Author Topic: Crafting emotes and playing off crafting failures  (Read 407 times)

Haunt

Crafting emotes and playing off crafting failures
« on: January 03, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »
Hello.
I almost exclusively play crafters. It's what I like about the game. But sometimes I have trouble thinking of good ways to represent the treatment of crafting and more importantly its failures.
Of course, using crude tools and crude materials, accidents happens, but if I am a complete expert in my craft it can sometimes feel a little odd to explode a piece of bone into shards twice in a row. From time to time I would like to shake it up, like perhaps the bone being too hollow or brittle to work with, something like that. I am not looking to shy away from failure completely of course.

I have been told the advice to look up real life methods for things like leatherworking to help convey the methods that my character is using and that helps, but I was wondering if a few examples could be provided for reference, similar to the combat techniques thread that was posted further below.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 07:43:27 PM by Haunt »
Sometimes the shit breaks you

Alesan

Re: Crafting emotes and playing off crafting failures
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »
I like to blame my failures on flawed materials.

Hauwke

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 09:33:11 PM »
Regardless of how annoying it is to fail repeatedly at master in a crafting skill, simply having master in a skill does not make you a master at it. It's just the descriptor used.

You aren't the Da Vinci of sword making until you spend IG  decades doing it and get a skill buff above everyone else.

Lizzie

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:53:48 PM »
Think about how you acquired those raw materials. They probably would've come from hunters, who aren't raw-material-preparation-artists. Or a shop, which got its raw materials from hunters. So it's very likely those raw materials are flawed, some might have rotting flesh on them causing pits in the surface, some might be splintered, some stained too badly to use, and so on. The list is endless on what -could- be wrong with the materials. Tools degrade in quality now too so there's a built-in coded reason for you to fail.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Haunt

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:32:12 PM »
Regardless of how annoying it is to fail repeatedly at master in a crafting skill, simply having master in a skill does not make you a master at it. It's just the descriptor used.

You aren't the Da Vinci of sword making until you spend IG  decades doing it and get a skill buff above everyone else.

That's not really what I was getting at, more just looking for ways to explore crafting emotes rather than have it be black and white. I think the sword thing was a poor example, I was thinking more gamey things like a sixty year old being unable to cook her own damn steak - and how to go about that.
What was suggested by Lizzie and Alesan are both things I'll def. take into account, ty for those
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:50:48 PM by Haunt »

HeeBeeGB

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 12:33:35 AM »
The other tack to take is one of flaws, both critical and semi-critical. A master craftsman wouldn't settle for a blade that is going to break due to a flaw in the bone or obsidian. As a craftsman myself, you come across material consistently that is not up to snuff, and sometimes don't find out until halfway through the process (or even the end) that it is compromised. A master craftsman may notice details like this that apprentice or journeymen would not. Besides this, a master may not settle for 'alright' or 'okay', thus leading to  discarding of what others might consider a perfectly alright end result.

Just some thoughts.

Hauwke

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 02:52:43 AM »

That's not really what I was getting at, more just looking for ways to explore crafting emotes rather than have it be black and white. I think the sword thing was a poor example, I was thinking more gamey things like a sixty year old being unable to cook her own damn steak - and how to go about that.
What was suggested by Lizzie and Alesan are both things I'll def. take into account, ty for those

No I know, I've just had this conversation so many times. Master shield use in your skills after an RL week or whatever of being smacked does not in fact equal you being a shield master. Bruh, your defense is so low still a chalton gets around your shield regardless, stop saying you have learnt everything there is to learn.

On the actual topic of the thread, its always weird to spend an RL hour, go out hunt a chalton, skin it, separates its stuffs into the separate stuffs and then spend 30 seconds working on a sword from its whole leg and it explodes into entirely useless fragments because you failed a skill check.

The last few characters I have had that crafted, I usually emoted getting pissy and wrecking it myself. Though, YMMV on that, given the last of mine were grumpy assholes.

JohnMichaelHenry

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
If I'm reading the OP correctly, he's just looking for new ways to emote crafting failures, so here goes....

I just try to mix it up a bit myself, even though I don't think I use enough emotes when I'm crafting to begin with.
Sometimes, if there are others in the room, I emote that I was distracted in some way by something they said or did. Maybe laughed, or checked out the bottom on that pretty tribal, or someone actually talked to me and I slipped and got pissy.
Along with suggestions already made by Lizzie and Alesan, with the flaw in materials thing, maybe you can blame your tool if it degrades when that happens and curse at it. "Krathdamn chisel lost it's edge again!"
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Haunt

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 11:48:49 AM »
Distractions, (I like your tribal example) or simply being dissatisfied with the materials given, or finding the quality of the materials to be not up to snuff to a seasoned craftsman are exactly the type of thing I'm looking for - you've all given me a lot to think about. Thank you! Definitely enough to - when the situation warrants it, to pin a crafting fail on something other than a simple failure.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 09:17:10 AM »
I personally like to blame failures on faulty material if my PC is quote unquote masterful at something. A crack discovered too late. A scar in the hide that was unsightly. Etc. Distractions is great too, something jostled me. Or someone! Who then faces my displeasure. Lastly the classic frustrated "I tore it up because it wasn't good enough to meet my standards" artistic shit fit. Which I do IRL. Often.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."