Stealth vs Scan/theft

Started by Derain, November 02, 2019, 08:44:29 AM

Quote from: Derain on November 03, 2019, 12:54:37 PM
The other thing that needs to be looked at is the fact that thieves without even being able to see what's under someone's cloak can still just go 'steal sword' 'steal axe'. Etc and the script will still run and steal the first one of those it finds, great RP folks.
Weapons that are covered still disappearing may also happen because they can show up with peek.

Maybe there needs to be partial success to scan. Where you can detect the presence and set watch on it. But you cant target it with anything else and the sdesc/mdesc is not displayed. This way people know someone's in the room, they just cant quiet find them.  This way, the sneaky knows he's been found out, but yet located and he knows it's time to get out of there, instead of continuing on with other stealth skills.

Or ... next time someone gets repeatedly failed steal on, they should just file a player complaint on.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

QuoteOr ... next time someone gets repeatedly failed steal on, they should just file a player complaint on.

Yeah.  A lot of the scenarios described as to why it needs balancing are specific scenarios where I'd expect someone else to be let in on it to see if things were legit or abused.

I -have- played that carnifex distraction elf for other thieves before.  It's not common but we do try to do that sometimes.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: rinthrat on November 03, 2019, 08:07:43 PM
Quote from: Derain on November 03, 2019, 12:54:37 PM
The other thing that needs to be looked at is the fact that thieves without even being able to see what's under someone's cloak can still just go 'steal sword' 'steal axe'. Etc and the script will still run and steal the first one of those it finds, great RP folks.
Weapons that are covered still disappearing may also happen because they can show up with peek.

They don't show up if the cloak is closed you'd have to unlatch the persons cloak.. which I've seen not be done more than a handful of times now.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

Is this a recent change? It was possible to see the weapons despite closed cloak for years if you have peek.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Peek with a closed cloak still shows things on belt, but you cannot peek into the cloak without unlatching.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

That's if the cloak is a container and you have an item 'inside' the cloak. Items under the cloak that are covered (belt, items on belt, shirt, etc.) Are visible with peek.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Swear I just tried it recently and it didn't show the weapons.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

Quote from: Derain on November 04, 2019, 06:04:15 PM
Swear I just tried it recently and it didn't show the weapons.

It doesn't show with every attempt until very high levels of peek if I recall.  Sometimes you'll catch only one or two items beneath the cloak, sometimes none, sometimes all.