NW NE SW SE movement directions

Started by Thomoto, November 06, 2019, 03:59:49 PM

At this point I don't think it matters, as it has been brought up that whatever you can see should also be able to see you, and would chase after you anyway, so this would ultimately do very little to change things.

Quote from: kahuna on December 15, 2019, 02:11:04 PM
It should just play off your scan/awareness skills. You notice: a ruddy brown mekillot to the northeast.

There are rooms that observe in this manner. Star dunes for instance will show you what happens in other rooms around it so this code kind of exists already?

That's more of the room "observing" mobs entering and leaving rooms that it's watching.  Like how you can watch the room below the balcony in some places.  That's a room feature (if in room w, observe room x, y, z), rather than a skill.

I think the latest talk is having large sized mobs have extra features that extend to the connected rooms of the one room it currently is in.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Alesan on December 15, 2019, 02:47:34 PM
At this point I don't think it matters, as it has been brought up that whatever you can see should also be able to see you, and would chase after you anyway, so this would ultimately do very little to change things.

I have to disagree here. If we're talking about the size of immense creatures such as mekillots it is unlikely they would notice much smaller things around them. They could be rooting around for food, sleeping, thinking about mating, who knows? Of course if we're talking about predators such as tembo yes but this change is not about that, it's about these immense 100 foot long lizards coming out of thin air which is unrealistic.

Quote from: mansa on December 15, 2019, 02:54:05 PM
It should just play off your scan/awareness skills. You notice: a ruddy brown mekillot to the northeast.

There are rooms that observe in this manner. Star dunes for instance will show you what happens in other rooms around it so this code kind of exists already?

That's more of the room "observing" mobs entering and leaving rooms that it's watching.  Like how you can watch the room below the balcony in some places.  That's a room feature (if in room w, observe room x, y, z), rather than a skill.

I think the latest talk is having large sized mobs have extra features that extend to the connected rooms of the one room it currently is in.

I'm pointing out that the code exists, whether that code is used to see mekillots isn't up to me. The latest talk doesn't really interest me as that solution seems strange and unnecessary when you can just tie off your watch skill or something into a message when you get close to a mekillot it pings you that you notice it wherever. This is definitely doable with the watch code rather than tying some kind of 'shadow' object to another room.

Quote from: kahuna on December 15, 2019, 04:02:14 PM
Quote from: Alesan on December 15, 2019, 02:47:34 PM

I have to disagree here. If we're talking about the size of immense creatures such as mekillots it is unlikely they would notice much smaller things around them. They could be rooting around for food, sleeping, thinking about mating, who knows? Of course if we're talking about predators such as tembo yes but this change is not about that, it's about these immense 100 foot long lizards coming out of thin air which is unrealistic.

I agree with you, but the cynic in me is saying this is why it won't happen.

Quote from: kahuna on December 15, 2019, 04:03:53 PM
Quote from: mansa on December 15, 2019, 02:54:05 PM

I'm pointing out that the code exists, whether that code is used to see mekillots isn't up to me. The latest talk doesn't really interest me as that solution seems strange and unnecessary when you can just tie off your watch skill or something into a message when you get close to a mekillot it pings you that you notice it wherever. This is definitely doable with the watch code rather than tying some kind of 'shadow' object to another room.

There's a difference between code designed for rooms and code designed for mobs.
You can set a bunch of flags to a room, including "observe room#100xyz".   This makes it static, you cannot change what room it observes, it just always observes room#100xyz.

Let's go back to the example I listed:

Quote from: mansa on December 15, 2019, 02:04:15 PM
a  X -  X -  X  - X  - X

|    |    |    |    |

b  X -  X -  X  - X  - X

|    |    |    |    |

c  X -  X - MEK - X  - X

|    |    |    |    |

d  X - you - X  - X  - X

|    |    |    |    |

e  X -  X -  X  - X  - X

1    2    3    4    5

Let's say you're D2.  You're basically in the blindspot of the MOB, but if you move north or east you're gonna trigger the MOB to enter your room and attempt to eat you.

You can either have a skill that looks into the room, like 'weather <direction>' does, but then also "bends a corner", so to say.   In the example, if you were to, let's say, "Scout east", while looking at D3, it would display creatures one east and one north (C3) & one east and one south (E3), of you.

That's one option you could do.  That would require using this ability frequently, and it may act pretty weird if E3 was actually a shop or a cave or the entrance to red storm village.

Another option is to force code on "large sized" mobs, that they extend their "space" consistently into the connected rooms, like the 'shadow' idea I mentioned.  That way, if you were to look ahead, you would see a shadow or a tail or something large enough to show up when you "look east".  It wouldn't require any additional commands from the user to enter.

Query: Why do we need to have mobs that are 1 room in size only.  Why can't we have mobs that span multiple rooms?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

QuoteQuery: Why do we need to have mobs that are 1 room in size only.  Why can't we have mobs that span multiple rooms?
Typically rooms especially outdoor rooms span a mile or more. Something that size would be absurd.

I like diagonal movement in theory, but after playing RPI muds for about 20 years now, when I first tried it on SoI 3.0 or whatever it was, I couldn't stand it and get used to it. It just felt so damn wrong.

Some echo or awareness check should exist for mekillots and bahamets diagonally, but much harder to code I'd imagine because there is no actual coded link. Even if we got a echo 1 room away when they moved into range might be a little helpful.
Death is only the beginning...