Temporary alphanumeric keywords

Started by MeTekillot, September 22, 2019, 11:37:51 PM

A command that would temporarily add a keyword to you (1a, 2b, 7f, 4e, etc) that would append that in parenthesis to the end of your short description.

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 22, 2019, 11:37:51 PM
A command that would temporarily add a keyword to you (1a, 2b, 7f, 4e, etc) that would append that in parenthesis to the end of your short description.

why?
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I like this idea in theory, but it would create a divide in the playerbase.   Those who are decent with scripting or programming would become much more capable in mass combat situations, which in turn causes other problems.   
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

September 23, 2019, 02:19:11 AM #5 Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:22:26 AM by Halcyon
When some players have auto rescue and flee triggers, and some characters can summon or otherwise command minions, you can force screen scroll to mechanically disadvantage another player.   I've seen this used in two games before as pvp tactics.

At the very least, zmud and cmud would make it easy to push a list of current combatants to a separate window.  With a little research and math, you could have running hp bars that would approximate correct.

On the other hand, if you wanted to build a iphone or flash/unity telnet client with a bunch of scripting, you could repackage Arm with entirely button or pulldown driven combat.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

QuoteBotting - the act of running a script, client triggers, or some other function to completely automate your character's actions - is forbidden. Breaking this rule will result in a warning on the first occurrence, a seven day ban on the second, and a permanent ban if there's a third.

Even using triggers to give yourself an advantage in combat is a no-no.

Really I think we just need some battle survey commands that are better than "look".  I suggested this a while ago: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,41201.0.html

Quote from: Brokkr on September 23, 2019, 12:05:19 PM
QuoteBotting - the act of running a script, client triggers, or some other function to completely automate your character's actions - is forbidden. Breaking this rule will result in a warning on the first occurrence, a seven day ban on the second, and a permanent ban if there's a third.

Even using triggers to give yourself an advantage in combat is a no-no.

The issue is that it's pretty difficult to prove someone is using triggers, macros, etc. Typing speed, reaction time, and latency vary so much from person to person that there can be a huge difference between two people without either of them utilizing triggers.

And while I don't use triggers myself, I have been told by other, long-time members of this community that they normally set up combat triggers for themselves. Since they're such long-term players who have admitted to using combat triggers, I have to assume that it is difficult for players and staff in concert to determine that they're using these. Because player vs. player combat is deadly and therefore a bit more rare an activity than many others, people using triggers as defensive measures in combat are hard to track. Instead, the people who likely get caught for using triggers are likely using them for rather mundane activities like mining, foraging, or cutting down trees.

My point in going into all of this is that we shouldn't be pursuing changes that would likely give people who utilize scripts and triggers even more advantage than they already have, simply due to the fact that it's difficult to enforce the rule of not using triggers for pvp.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.