Weapon Repair

Started by mansa, December 20, 2019, 03:56:30 PM

QuoteI'm sorry but unless staff want to come and confirm this is pure speculation. From my experiences piercing is by far one of the worst weapon types to use.

And in my experience, when used...let us say, on the right type of PC, it is easily the best...far from speculation. And no, I do not mean a certain class either.

Or, in short, ya doin it wrong bud. :)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I am all for something that will give heavy mercantile classes more power. I am not a smarty on code or anything of the matter, but, socially I like the idea. Also, it could help the economy of some places with others needing to resupply their weapon stocks. Especially with sparring weapons.

Also, perhaps custom weapons would be more sought after? Not sure what the bonus or degrade rate would be, but I'm sure depending on the request and material, it would be case by case.

The need to repair weapons/armor in Atonement did not overwhelmingly destroy the items, people's fun or the game.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

How does that apply to the discussion? Atonement started with it, So, if you went to play that mud it is because that is what you wanted.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I imagine if you went to play that mud it was because you wanted a space horror RPI, rather than item damage code. And if Armageddon only had things it started with, well: you can see the problem there. This is about adding a feature (item wear). Valid arguments against it would be "I would find it burdensome" or "I don't think it adds much realism for the work".

The post is relevant because it showed an example where it wasn't extremely burdensome.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Opinion.

I found it burdensome. Along with many other things of course. As was mentioned before, feature creep.

Is armor degrading extremely burdensome on its own...no, neither is food rotting, torches and lanterns blowing out in a ridiculous manner, tools degrading, having to wander the world to get a bunch of items that make little sense to make one poison cure and likely fail...spice rotting...why, who knows, it came from the ground. Poisons degrading. Etc etc.

None of these are "extremely burdensome" alone. Each is but a mild annoyance. Put together...yes, they are extremely burdensome.
Lizzie:

Quote from: X-D on December 23, 2019, 06:12:37 PM
None of these are "extremely burdensome" alone. Each is but a mild annoyance. Put together...yes, they are extremely burdensome.

Exactly! I was trolling a bit about how it's not something players want to an extreme degree, but rather it is something a player must realize they wouldn't want once they have it. I personally hate that spice expires, but this change was due to player responsibility and not the reality of the world. I wish there would have been more discussion concerning that change before enacted! As for poisons expiring, I'd be fine with it if weren't for the amount of time and danger it takes to procure the ingredients for them, apply them to a weapon successfully or not, and then actually use them effectively. The poison change also occurred for inappropriate use if I'm not mistaken!

December 24, 2019, 12:04:43 AM #32 Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:08:21 AM by Mr. Fancypants
Being honest, spice expiring does way more harm than good. It also doesn't make much sense when you consider its origins in general, and the idea of it being stored and packed into warehouses before movement.

If it must expire, it should at least have a lifetime that is quintuple what it is currently.  As it is now, you might as well not bother buying spice unless you plan to smoke it all within a short time frame. Leaving it in a spice box on a table for the timer to relentlessly tick means you'll have no spice within a few IG weeks or a month, depending on the size (pinch, knot, etc). Bricks last longest but don't even fit into spice boxes, so you can't store them properly.

Since the market is so heavily PC-reliant in certain areas, that makes spice use an extremely cumbersome and wasteful exercise in frustration. If you try to stock up, you'll never smoke it all before it goes bad. If you don't stock up, you'll go IG months and sometimes years before the PC market gets back up and running from the latest collapse.

Let people stock up on spice for at least 3-5 IG years, left in spice boxes, on the table, including pinches. It still solves the problem of save rooms full of spice that's 3 ages old, without turning spice acquisition into a frustrating chore.

edit: well shit, this is a complete tangent from the original topic.

Might be cool to have rooms that are sorts of 'Humidors' for spice. Meaning all spice in that room lasts much longer. The sort of room reserved for Nobility / Templars / Spice-Movers.

I don't know about you all, but I don't buy my heroin and then sit on it for a month before getting crazy.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on December 24, 2019, 09:04:08 AM
I don't know about you all, but I don't buy my heroin and then sit on it for a month before getting crazy.

Heroin isn't spice. It doesn't give you the coded benefits that spice gives you. Heroin is also not legal everywhere except for one city.

Spice is not intended to be realistic. It's intended to be a game-specific expansion of the spice used in Frank Herbert's Dune.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think Rievs point is that an addict doesn't typically store drugs or wait to use it patiently. They binge every little bit they can get. Spice may or may not decay at a high rate, I personally don't have any experience with it doing so. I've had spice sit in my spice kits for well over a RL week. 2 RL weeks would be a month so if it decays around that time I think that's fine. Perhaps people shouldn't be stock piling spice in general? If ICly the spice decays at that rate then it is coded to do so. If it ICly decays at a slower rate then the code needs to be looked at for errors.

Spice is used for multiple purposes, and pretending that only desperate addicts smoke it is ignoring the larger issue. The issue is that coded timers and a PC-reliant economy don't mix.

Quote from: Mr. Fancypants on December 24, 2019, 01:18:46 PM
Spice is used for multiple purposes, and pretending that only desperate addicts smoke it is ignoring the larger issue. The issue is that coded timers and a PC-reliant economy don't mix.

Wholeheartedly agree! Spice just shouldn't have been altered in this way or at the very least to this degree. Quadrupling the lifetime may work! However, I still find it jarring to have stacks upon stacks of it stored someplace as it obviously reduces its value, so what can we do about that? Honestly it could be disposed of via VNPCs as an excuse for the spice stock dwindling so that way traders of spices have something to do every other week or so. I'll be the first to admit I've not got the best of suggesions when it comes to spice economics ;D #straightedge

Also! We should take this discussion to a new thread, I'll go ahead and startup one.