Author Topic: A call for goodie two shoes  (Read 2556 times)

JohnMichaelHenry

A call for goodie two shoes
« on: December 07, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »
Okay so, this came up in a chat with a friend and I thought it might be a good idea to put it out there.

I'd like to see more players take on the role of the 'good' guy or gal. It feels to me like the world is becoming ripe with those who always want to play the evil, manipulative, cunning sort with devious motivations, or just straight out murderous psychopaths. I do realize that this is only my perception of how things are, and perhaps I'm just seeing things through a different lens than I have in the past, so I am interested in what other opinions are on this, especially those that have been playing for a long while, as they would be better able to see changes in the player base taking place over time.

Please don't say, "But the tagline is Murder, Corruption and Betrayal!" I know that, and it is what makes Arm an interesting place to play, but imho, just because we have those things doesn't mean that every person in the world has to be a corrupt, betraying murderer. In fact, I'd argue that without more good people in the world, all three of those become commonplace and uninteresting.

Also, please don't be offended and think that I'm criticizing roleplay here. I'm not. I'd criticize myself before any of you, as many of my PC's seem to be the same sort of person and I am trying very hard to change that.

Okay, so let me have it! :) Go ahead and beat me up, I can take it I swear!
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

ShaLeah

Re: A call for goodie two shoes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:51:04 AM »
I actually think there are too many nice people, heh.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

LindseyBalboa

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 10:57:27 AM »
I for one would welcome more devious, manipulative characters, or outright psychopaths. I feel like that's the minority.

Dar

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
At the end of the day, people should just roleplay their character. Nobody is inherently evil, or good.

I saw the kindest, most mild mannered characters turn absolutely murderous when in a position of power over others and those others are threatening them.

I also saw the most devious, corrupt psychopaths stay their hand when they got what they wanted.

And I think it's wonderful and we'll portrayed. Fear is often the seed of evil.

ShaLeah

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »
Fear is often the seed of evil.

Amazing and quotable.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Riev

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »
Based on recent experiences, there IS a lot of "Well, the way to institute lasting change is to kill people. Then you are an instrument of change and people know your name".

However, I DO think there are a lot of good people in Zalanthas, and many played by PCs. It just depends where you are. Allanak, currently and lore-wise, is not exactly the place I would go to expect someone to help out their fellow man for the good feels.

Maybe in a village, or a tribal setting, you would see this more.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Gentleboy

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 05:22:28 PM »
If any of you know my characters, you know I try hard to play non-traditional types.

I think we need less white and black people. And not just indifferent/self-serving, but different types of thinkers than the normal.

There are a multitude of personalities in life and I don't think just because living in Zalanthas should make some of those traits disappear.

Be materialistic
Be arrogant
Be excitable
Be hot-tempered

Half-giant RPers do a great job of giving a variety of emotional and personality traits that other races don't have.

I hope this is on topic and finds itself to be relevant.

Cordon

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 05:24:16 PM »
The worst ones know they have to hide it.. Never know until you dig deep.. My advice.. Dont trust someone until you really piss them off to see what they are made of.

Dracul

• FB
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »
Welcome to Armageddon?

Be especially distrustful of the nice, friendly people They are either a breed or they are playing you.
Veteran Newbie

kahuna

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »
There are good people, civilizations do not exist without them. Now whether PCs play them is another story.

Lizzie

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 08:18:44 PM »
We ARE goodie two shoes. We're just misunderstood.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Dune Bunny

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »
I'm not bad... I'm just rp'd that way.

Riev

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »
There are good people, civilizations do not exist without them. Now whether PCs play them is another story.

This is important to note.

Even in a tyranny, there are going to be good people. Charitable works, people who run shops, artists, etc. 'good' is malleable and subjective.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Bogre

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 11:32:16 PM »
My characters are usually loyal, but not necessarily virtuous or good.

What makes the game interesting is multi-dimensional characters, as mentioned. You might be the kindest person to your tribe, and uncompromising with others. Conflict is best when -characters- are conflicted with themselves, not just because they are at cross purposes with another PC.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 11:44:35 PM »
I refuse to be one or the other. Feed that rinthi girl because it is the nice thing to do. Then mon un fireball the elf out of pure spite.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

AdamBlue

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 09:48:23 AM »
Every character is the hero of their own story.
You can absolutely play a person who is 'nice', whose sole goal is to be known as someone who is nice.
Then, when someone tries to take advantage of that kindness, you cut their head off, eat their brain, and fuck their skull, and then continue being 'nice'.

Alesan

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »
I like that we are not required to roleplay murderous, corrupted backstabbers. I would not be playing here if it was a required goal to murder or betray in every character's lifetime. These things happen organically due to the nature of the game world, not because we have a tagline that tells us to do these things.

The tagline isn't a goal post, it's a description of the world. Play whatever you want.

JohnMichaelHenry

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 05:29:49 AM »
It seems to me that from the responses so far, that perhaps it is my own perception that is skewed. Maybe that smiling, pretty girl at the bar really is into me, and doesn't wanna poison and rob me as soon as we are alone! Or maybe she does...

Anyway, thanks to all who posted. You all are great fun. Let's do some more.
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 01:44:26 PM »
It seems to me that from the responses so far, that perhaps it is my own perception that is skewed. Maybe that smiling, pretty girl at the bar really is into me, and doesn't wanna poison and rob me as soon as we are alone! Or maybe she does...

Anyway, thanks to all who posted. You all are great fun. Let's do some more.

The uncertainty is thematic, though. Zalanthas is a world where you should second guess the pretty girl at the bar. Not everyone at the bar wants to steal your boots, but someone probably does.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

FamousAmos

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »

Alesan

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »

Please explain what you mean by this? Both of you?

Hauwke

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 11:49:55 PM »
I think people cooperate too much, honestly. Quit being amenable to stuff just for the sake of something to do, it is out of character and weird.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »
I think people cooperate too much, honestly. Quit being amenable to stuff just for the sake of something to do, it is out of character and weird.

Play more PCs that take advantage of all the good-natured Amos' and Talias out there.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

ShaLeah

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 02:50:35 PM »

Please explain what you mean by this? Both of you?

I mean that there are too many nice people..? I don't understand what's confusing about that statement.  Can you clarify what you're looking for specifically?

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 03:14:34 PM »
My experience is pretty limited, but this is one of the few times I've actually felt there's a good balance between villains, heroes, and "I'm just living my life" sorts.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.