy as heck!  I imagine that the limit on not logging out while asleep is to avoid the latter.

Why not do the 'normal' thing (what I do/have seen loads of other people do!) anyway?
Quoteemote With a yawn, @ snuggles down and quickly drifts off into restless sleep, tossing and turning with occasional loud snorts while lying on ^me back.
quit
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Well I think coding the difference is extremely simple. If the WAKE command works, then it's just.. normal sleeping? And if it wouldn't work, then you're either forced asleep somehow or unconscious.

Hey, does emoting work for quit? For example:

QUIT (passes out on ~bunk.)

Not currently, but I think a command emote echo before these official log out echo would be cool.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Kyviantre on March 12, 2020, 11:03:37 AM
I'm also not at all keen on the idea of logging in asleep, ...

...The issue is, how do you code the difference between 'sleep', and 'unconscious'.  Because while willingly falling asleep is one thing...being knocked unconscious/drugged and logging out to avoid conflict is scummy as heck!  I imagine that the limit on not logging out while asleep is to avoid the latter.

Those are my two objections as well.  Quiting is wholly an out-of-character concept.  Maybe it should have a different color echo too?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'll just add here that yes, when you log in.. it would only make sense to arrive back in the game standing and awake.  But this is why it's important to make sure all the necessary checks are made before the player quits to avoid exploitation.

I'm sure there's a check that could be run to distinguish between asleep and unconscious, since one already runs when a person tries to "wake" you.  :)
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.