Locks and Doorways

Started by Brokkr, November 09, 2019, 03:23:33 PM

November 11, 2019, 11:13:06 PM #50 Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:16:54 PM by Heade
I like Vex's take on the doors/locks/doorbars thing. I think all of those ideas are a good basis on how to handle it.

Quote from: Brokkr on November 11, 2019, 04:12:39 PM
Well, if you have a barred door, unless it is a very flimsy bar, I am not sure how you would expect anyone to "bash" it open anyways.  Unless they are a half giant.  I get the locks.

Now, if it is barred...how does Nenyuk get in? And if they can get in, what is to keep a thief from replicating that?

A barred door could be forced open with enough force. As you suggested, dwarf, mul, or half-giant strength, or an application of significant strength with knowledge of how to apply it to breaking down a door(bash skill). Some doors might be made of such quality as to disallow bashing without a ram or something. Since the bar could only be applied from the inside, and Nenyuk owns the place, the bar wouldn't be in place without the occupant being home. So they'd be able to get into unoccupied apartments with a normal key. If the occupant was there, they'd likely be let in. Otherwise, if a tenant made Nenyuk bash down the door to their Nenyuk-owned apartment, said tenant would probably be in heaps of trouble.

Bashing a door in an apartment building, unless you're Nenyuk or AoD/Garrison, should get you crim flagged, I think.

I also like Mansa's idea of being able to pay a premium for an upgraded lock on your apartment. Not sure on the proposed prices, though.

Quote from: Bogre on November 11, 2019, 02:13:11 PM
But if you unlatch, or if it's standing open and you enter, it's imaginable that you ghosted in when they weren't looking or were at a table or in another room (those that have it). Compromising a bit between realism/playability.

If they're in another room, they already won't see you come in unless they're literally watching the door, in which case, any attempt to sneak in should auto-fail anyhow. The number of situations where you could potentially sneak through a door to a Zalanthan apartment while someone is inside and not be seen are so minimal as to NEARLY be a non-factor. In most circumstances, if they're in the room and you try to sneak into the door, you should be seen.

The one case of the person who just leaves their door wide open while they prance around their apartment with their back to the door is an obvious fringe case. I'm willing to sacrifice my sneaky character's ability to sneak in that fringe case for the greater good that comes from, in general, not being able to sneak through an apartment door.

If the person is sleeping on their bed, they won't see you come in even without sneak. So, the couple scenarios where they wouldn't see you are already covered, without mechanical use of the sneak command, even if a flag is placed on the door that doesn't allow you to sneak through it.

I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Brokkr on November 11, 2019, 04:12:39 PM
Now, if it is barred...how does Nenyuk get in? And if they can get in, what is to keep a thief from replicating that?

Quote from: Heade on November 11, 2019, 11:13:06 PM
A barred door could be forced open with enough force. As you suggested, dwarf, mul, or half-giant strength, or an application of significant strength with knowledge of how to apply it to breaking down a door(bash skill). Some doors might be made of such quality as to disallow bashing without a ram or something. Since the bar could only be applied from the inside, and Nenyuk owns the place, the bar wouldn't be in place without the occupant being home. So they'd be able to get into unoccupied apartments with a normal key. If the occupant was there, they'd likely be let in. Otherwise, if a tenant made Nenyuk bash down the door to their Nenyuk-owned apartment, said tenant would probably be in heaps of trouble.

Having a half-giant bust down the door seems like something that'd only be done in extreme situations, like when soldiers need to get into a barred room right that minute. Under normal circumstances I think they could do something like saw or drill through the door, removing it and replacing it in a bit of a more time-consuming but less crude manner. Or perhaps the door could be designed in a way that it can be removed from the wall with time, effort, and a half-giant, if it's made of something like stone - time and effort that would be prohibitive for a thief. If it takes an IC hour+ to accomplish and is very obvious and noisy, it's not something they could believably get away with.

The cost for Nenyuk for replacing the door could be covered by a security deposit type of thing - something paid up front when someone first rents an apartment with a door that can be barred, and returned when they do a 'rent release' that frees up the apartment completely. Nenyuk needing to get through barred doors should be pretty rare, on a virtual scale at least.

November 12, 2019, 09:10:21 AM #52 Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:23:16 AM by Inks
What is with all the stealth nerf threads lately? I noticed very recently that picking a lock echoes to the entire room now (or a balcony levels up when someone in a courtyard picks a lock) I did not know that was changed.

I think you should need to hold a key to use it. Also with the ability to get key pouch es where it goes straight into the hand. Get anything anything es would have so many uses, glows, torches, vials, etc. Also usable with slight of hand skill.

As far as I know, pick has always echoed.

I am also a big proponent for the doorbar, and that's me as a player who really enjoyed every burglar I played.  'Casing the joint' is something that I put into my roleplay over time, but not out of necessity; I just thought it made the whole process more interesting, learning who lived where and what they did.  The side bonus was that it also made me a purveyor of information because I'd collect so much random info that was pertinent to someone else.

I do not have qualms with people being unable to get in while you're logged off.  While that could become restrictive in those scenarios where someone is actually asking you to burgle someone, most of the time, burgling is an independent endeavor.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I am definitely for dead bolt idea. Let the apartments be robbable only if the owner is logged on and able to catch the thief.

Make it an echo. If you are trying to pick a door without any owners logged in, then you get an echo that there is someone in the corridor and you think better of it.  Boom. Yes, it won't make sense, since you can succeed in picking the door across the hall, but it's okey. Worth it.

I mean, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

The lock and the deadbolt would have to be independent.  Sure pick the lock, and once the lock is picked, you can figure out if the door is deadbolted.

I'm thinking the best solution is in the lock upgrades. One upgrade for each 'descriptor' or whatever. Novice - Master. Along with more advanced picks, maybe even a set of picks at advanced and/or master to pick the master locks. The better picks and sets of picks could take more rare materials (not metal. Thats way over the top) and be more difficult to make, also master level.  Along with a greater amount of time necessary to pick a more difficult lock, and the inability to stay hidden while doing so.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: Brokkr on November 11, 2019, 12:29:33 PM
How do doors that are bashed in get fixed?  How does the world respond to such actions?
Somebody with the carpentry skill could remove the broken flag for you.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870