Brewing Tablets - Multiple sdescs

Started by Mercy, November 18, 2019, 07:18:34 PM

So. After messing with 'brew' for a while I've come across a number of things that just kind of....bug me.

I get that if you make two different cures that look the same they should stack. If you threw a bunch of round green pills in your pocket you'd lose track of which was what.

Which led me to wonder. Is it possible to give each color a series of sdescs (different shapes) to choose from? This way you can feasibly organize your cures based on shape rather than container based sorting or the hoop jumping that is color coordination? And while there is indeed code in place to tell your own cures apart, I have encountered the issue of making a cure and then not being able to identify it via code afterwards. I'm of the assumption this is intentional, regardless of how frustrating/silly it might seem to me so I don't really want to address that point here. But with that in mind; it strikes me that it stands to reason one might endeavor to take steps within their control to better identify what they make.

November 18, 2019, 08:49:25 PM #1 Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 08:53:59 PM by mansa
*cough* See helpfile I wrote that's not implemented yet:
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52152.msg1024408.html#msg1024408

We have two variables:

Taste and Color.

We combine two/three colors and get a result color.
Underlying that, we have two/three tastes.

The sdesc results of BREW are dictated by the colors combined, namely:
Black, Grey, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red, White

That's 8 colors, so 8 different cure items.

Each cure item could be a potential cure for any of the known poisons, which is as per Help Poison 8 different poison items.

Are you are suggesting that there should be 64 different cure objects, 1 object per color (8) per cure type (8)?

a thin, rounded grey tablet (general)
a small, square grey tablet (grishen)
a small, circular grey tablet (methelinoc)
a narrow, rectangular grey tablet (skellebain)
a fat, oblong grey tablet (terradin)
a hexagonal grey tablet (peraine)
a flat, small grey tablet (hermaine)
a grey, cube-shaped tablet (loosetongue)

and repeat per color ?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Also to add: The intention was apparently to allow for obscuring cures. So that you can't just "get red belt;eat red" and know you're curing the right poison. You have to have trust in the person who brewed it, that they didn't brew a poison, that it wasn't a failed cure, and that it cures the right thing.

You cannot "dye/stain" glass vials (a real issue for me) and once your tablet has a color, that's it.

What I started TRYING to do was have a colored bag/pouch/etc, because those CAN be colored, to keep cures of the same type.
So you'd have to get red.pouch belt;get tablet pouch;eat tablet, which adds one extra step.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: mansa on November 18, 2019, 08:49:25 PM

Are you are suggesting that there should be 64 different cure objects, 1 object per color (8) per cure type (8)?

a thin, rounded grey tablet (general)
a small, square grey tablet (grishen)
a small, circular grey tablet (methelinoc)
a narrow, rectangular grey tablet (skellebain)
a fat, oblong grey tablet (terradin)
a hexagonal grey tablet (peraine)
a flat, small grey tablet (hermaine)
a grey, cube-shaped tablet (loosetongue)

and repeat per color ?

First off, no. I don't want tablets to be tied to specific cures.

I'm trying to avoid getting into specifics because I honestly have no idea how detailed I'm allowed to be with specifics on the gdb and I really don't want to get banned.

Right now, if you make a green tablet (regardless of the taste combination) you will always generate the same sdesc. And these green tablets, which can all be different cures stack in your inventory. I have no problem with this in and of itself.

What I'm suggesting is each color (ignore taste, E.G. the actual cure) has 5 (cause that's the max crafts you can have per item combo i believe) shapes associated with it. Cures will still be obscured because not every round green tablet is a general cure. A person can decide to make all their round tablets exclusively comprised of the components to make general cures. But they can just as easily not do that. And another herbalist might do something entirely different.

I'm purposing that any time you would make a grey tablet you see:

a thin, rounded grey tablet
a small, square grey tablet
a small, circular grey tablet
a narrow, rectangular grey tablet
a fat, oblong grey tablet

as your list of options, regardless of the cure itself. Then repeat that for each color. I am also totally fine reusing those exact sdescs and just changing grey to <color>, instead of having to make a unique 5 for each color.

Ahh, I totally get what you're saying now.

I like it

Basically, when you have the mash of a cure, and you craft it into a tablet, you can pick the shape of the result
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I too wish you could choose the shape of your tablet instead of having it populate for you.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Pill presses are a thing in game, but as far as I can tell, they are just RP props. Unless I've missed something. Would be cool to see all different kinds of pill presses with different shapes.

Quote from: Alesan on November 19, 2019, 06:21:28 PM
Pill presses are a thing in game, but as far as I can tell, they are just RP props. Unless I've missed something. Would be cool to see all different kinds of pill presses with different shapes.

I'm actually down with the idea of needing a pill press to have anything more than a mash. Vials need vials, tablets should need pill presses, and it can be an actual needed tool to craft 1 2 3 4 or 5

Quote from: Riev on November 20, 2019, 09:43:28 AM
Quote from: Alesan on November 19, 2019, 06:21:28 PM

I'm actually down with the idea of needing a pill press to have anything more than a mash. Vials need vials, tablets should need pill presses, and it can be an actual needed tool to craft 1 2 3 4 or 5

I honestly don't love this idea, primarily because I am under the impression you can't actually use a cure in it's mash form. However, as long as at least one type of pill press is readily available to the general public I wouldn't complain about it. I never have heard of pill presses before this thread so if hunting down pill presses became the hunt for El Dorado I'd be pretty sad, since a bag full of vials would be my new hell.

You absolutely can use a cure in its mash form, it just decays at a much higher rate than one that is pressed or in a vial.

So. There goes your PRIMARY reason ;)

Quote from: Riev on November 20, 2019, 10:56:38 AM
You absolutely can use a cure in its mash form, it just decays at a much higher rate than one that is pressed or in a vial.

So. There goes your PRIMARY reason ;)

Alright, I'm down with it. (Y'know. Just make at least one pill press 'easily' accessible. I don't mind having to hunt to collect 'em all.)