Morin's Village

Started by The Great Corn, October 27, 2019, 01:11:52 PM

Would not work Zeia, Any time you shrink or force you simply lose players while others move to different areas, often causing the game to be even more diffuse.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

/hp100/HP100/
Over a thousand views and nobody has said what needs to be said?
What a hit
I'm stunned                                           (reel lock stunned)
/hp 02/HP100/

Ya know the Immortals?  They love this game!  I'd argue they love it more than even you and me combined.  They love our ideas! Our ideas help to shape the world and things to come.   They love to work on the game (behind the scenes) and surprise us with great new updates that blow our hair back!  For that we love them!  They are masters of their craft...

Guess what they love?                             Players!

Not the kind that "wish up" asking for cool swords to be hidden in secret caves, or for templar fancy pants to go easier on them.
Ow.. /hp 01/HP100/ I've done this myself in the past, that's why it hurts me.

Nope.. What they actually want is for US to be the change!  They want us to bring them solutions, not question/problems.
They want story-driven characters that change the world around them.  How do you all think the world ended up like this so far?
It's not all death and blood in the sands I assure you, sometimes folks build things..

If 10 PC's made their next characters based out of Morins, with some background in Forestry?   "Oh hi there, you seem really smart with chopping logs" meets "Oh yeah, I'm pretty good, but not as sharp as that guy" also runs into "Hey again fellas, say? any of you find a place to hang yer axe yet?"  Build it and they will come.. 

Hell Kadius might even see an opportune opening there and push Nenyuk out of the way!

~Kadius Lofts~  Starting in the mid first-born-childs

In conclusion!
(a foreign presence contacts your mind)

Huh, that's weird..  anyway, as I was saying..

Build it and they will..... (you're eyes cross and you begin drooling at an alarming rate)
/-11hhp/100/
                              /\\_____//~-_                        _-~\\__
                             (~)       ~-_ ~-_                  _-~ _-~   
                            (~)           ~-_ ~-_            _-~ /-~     
Welcome to Armageddon!     (~)              `~-_ ~_======_--~~ __~       
                          (~)               _~_\__\____/__/_--\ ~`-_   
                           \           _-~~            _-~~~-_ \_  ~-_ 
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

I'm Akariel and this is my favorite post on the Citadel.

Quote from: perfecto on November 17, 2019, 06:02:19 AM
/hp100/HP100/
Over a thousand views and nobody has said what needs to be said?
What a hit
I'm stunned                                           (reel lock stunned)
/hp 02/HP100/

Ya know the Immortals?  They love this game!  I'd argue they love it more than even you and me combined.  They love our ideas! Our ideas help to shape the world and things to come.   They love to work on the game (behind the scenes) and surprise us with great new updates that blow our hair back!  For that we love them!  They are masters of their craft...

Guess what they love?                             Players!

Not the kind that "wish up" asking for cool swords to be hidden in secret caves, or for templar fancy pants to go easier on them.
Ow.. /hp 01/HP100/ I've done this myself in the past, that's why it hurts me.

Nope.. What they actually want is for US to be the change!  They want us to bring them solutions, not question/problems.
They want story-driven characters that change the world around them.  How do you all think the world ended up like this so far?
It's not all death and blood in the sands I assure you, sometimes folks build things..

If 10 PC's made their next characters based out of Morins, with some background in Forestry?   "Oh hi there, you seem really smart with chopping logs" meets "Oh yeah, I'm pretty good, but not as sharp as that guy" also runs into "Hey again fellas, say? any of you find a place to hang yer axe yet?"  Build it and they will come.. 

Hell Kadius might even see an opportune opening there and push Nenyuk out of the way!

~Kadius Lofts~  Starting in the mid first-born-childs

In conclusion!
(a foreign presence contacts your mind)

Huh, that's weird..  anyway, as I was saying..

Build it and they will..... (you're eyes cross and you begin drooling at an alarming rate)
/-11hhp/100/
                              /\\_____//~-_                        _-~\\__
                             (~)       ~-_ ~-_                  _-~ _-~   
                            (~)           ~-_ ~-_            _-~ /-~     
Welcome to Armageddon!     (~)              `~-_ ~_======_--~~ __~       
                          (~)               _~_\__\____/__/_--\ ~`-_   
                           \           _-~~            _-~~~-_ \_  ~-_

TBH, that leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, as I was part of a group of northern-based PCs who tried to get something going in Morin's, and was told point-blank that there would be no staff support for Morin's.

Players can only get so far in the build it and they will come scenario.

Quote from: Delirium on November 25, 2019, 03:28:14 PM
TBH, that leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, as I was part of a group of northern-based PCs who tried to get something going in Morin's, and was told point-blank that there would be no staff support for Morin's.

And you're not alone. The push for players to do things is a narrative all too familiar here. There has to be DMs bringing the world alive and running plots/campaigns or else it's just a bunch of players doing nothing. Not to say that players can't do some things, we have systems in place such as crafting, combat and such, however, anything beyond the idea of a player simply being an antagonist of a plot/storyline would require staff approval/assistance/intervention.

I as a player also don't appreciate being told that I need to go make stuff happen for it to happen. I'm here to play my characters to the best of my ability not organically create a plot that traditionally and historically speaking will go no where.

The reception you're going to get from staff on any given idea or plot or project is going to depend on who is on staff at the time and what their given priorities and work load are. There are a lot of ideas we come up with as players that may be well-received by the relevant staff, but they could be working on too much already. Conversely, it might be the impetus to get the ball rolling on something. I've had my own share of ideas gently (and not gently) rejected for reasons that sometimes made sense to me and sometimes didn't, but there's no reason not to communicate goals and desires and intentions to staff.

All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I feel that is the 'sour taste' though.

Try. Who knows, maybe the inconsistency of staff rules and regulations will fall in your favor. Communicate, because maybe THIS time someone will be for what you've done.

Delerium's post hits me hard, because the Oil and Strigil rollout was done by a Northern "clan" that, while fun to include the Byn to help the rollout, was a northern staff-clan that wasn't PC-led or run. At that time, the North wasn't being "supported", but interesting new code was rolled out with Morin's as an initial base.

Only to try that with PCs and be told that the North is not supported.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Delirium on November 25, 2019, 03:28:14 PM

The best part is the general 'pretending not to know' this, like there already hasn't been a wave of people who came in, threads about this, timeline promises never fulfilled by staff. Shit that can be specifically linked and quoted here if enterprising people felt the need.

If you still play the game, give up on this. This is never happening; the people that made the tuluk you knew, that shaleah hates, they are gone. They arent coming back to revitalize Tuluk, and the people that left the game then are never coming back either.

Quote from: Aruven on December 01, 2019, 10:23:21 AMthe people that made the tuluk you knew, that shaleah hates, they are gone.
I have seen things, really detailed things, that I am sure are from staff about Tuluk, that lead me to be sure that is not truuue! :) There's some interesting stories you'll probably never hear about stuck inside Pride and Prejudice Country!
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."
"The paths diversify, bright strands bring victory, the wrong steps defeat."

Quote from: tiny rainbow on December 01, 2019, 11:51:35 AM
Quote from: Aruven on December 01, 2019, 10:23:21 AMthe people that made the tuluk you knew, that shaleah hates, they are gone.
I have seen things, really detailed things, that I am sure are from staff about Tuluk, that lead me to be sure that is not truuue! :) There's some interesting stories you'll probably never hear about stuck inside Pride and Prejudice Country!

If the staff that originally created and cultured Tuluk returned to the game, revamped and revived it, and we got the players that left in frustration back, I would stand corrected and admit I was wrong about the game direction for the northlands. I shall continue to hold my breath for another few years.

Quote from: Aruven on December 01, 2019, 12:42:16 PM
If the staff that originally created and cultured Tuluk returned to the game, revamped and revived it, and we got the players that left in frustration back, I would stand corrected and admit I was wrong about the game direction for the northlands. I shall continue to hold my breath for another few years.

What version of Tuluk?

The original one?
The one after the dragon destroyed it?
The one after the elementalists destroyed it? 
The one after the Allanaki/Tuluki war ?
The one after the Rebellion ?
The revised one that shrunk it?
The one after the rains in Tuluk that destroyed UnderTuluk?
The one after the Shadow Artists got introduced?

Tuluk has had more changes to the zone than any other city over the lifespan of this game. Every old version of Tuluk is gone forever, and the new version of Tuluk will be different.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I'd be fine with "the playable one"

Quote from: Aruven on December 01, 2019, 10:23:21 AM
... the tuluk [....] that shaleah hates..

I don't hate tuluk, at all.

I think the interpretation and execution of the Tuluk that WAS, the one people mourn, was not brutal and did not fit the theme.

How it was written it should have fit. As it was played, it wasn't.  If I  hate anything...? It's that those players who *might* have played the normal (by the docs) citizen weren't visible among the cheery, long lived stepford wives that got to create beautiful things, collect wealth, friendships, power and influence ALL OVER THE KNOWN.

And I wholeheartedly disagree that those players are gone.  They are alive and well and their existence is 100% evident in some ways the world has changed.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I always thought Tuluk was Newbie land. I hope when they reopen it they entirely gut the culture for a lengthy list of reasons ranging from my person issue with the Caste system to it just always feeling like Arm lite up there.  I do think we could benefit with a Second city but I would rather have something entirely different. Like a City that isn't HUMAN dominated and full of 'more different' Templars, run by yet a even 'more different' Sorcerer King. It would be nice to see a HighLady  :P Every single city and town in Arm is run by a dude...just saying.

P.S. I do like the hand tattoos..that's basically it though. 

Quote from: Blanc de Ocotillo on December 04, 2019, 12:09:13 PM
It would be nice to see a HighLady  :P Every single city and town in Arm is run by a dude...just saying.

Bit of a tangent but woooo 100% agreed (other points are good too). My favorite part of Dune were the Bene Gesserit and for a setting where men and women are supposedly equal this would help flesh that part of the setting out.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

I don't know who "runs" Luir's or Morins, or Blackwing for that matter...

but while Muk Utep may be the Sun King, I think a female High Precentor has been running things for him for a good many years, ever since she took the 'crown'.

I think there are some canonically powerful ladies, but it may be more of a "Find out IC". I've heard theories over the years that make me quiver.

December 04, 2019, 05:20:26 PM #41 Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:34:05 PM by Blanc de Ocotillo
Quote from: Riev on December 04, 2019, 04:03:09 PM
I don't know who "runs" Luir's or Morins, or Blackwing for that matter...

but while Muk Utep may be the Sun King, I think a female High Precentor has been running things for him for a good many years, ever since she took the 'crown'.

I think there are some canonically powerful ladies, but it may be more of a "Find out IC". I've heard theories over the years that make me quiver.

I am aware..but its a 'speculative maybe' that's  'subject to a change'  in opinion of whom ever is currently staff sometimes and the Find out IC thing is a bit of a cop-out..In this case for example. I really just want to see something all its own and completely unique about a second city. I also think Humans by in large a pretty crappy people as a race.   ;)

Maybe the Sandlord is actually a SandLady.
There are matriarchal tribes but that's another thread to be made, no?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

A certain take-no-prisoners badass smelly gith responsible for one of the more significant shakeups of the last few years too. Maybe she's still out there...

1646 (Year 29 Age 22)
An unknown force gathers and binds together the disparate gith warbands languishing in the southern Tablelands. Under this new chieftain the once languishing gith presence in the Pah experiences a revival – settled tribes are raided to extinction, byways through the desert become gith-ridden death-traps as the gith menace begins to spread.

1647 (Year 30 Age 22)
The N'kala are slaughtered to a man by a bold night raid by a gith warband, marking the first incursion into the northern Tablelands by gith in several Kings Ages.

Unchecked, the gith warbands become bolder, surging forth from their old territories to erect crude stockades and barricades in the northern Pah. Sporadic skirmishes cause this offensive to falter, but not collapse. These toeholds allow gith free reign across the Tablelands – many small human and elf tribes are exterminated, with those that survive joining an exodus from the Pah.

1648 (Year 31 Age 22)
During a migration of their camp, the Soh Kah, Azzah Kah is slain in single combat with a gith swathed in the red robe of an Allanaki Templar.

Ravaged by gith raiding and ashen defilement, the oasis known as the Gem begins to wither – its water turning putrid and its soil sterile.

In retaliation for a magickal attack on their camp, the Sun Runners launch a daring raid on the gith mesa. Few return – but the fires burn for days.

Word spreads amongst the displaced tribal peoples of 'Ghorog' – a she-gith wearing the red robe of the black pit. The tally of the slain by her hand and the hordes she leads grows with each telling.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

As someone who loved Tuluk, I don't think bringing it back is the answer.

Instead I feel Luirs still has untapped potential.

Not to derail, but something that I want to see would would be like to see is Luirs taken over by a re-invigorated Tuluk. The NPC army force turning it into a tuluki outpost maybe managed by one or two nobles, who's job would be to begin to plot and spy on allanak, maybe make friends with the 'brutes' in redstorm. The plots they would be coming up with would be a bit more high level than harassing commoners hunting in the outskirts though. At the same time bringing back much of the culture of tuluk to the outpost as they hold the 'frontlines', mixing it in with the tribal culture present there(remember tuluk always had a tribal area anyways).

Kurac would still operate there but no longer in charge of their own home, with the internal security managed by Tuluk legionaries npcs. They would still have the kuraci fists(PCs) to help secure trade routes and such. Going back to balancing business and the politics between tuluk and allanak.

This would give Allanak an old enemy poking at its gates again, giving some people to experience the culture of tuluk (with nobility having partisans,etc), and another place to run away to if things get too crappy in allanak who will appreciate trouble caused. All this without having a full blown city with branches of the same merchant houses, mercenaries,etc.  Granted this would suck for gemmers and a bit more so for hidden magickers but every other role would benefit. 

The immediate problem I have with that, is that anyone with any level of power heading to Luir's always just turns it into their own playground.

Any time there is a super successful GMH PC there, they have far, far too much power there.

Quote from: Hauwke on December 23, 2019, 04:33:50 PM
The immediate problem I have with that, is that anyone with any level of power heading to Luir's always just turns it into their own playground.

Any time there is a super successful GMH PC there, they have far, far too much power there.

I don't have a problem with a sponsored role having power in any given area, for example templars.

My problem is that GMH have no reason or ability to get into conflict with allanak. Thus at best they feel limited to harassing low level unaffiliated PCs or small groups who play in the area. Tuluki nobility however would have both the motivation and the backing to create those higher level plots with the people around them, looking for those allies and connection to help them achieve something bigger.

That's true, it just always feels awkward as hell when some low ranking player Kuracci is kicking people out of Luir's for being a half-elf or something. It just feels way more flex than it should because the only people to have the ability to say otherwise are equally low ranking people who are beholden to them.

If they were replaced by Nobility, I suppose it would feel a little more inline with the game for me, but it still feels weird.

December 25, 2019, 12:19:15 AM #48 Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 12:34:36 AM by Dresan
Their motivations are different.

GMH has always felt they are all about making profit as they balance the politics of various groups and factions. Something which was a lot more fun with both tuluk and allanak around. It is because of this I've come to believe GMHs managing Luirs is not that great of an idea with the current state of tuluk. Again something feeling like they've been reduced to messing with smaller groups or merchant in the area instead of trying to keep themselves from being crushed by the giant city states playing in the sandbox.

The motivation for tuluki nobility would be the absolute downfall of Allanak. Thus the scope and playing field is much larger and broader.

For example, I can see southerners visiting luirs feeling quite welcomed since they are potential spies and pawns for nobility stationed there. Raiders impeding trade southern trade routes is something GMHs would care about, but nobility wouldn't care about this, they might want to meet these people and invite them to the outpost. This would infuriate GMHs but without any control of the outpost they would be back to imposing their will in the wilderness or from the shadows.

Tuluk lost the last clash, they would be weaker, so alliances with other small against what they would begin advertising is a common enemy is probably something they would work towards. Even if its just to use these groups like disposable minions in their plots and schemes to weaken the the entire city of 'nak with no cost to Tuluk who may still be recovering.

I think some things would play out in Allanak a lot differently if they actually had to begin considering the potential for sabotage with their city, or with their public operations. Again less about killing of grebbers or aides, and more causing mass riots, infrastructure damage or great economical/resource loss.

Anyways my point was, if I would like to see a little more from Luirs before we focus on Morins.

*waves a tiny "either bring back or take over Tuluk but please quit letting it languish in limbo" flag*