Is There a Command to Test if An Area is Crime Coded?

Started by Saiseiki, January 10, 2020, 08:36:00 PM

An OOC one I mean, like typing 'hit' alone will tell you if you can "brawl" there safely (oxymoron?).
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

It's been a while, but I believe certain taverns do warn you. Otherwise no there's no prompt. In general I would recommend using the room descriptions, proximity to guards, and presence of vnpcs as a general guideline.

You can also check out the new "threaten" command.
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."

The helpfile also states that too..

Notes:
   If you want to test whether a location allows brawling, you may type
'hit' without any victim.  Additionally, if you type 'hit <person>' and
the location doesn't support it, you will get a message letting you know.

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Hit
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Gotcha.  Thanks, everyone.

On a related note, if you are currently wanted, it will only display it in the area you are wanted (or a room away, and/or specific spots) and you can reveal it by typing STAT.
Veteran Newbie

That's also good to know, D.  Danke.

Quote from: Saiseiki on January 11, 2020, 09:21:57 AM

I saw this, and immediately scanned the list of posters looking for Dr. Danke because I misread.

Dibs on that name in the future, and I'd also like to say that typing 'Hit' for the brawl check isn't necessarily a check for crim-code. Is there a command that can check the difference between 'This room is enforced with law by code' and 'this is a wilderness room where no one cares'? Or was that answered above and I just didn't parse it. It feels like that's where the thread went, with everyone satisfied with the answer to this question, but I didn't actually see the answer.

As far as I know, there is no command or consistent room description that would allow a player to definitively know if an area is under crime-code protection or not.

Might be an Ask the Staff question for the most dependable answer.

Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: GreyMenhir on March 10, 2020, 03:31:37 PM
Quote from: Saiseiki on January 11, 2020, 09:21:57 AM

I saw this, and immediately scanned the list of posters looking for Dr. Danke because I misread.

*laugh*  Sorry.

QuoteDibs on that name in the future, and I'd also like to say that typing 'Hit' for the brawl check isn't necessarily a check for crim-code. Is there a command that can check the difference between 'This room is enforced with law by code' and 'this is a wilderness room where no one cares'? Or was that answered above and I just didn't parse it. It feels like that's where the thread went, with everyone satisfied with the answer to this question, but I didn't actually see the answer.

AFAIK, there's nothing like that.  As Seeker said, 'Ask the Staff' is probably the best way to go.

Not understanding crime code as a player when your character would have known not to do something but the player doesn't quite connect all the underlying dots involved definitely sucks and can have a negative impact on roleplaying. ESPECIALLY when you get wanted for something that you previously didn't get wanted for.