Fix Dream

Started by MatisseOrOtherwise, February 05, 2020, 09:43:21 AM

Currently, dream uses the think syntax (which is fine and good!), and the think display (which is bad and stupid!).

I think it would be better if dream displayed in an emote-like fashion that would allow for greater freedom of imagery as well as giving imms and psions a fun new means of fucking with people.

Current input:
think of gnashing teeth, swirling eyes, weird clouds.

Current output:
You dream:
     "Of gnashing teeth, swirling eyes, weird clouds."

Suggested output:
You dream of gnashing teeth, swirling eyes, weird clouds.

I think it seems weird for dreams to be only applicable in speechlike patterns. In this new output, one could put speech in themselves, like so, if they wanted a soeechlike pattern still:

Example suggested input:
think of incoming vague threats. "No, stay back!", you say, raising your hands

Example suggested output:
You dream of incoming vague threats. "No, stay back!", you say, raising your hands.
Lizard time.

I am down with this suggestion.  A+, would recommend, want this!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

+1 to this suggestion
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

off topic -

It's almost like an 'imagine' echo when awake.
>imagine a whole new world.
You imagine a whole new world.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on February 05, 2020, 10:43:20 AM
off topic -

It's almost like an 'imagine' echo when awake.
>imagine a whole new world.
You imagine a whole new world.

A game I used to play had a 'recall' command that was similar, for remembering past experiences (both IG and from backstory), which was rather fun.  I try to use the think/feel command for that on Arm, but it feels a little clunky at times.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

How about a command that gives you and you only an echo. Only GMs and mindworms could see it. You can make it whatever you like.

Echo you see a pink elephant floating by.

You see a pink elephant floating by.

Echo you dream of war and destruction.

You dream of war and destruction.

Etc.

Quote from: Dar on February 05, 2020, 04:29:33 PM
How about a command that gives you and you only an echo. Only GMs and mindworms could see it. You can make it whatever you like.

Echo you see a pink elephant floating by.

You see a pink elephant floating by.

Echo you dream of war and destruction.

You dream of war and destruction.

Etc.

Would the usage of this new command make people stop using the 'feel' or 'think' or 'mood' commands?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I honestly think I'd use something like this even more, just because it would feel more organic in the moment, to me at least.

You consider refusing to cooperate with the raider.
You can't remember if your knife is poisoned.
You suddenly feel concerned.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."