Author Topic: Quality roleplay on a NWN (EE) permadeath server  (Read 276 times)

Akaramu

Quality roleplay on a NWN (EE) permadeath server
« on: October 16, 2019, 07:51:58 PM »
Some of you might have played on Neverwinter Nights (NWN) persistent online worlds back in the day. I never have, but now that the enhanced edition was released on Steam, I've discovered the beauty of player-created content and worlds and would like to invite y'all to come check this out. Good stuff!

Anyone without NWN experience: I'd recommend some single player content to get used to vanilla mechanics before diving into multiplayer.

Single player modules aside (I can recommend a few really amazing ones, ask if interested) I just started playing on a persistent, roleplay enforced server world with permadeath and am kind of impressed by the quality of the roleplay I've seen, as well as the depth and intricacy of its world building and gameplay systems. According to NWN EE's server list it has less players logged in than Armageddon MUD, but the world isn't huge and it's surprisingly easy to run into them. The world I picked is Knights of Noromath. Some points of note:

-Disguise system based off vanilla NWN's bluff / perform skills that lets you adjust your appearance, your displayed name and even how strong / agile etc you appear to others.
-Permadeath is referred to as 'persistent' death. Cleric resurrection spells can bring somebody back, but only if the body is found and retrieved. And yes, bodies can be moved and hidden to prevent this from happening. Characters under level 10 can also deal with devils to come back (for a cost).
-Full PvP, but with effective player justice systems that prevent gankfests
-Players (at least humans) can attain ranks, own property and even become barons
-Weather system that can cause damage and debuffs if you're unprepared and your survival skill sucks
-No erotic roleplay allowed, but PG13 romances are fine
-Guns!
-Multiple characters are allowed
-Evil / antagonist roles are a thing, but of course far more challenging.
-Certain classes like bards can earn extra XP through roleplay. I've also gotten tiny, but steady xp bumps at regular intervals just for playing (without killing monsters).
-Forgotten Realms setting with some degree of creative freedom (areas, some new spells etc)
-The server admins really seem dedicated to provide an experience reminiscent of pen and paper sessions.

Here's the official trailer for it:

There's a **** ton of background information about races, sub-races, religions and so on... lots of material for building your character. There's even a huge section about laws and punishment for a variety of different crimes, check it out here: http://tethyrknights.com/about

Please share your NWN single- or multiplayer experiences (today and back then) and any advice you might have for someone who is just now getting started!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:56:30 PM by Akaramu »

Lizzie

Re: Quality roleplay on a NWN (EE) permadeath server
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 08:29:12 PM »
I played NWN for a very short time (a month maybe?) back in the early-1990's on AOL. It was while Gemstone III was down while they added a new T4 server at the Simutronics offices.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Akaramu

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 08:30:57 AM »
I played NWN for a very short time (a month maybe?) back in the early-1990's on AOL. It was while Gemstone III was down while they added a new T4 server at the Simutronics offices.

Its initial release date was 2002  ;D Did you mean the early 2000s?

I only played it a few weeks myself (before the enhanced edition) because I didn't look beyond the official campaigns. I had no idea what I missed. Was it the same for you?

Riev

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:29:54 AM »
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Lizzie

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »
Lizzie is referring to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_(1991_video_game)

Yup. I remember it was a huge deal when NWN left AOL and opened up on the Web, which had just blown up into a huge deal for the masses. That, and Gemstone III, then Dragonrealms - the public accessibility of the WWW obliterated all the "online service" companies and everything they offered. I was the file librarian on Prodigy at the time for their New Age section, so I had full access to the services for free. That was when I cut my teeth on Gemstone, the first MUD I ever played. I used the freebie disks that came in the mail to access AOL, so I had that free every 3 months as long as I kept making new accounts each time. I must've had around 25 accounts.

Akaramu

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »
Oooh. I didn't even know that was a thing, or that there was another early MMORPG before Everquest.

I was referring to this one:

It was a single player RPG with an extensive DM toolset, allowing anyone to create and run their own modules for friends. That toolset was what made it insanely popular in the 2000's, and extended its lifespan beyond that of any other single player RPG I know of. Hell, it's 2019 and people are still creating new worlds and modules for the game (downloadable for anyone, for free), though most have switched to the enhanced edition (released 2017 I think?) by now.

The one you're referring to is a completely different game and I have no experience with it. Is it even still playable today?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:41:20 AM by Akaramu »

Lizzie

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 12:09:32 PM »
NWN was bought, and closed, and opened with a new version, then shifted to yet another version before finally closing in 2012. The NWN you play now, and have had access to since then, was based off of the original.

Akaramu

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 05:08:56 PM »
I'm surprised none of you RP buffs played this thing recently... come on, the graphics are MUCH better with the enhanced edition!  :P

In other news, I switched to the Arelith server because it tempted me with prospects of playing a denizen of the Underdark. YAY! This one actually has quite a lot of players (easily 100+ on the combined servers during evenings) and several features that I could not resist:

-PIRATES! And player owned ships, with player crews and naval combat. There was even an event earlier this year where several ships raced against each other.

-Did I mention you can play a denizen of the Underdark? And yes, Drow society (and other races, there's even playable svirfneblin) is roleplayed as it should be, as far as I've seen. If you create a male Drow character, you know what to expect.

-You can play a slave and be owned by a PC. And yes, Drow kidnapping other races to enslave them is a thing.

-Raids of underdark denizens against surface towns are a thing, and vice versa. The surface and UD are on separate world servers, but it's possible to travel between them using portals.

-Players can own houses and shops, but only one per account

-No permadeath unfortunately, but there's an optional 'Mark of Destiny' that limits your character to 10 lives (even if resurrected) and gives you an xp bonus.

-Creating and running your own clan (called faction) seems to be relatively painless, there's player created Drow houses for instance, with the politics you'd expect from a Drow house.

Come on folks, check this out!