The Apothecary - My idea for a field medic/herblore based character guild

Started by Bebop, October 11, 2019, 03:04:12 AM

I really like the new classes, and I'm glad we have more options. I have a few ideas on classes, but there is one class in particular I feel that is very poignantly missing.

Due to the changes for guilds poison is now PROLIFIC and a starting skill for many classes, whereas it often used to be branched.  Instead, now brew is often the branchable skill meaning there are many a poisons and antidotes can be harder to come by.  I would really like to see a mundane class that is based around mundane nursing, herblore, midwiving and/or medicinal assistance.  In short, a non-magickal healer.  I have some other character guild ideas but this one is my favorite.

There is soooo much to brew and analyze as far as herbs, poisons and such in the game.  I really think a character guild like this would be a lot of fun and have a lot of value/playability in game.  For your consideration, I give you the Apothecary

Apothecary
The Apothecary is often sought out for their skill around all things medicinal and curative.  Highly valued during times of war, the Apothecary is adept in tending to the wounded of Zalanthas.  There are many career paths for the savvy Apothecary.  Fast-thinking midwives as well as those knowledgeable in herb-lore and curatives are always eagerly sought after.  Suturing wounds and producing clean bandages are the dominion of the Apothecary.  They are at home amongst the fauna of Zalanthas, and can be formidable with the right plants in their hands.  The Apothecary is accustomed to working with sharp instruments and those with interest can gain some skill in self-defense with knives, although it is their knowledge of poisons that truly give them the edge in this realm.  They are observant by nature, using their keen eye to perform operations, amputations and keeping an eye on their patients.  Eventually, they gain some skill in the marketplace, learning to sell their services and goods as well as finding additional uses for the cloth they use in bandage production. Experienced Apothecaries will be able to function as field medics, guarding, rescuing their patients or dragging them off of the field.  Some may even become comfortable with dissection.  Alternatively, some of the Apothecary class may feel content around the kitchen, brewing up the tasty concoctions, chopping meat and tending to a patron of some kind far from the battlefield.

Starts with the following skills, which progress up to:

Master:  contact, barrier, bandage, bandage making, brew, cooking
Advanced: watch, peek, forage, listen, piercing weapons, rescue, skinning, ride, flee
Journeyman:  shield use, two handed, dual wield

May eventually acquire the following skills through use, which progress up to:

Master:  poison, haggle, expel
Advanced:  slight of hand, value, clothworking, throw, guard, armor repair, toolmaking
Journeyman: subdue, scan

Branch Tree:

Bandage Making > Clothworking, Toolmaking, Armor Repair
Rescue> Guard, Subdue
Piercing Weapons > Throw
Brew>Poison
Peek>Sleight of Hand
Listen> Scan, Haggle, Value
Barrier>Expel

---Apothecary is the only guild that can produce custom brewing items at the level of master.  (Once monthly.)
---Can produce custom bandage making and cooking items at the level of master.

Basically, as you can see, this guild is most comfortable studying herblore and has some survivability with combat but primarily they are there to save lives, not take them.  They don't have many tricks up their sleeves as far as combat goes but given enough time, with the right herbs in their hands they could be a threat regardless of their basic understanding of combat.  This translates to knowing their way around a kitchen, and a knife.  They are able to butcher animals, perform vivisection or dissection.  I feel this role could have many possible interpretations.  I would love to see a character like this, where being a medic/saving lives is their bread and butter instead of their subguild.

Don't we have this already with the right guild chosen with the Apothecary subguild down to even Mastercrafting in medic wares?

Quote from: Gypsy on October 11, 2019, 10:21:52 AM
Don't we have this already with the right guild chosen with the Apothecary subguild down to even Mastercrafting in medic wares?

I don't think so.  Especially not with the rescue and guard capabilities.

Staff has said before you can't MC brew. I think this is due to code.

It's an interesting skill tree, but I think it doesn't give the class enough chance to NOT be a skinner + brewer + bandage maker + poisoner.

I also think it's a limitation of the brew code why there isn't craftable brew items, but I could be wrong.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

While certain things like soap are crafted using the normal crafting code, all the cures are in a schema.  So you can't mastercraft a poison cure and that isn't something we would want folks doing anyways.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 11, 2019, 02:18:02 PM
While certain things like soap are crafted using the normal crafting code, all the cures are in a schema.  So you can't mastercraft a poison cure and that isn't something we would want folks doing anyways.

Hmm.  I was thinking it would be fun to allow like special soaps or oils to be brewed or crafted.  But that's less important to me.

Mansa, to your point could add direction sense and hunt in there but mostly would want them to be healers not hunters.

I see them as being good guards, aides, healers, independents, chefs.  Definitely not sneaky and more city based than a wanderer.  But with the right subguild combo who knows.

I personally would love to play a class like this.  Like a crafter type who's trade is cooking and healing abilities.

'Healer' is too narrow of a scope for a full class, I think. It's why Apothecary is a subclass in the first place. It's a job, subclasses are like what your PC did as a job before play.

You could just go Stalker for the everything you need to play this concept there is no need to upset the balance of the current selection of classes to make something you can already do. Bandage making to advanced? Yup. Bandage to master? Yup. Ride? Yup. Dsense? Yup.

Quote from: Bebop on October 11, 2019, 02:52:26 PM

Hmm.  I was thinking it would be fun to allow like special soaps or oils to be brewed or crafted.  But that's less important to me.

Soaps, oils, lotions, hair dyes, cosmetics and all that are all craftable via the custom crafting process to those with the available skills, so feel free to go nuts!  The only thing that isn't allowed is specific poison cures, due to the massive revamp of the brew code that took place a few years ago.

[Edited after correct viewing of the current Custom Crafting guidelines. -Shal]

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52152.0.html
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Is there a guild that has leather working and brew going to master? As well as reasonable levels of tanning?

It will also need sap, subdue, and probably some level of stealth skills.

It puts lotion on the skin.

Quote from: Dar on October 11, 2019, 08:08:51 PM
Is there a guild that has leather working and brew going to master? As well as reasonable levels of tanning?

It will also need sap, subdue, and probably some level of stealth skills.

It puts lotion on the skin.

This made me chuckle.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: Hauwke on October 11, 2019, 03:48:05 PM
'Healer' is too narrow of a scope for a full class, I think. It's why Apothecary is a subclass in the first place. It's a job, subclasses are like what your PC did as a job before play.

You could just go Stalker for the everything you need to play this concept there is no need to upset the balance of the current selection of classes to make something you can already do. Bandage making to advanced? Yup. Bandage to master? Yup. Ride? Yup. Dsense? Yup.

I don't agree because I field medic would need things like rescue, guard and subdue to keep people safe on the field.  Also often you can't get master cooking or be able to master make bandages and really dig in on the doctor role at the same time.

Stalker gets guard and rescue, if not subdue. But why would a medic need subdue?

Quote from: rinthrat on October 11, 2019, 09:58:18 PM
Stalker gets guard and rescue, if not subdue. But why would a medic need subdue?

To drag someone to safety who might be prone.  Or hold down a patient to operate.

Stalker also doesn't get custom cooking and has to branch brew.

I like it.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Abilities:

Handle two mounts at once.
Learn languages more easily.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

While, generally, I am in favor of more options for character customization than less, I feel like this character concept can already be done with several of the options we have available to us.

The Apothecary ESG gives the basics, allowing the mastering of brew, which doesn't allow custom crafting due to code limitations. But it DOES allow the mastercrafting of bandages, splints, and poultices. Other core classes give pretty close to what is being asked for here, like stalker for the outdoorsy version, or even Fence.

I just think there are other core classes and concepts that should be addressed before we codify something like this that can already be done. Like the fact that it is currently impossible to be both a master of stealth, and have master backstab, since thematically, these skills sort of go hand in hand.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on October 11, 2019, 07:01:18 PM
Quote from: Bebop on October 11, 2019, 02:52:26 PM

Soaps, oils, lotions, hair dyes, cosmetics and all that are all craftable via the custom crafting process to those with the available skills, so feel free to go nuts!  The only thing that isn't allowed is specific poison cures, due to the massive revamp of the brew code that took place a few years ago.

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52152.0.html

Special Skill-Related Restrictions:
Armor repair, brew, component crafting, wagonmaking, lumberjacking, perfumes and liquid types (e.g. teas, alcohols, etc.) are not available for custom crafting at this time. Only crafted skills can be custom crafted for. If the effort behind a custom craft is not backed by a skill, then it will be rejected.

From the helpfiles...

I think what you said is incorrect then, Shaloonsh? Oils are a liquid, soaps are made with brew,  I think lotions are a liquid as well. Or is that not the case anymore?

It would be unkind if some players were getting special permissions while others believed the help-files and public statements.

Soap and candles are under brew, yes. Hair-dyes and kohl, in theory, are dyeing and both require special programs attached to the objects, each being individualized for said object in terms of color and action. Whilst is it is entirely possible to custom craft a glob of dye to wear in the hair, I would prefer more advanced cosmetics such as presently available and craftable hair-dye-pots remain a trade secret to their required clan.

In terms of the Apothecary Guild suggestion, I am with Heade. This is very closely done already and with an approved Special Application could be spot on. I would much rather see a true Assassin and Ranger worked on.

I stand corrected as to the current help files.
From the rest of them.
And protected them.

Quote from: Silksquad on October 12, 2019, 03:29:25 PM
Soap and candles are under brew, yes. Hair-dyes and kohl, in theory, are dyeing and both require special programs attached to the objects, each being individualized for said object in terms of color and action. Whilst is it is entirely possible to custom craft a glob of dye to wear in the hair, I would prefer more advanced cosmetics such as presently available and craftable hair-dye-pots remain a trade secret to their required clan.

I understand this is your preference, but it isn't a trade secret.  Several cultures have had dyed hair in game for RL decades, and that isn't going to be changing.  If anyone from an indie or tribal group wants to make a pot to put hair dye in, they are free to do so.
From the rest of them.
And protected them.

Here is how I understand it.  Brew code to make soaps or similar cosmetic/RP prop items are fine. Brew code that would need actual code updates (poison cures, similar) are not fine. Brew code to make perfumes and oils are more strictly limited, but they have been done in the past, mostly if you are a GMH employee with the appropriate resources. This should all probably be clarified better in the helpfiles.

Quote from: Shalooonsh on October 12, 2019, 03:37:57 PM
Quote from: Silksquad on October 12, 2019, 03:29:25 PM

I understand this is your preference, but it isn't a trade secret.  Several cultures have had dyed hair in game for RL decades, and that isn't going to be changing.  If anyone from an indie or tribal group wants to make a pot to put hair dye in, they are free to do so.

Per my quote, this is precisely why I said to their required clan, not to a specific clan.