Pregnancy and STD

Started by Bast, September 19, 2019, 04:46:11 PM

September 19, 2019, 04:46:11 PM Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 04:53:18 PM by Bast
Why don't we have Pregnancy code yet? I have played on other muds that have done this really well. It confuses me that Arm with all its super awesome code doesn't have code for this. What I would like to see is this.

-A simple 'engage sex Amos' code that would prompt Amos to consent yes or no.

-Taking muls mix would start an irl 24 hour long timer that would display like spice or poison

-lets assume the herblist's packets hold a weeks worth of doses. (some of ya'll take to damn long mud sexing)

-if both parties are on muls mix its like 98% effective

-if just one person is on Muls Mix it drops to 75% (we are talking bronze age contraceptives here 75 seems generous)

-Add a Viv spell that makes someone more fertile

-Add  a ruk spell that blocks pregnancy

-Heavy damage in combat can cause miscarriage

-Add a Drovian spell that causes miscarriage..it just sucks the little buggers soul right on out

-Let a massive overdoes of Mul's Mix cause miscarriage but it might make you sterile.

-Add an NPC in the Hall of Kings that can make you sterile if you don't want to deal with the code, if you're a mutant, or if a mek ate your balls or whatever..He can hang out with the Scars guy

-Add Pregnant to the ldesc of any female pc in second half of her 40 week pregnancy. (i.e. the pregnant lanky teen sits here)

-Pregnant player is on timer that lets them know how many weeks pregnant they are. I.E. 'You are 23 weeks pregnant, Human gestation is 40 weeks.'

-After 36 weeks pregnant your considered at risk of imminent labor. Damage could trigger labor. I.E. sorry girl you are too preggers to spar.

-After 36 weeks you can just type "give birth" to end the timer. This way you can rp it or not as you choose

-At 42 weeks the mud just tells you, "you should have given birth by now" the timer ends on its own.

STD's

-Add NPC hookers that 'walk you into the back ally' that run like 2% chance of infecting you

-Add a Whore house that players can use the request tool to join as pc hookers. This way staff is making sure this isn't being abused by players for a free apartment.

-Add Brothels to the Rinith, the Commoners Quarter, and a really cool one in Luirs

-PC hookers get free room and food because they are assumed to be seeing John's in vitrual time for there rent.

-PC hookers at the brothel run a random chance of picking up STD's. This risk is MUCH higher for the Hookers at Rinth brothel.

-Give stds an incubation period where the PC can spread it but doesn't know they have it yet.

-make IG cures for all but the most nasty STD's

- Add a Viv spell that cures STD's

-Let Templars fine the crap of Whores that aren't operating under a NPC madame at a Whore to encourage people to use the brothels. (Token of the Nightwalker?)

-Make horrible STD that is Non lethal to Elves but kills humans slowly with no cure >.> <.<  ;)

Seriously it feel cheesy when your pc is engaging in risky behavior without some chances of real life consequences. I think this would add a ton to the game. When is the last time you saw a Female Noble PC get pregnant outside a marriage contract despite the hedonistic lifestyle of Southern Nobility? Or how often have you seen a prego player almost die in multiple combats claim the baby is fine- despite being late term? Or someone conveniently get pregnant when it would impose the maxim amount of unnecessary drama? Its rare to see whore PC ever complain of unwanted pregnancies or STD's from my experience.
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

September 19, 2019, 04:58:22 PM #1 Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:01:55 PM by LindseyBalboa
I have staffed on games where this is a thing, and I don't know about staff here (although I'm going to wager sentiments are the same), but having to regulate whether or not people were banging in game but skipping the consequences of having a pregnancy chance was not on my Top 100 list of Things to Do. Or Top 1000. Or at all.

I think of this kind of thing like code-forced shaving. Sure, it's realistic. But why would I have to RP that if I didn't want to? I can pose it, I can do it if I want, but please don't make me shave every day. In the same sense if I decided to play a pregnant woman one day, please don't make me RP all the shit that goes with it, or sit in a room and not go out and do fun every-day things without being forced to possibly RP a miscarriage.

Lastly, as for STDs, it falls right back into enforcing people's sexual escapades and having to regulate whether or not they're using a command. STDs can be sources of RP, for sure - I know a guy that played some Star Wars MUX or MUSH and rolled up a doctor who diagnosed like every other person on a capital ship with STDs because that was most of the RP on that ship. You could suddenly accuse a sexual partner of giving you the clap here, too, and use it against them, all the while without asking staff to watch you RP out sex and also make sure you're using a command to roll a risk of catching Zalanthas herpes.

TL;DR I think this stuff should remain up to player decision to RP them out
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Yeah, I don't see this as necessary or a good idea at all. For all of the reasons LindseyBalboa stated.

September 19, 2019, 05:03:48 PM #3 Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:05:54 PM by Bast
double post
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on September 19, 2019, 04:58:22 PM

Which is why I said there should be a CONSENT message you can type NO to and NPC that can sterilize you if you don't want to deal with it.

The issue with that, to me, is you can already choose TO engage in having STDs or pregnancies, instead of defaulting everyone to engage in such things and then require them to say no. So, same exact end result, but without having to do anything. Wish up and ask for some sores or RP some symptoms out if you want to go that route.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on September 19, 2019, 05:05:49 PM
The issue with that, to me, is you can already choose TO engage in having STDs or pregnancies, instead of defaulting everyone to engage in such things and then require them to say no. So, same exact end result, but without having to do anything. Wish up and ask for some sores or RP some symptoms out if you want to go that route.

Again its a simple prompt you choose to type no to if you don't want that level of depth added to how you play the game. You are required ask a player OOC for contest in a sexual situation any way. Here you can still have your mud sex just don't consent to the code.  I feel in no way that game play is burdened by having someone ask OOC if I am okay proceeding with a scene of sexual nature or torture ect. I am just clarifying here otherwise we will just have to agree to disagree. 

Quote from: LindseyBalboa on September 19, 2019, 04:58:22 PM
+100%

Quote from: Bast on September 19, 2019, 05:04:42 PM
Which is why I said there should be a CONSENT message you can type NO to and NPC that can sterilize you if you don't want to deal with it.

I personally feel that is a rather extreme set of binary options when a story can be subtle and nuanced as it currently stands.

Quote from: Bast on September 19, 2019, 04:46:11 PM
Why don't we have Pregnancy code yet?

I personally would much rather have the expansion to the wound system we just got and refinements to it than sex code. This sounds like a lot of work for a very narrow payoff to a specific subset of players. I don't want this code.

There are all kinds of divergent cultural norms regarding pregnancy and sexuality leading to the expectation of how it should be manifested in game. I feel the current setting and norms IG allow for those to be expressed as the characters involved wish to. Sometimes staff do get involved and I have generally found that to be an enhancement to the plot in question, but I also have seen people react very strongly towards the negative when that happens. Players emphasize different parts of the story, sometimes people aren't going to care about the same things in the same way, or at all.

Seriously it feel cheesy when your pc is engaging in risky behavior without some chances of real life consequences.

There are differing perspectives regarding risk and consequence. There is already a high risk of death not to mention organizational influences that affect professional sex work.

I do not feel adding a coded aspect would enhance my experience of the game in any way.

Its rare to see whore PC ever complain of unwanted pregnancies or STD's from my experience.

It's rare to scare away your clients or hear medics tell you how many people they got sick/killed while training. My experience is to the contrary, I have heard plenty of complaining... between whores in private or to their trusted confidants. I don't recall hearing frequent discussion of STDs in the real world, and we have much better education, identification, and screening than Zalanthas. Maybe that person that crosses their legs so often has crotch scrabs and is playing it subtle, just because someone doesn't 'shout I HAVE AN STD' doesn't mean they aren't trying to roleplay it. I don't expect everyone in Zalanthas to even have a concept that you can transmit sickness through sex. Probably sex workers and medics have a vague idea, but I see 'I walked past the gick quarter' as being 5x more likely than 'I had sex with a whore' as the default rationalization.

I personally find miscarriage to be extremely traumatic, so I don't RP it. I have no problem with STDs or unwanted pregnancies, so I will RP those (and have). I don't think gender equality would be as much a thing as it is supposed to be on Zalanthas if pregnant women were treated like invalids. They do all the same things the men do, the infant mortality rate is high, but it is virtual for me. I won't try to make others confirm to my expectations, but I will play the role and story the way that it makes sense to me.

Trying to codedly enforce consequence for sexual behavior is not a direction I would like to see us move in. Play it or don't. If you want to see more miscarriages and STDs, do it. No one is stopping you.

I am not for pregnancy code. It's completely unnecessary.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

There are multiple RPIs at the moment with a system similar to what Bast is suggesting. For the purpose of example, I am going to reference Harshlands here. They have a very advanced and automated system towards intercourse and the after effects of said intercourse in terms of realism. You can bypass it by simply not accepting the programmed insemination, yes, but you can also immerse yourself into the realism of cause and effect. There are potions that boost fertility and there are teas that prevent pregnancy or abort said pregnancy. There is the risk of ensuring yourself sterile in the process. Some races have lower percentage of success rates in getting pregnant and there is a coded chance of the gender of the child, whether you have twins, or triplets, or even the child is born ill due to attempting to birth on your own.

Some of you will say its not needed here, or have said thus already, but there is a percentage of players who enjoy the aspect of having families and that story told therein. I would support it and that isn't the story I even play for. I simply believe in more realism and if I want to slum it and bang some elf from the alleys as a bard, I absolutely should run the risk of both a disease and the public scrutiny when and if I produce a breed.

So in summation, I am absolutely on the good ship of pregnancy/STD automation. I do not support necessarily forcing me as a player to experience a miscarriage or the death of a child or my PC in birth, not that it was suggested but I am laying that blanket out.

Post Script: We're adults. Let those of us who want babies to have baby objects with an oprog preventing eating.

Quote from: Tiktak on September 19, 2019, 06:55:31 PM
There are multiple RPIs at the moment with a system similar to what Bast is suggesting. For the purpose of example, I am going to reference Harshlands here. They have a very advanced and automated system towards intercourse and the after effects of said intercourse in terms of realism. You can bypass it by simply not accepting the programmed insemination, yes, but you can also immerse yourself into the realism of cause and effect. There are potions that boost fertility and there are teas that prevent pregnancy or abort said pregnancy. There is the risk of ensuring yourself sterile in the process. Some races have lower percentage of success rates in getting pregnant and there is a coded chance of the gender of the child, whether you have twins, or triplets, or even the child is born ill due to attempting to birth on your own.

Some of you will say its not needed here, or have said thus already, but there is a percentage of players who enjoy the aspect of having families and that story told therein. I would support it and that isn't the story I even play for. I simply believe in more realism and if I want to slum it and bang some elf from the alleys as a bard, I absolutely should run the risk of both a disease and the public scrutiny when and if I produce a breed.

So in summation, I am absolutely on the good ship of pregnancy/STD automation. I do not support necessarily forcing me as a player to experience a miscarriage or the death of a child or my PC in birth, not that it was suggested but I am laying that blanket out.

Post Script: We're adults. Let those of us who want babies to have baby objects with an oprog preventing eating.

There is always the option of just choosing to have an STD, half the fun of Zalanthas in my mind is playing out the things that go wrong and the things that affect your character.

I would have delved deeper into it on a PC that was lousy with things, but didn't get the chance to get to that point which was supremely disappointing because it was so much fun.

But, back on topic.

I support this as an idea if a staffer wants to spend their time organizing and coding it all. It would be a sizeable job though, need to code the diseases and then the triggers as well. Kudos to the guy who wants to do it. But I don't feel it entirely necessary to have.

I wrote up some random chance tables a few years ago that you could use for objective pregnancy and STI calculation.  They also include tables for magickal STIs.  Look for the part where is says "sleeps with someone" in red, and the disease tables at the bottom of the post.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Firstly, you writing an extensive list with a ton of ideas was fun and cool to read! You put a lot of thought and effort into this and I appreciate that as a member of this community!

Though, I am not for coded pregnancies. The person most effected by a pregnancy would be the woman, I would say. The code would be forced on only one side and to me that kinda leaves an odd shift in power dynamics between the genders. Something that is not existent in the world of Zalanthas. I'm a little odd with gender though, so maybe this is just me.

It's already that way, really. Just not backed by the code. Any way you play it, a woman has to carry the baby.

Like, I super am into automating and making pregnancy, birth, and like 'kanking' a little more realistic. Nothing hurts my brain more in like interaction than when people are like 'instant pregnant' or at like 3 weeks in magickally know they're expecting twins and stuff or like just so happen to have like twins to skate around or hurry up a contract and stuff.

I came to this game from another game where like ALL of the like act of baby-making is automated. You get together, the male runs 'inseminate <PC/NPC>' and like the other has to Accept. If you miss it, then you miss it. There's no point to just spamming it, it only counts 1x per IC day. The chance on getting with child is completely coded and like you can increase chances with certain objs in game and you can prevent pregnancy with other certain objs like mul mix that give a documented risk of like making you sterile. Some races have a harder chance to get pregnant and some race combos just wont work.

I absolutely think STD code is lit and already there's like code seeming in place for it especially with other diseases/effects from the world and activities. I think there should super be a code risk to kanking in that alley or like catching something from PC A who has been kanking Elf B and Breed M, N, P, and G so on.

I also would like there to be some baby objs. I feel like not having the objs means I like can't be trusted to not be OOC dumb. Like if I choose to have babies IG and I know the documented risks of like it being born sick if I have it in the desert by myself, or that if I engage in heavy combat I can lose the pregnancy, or that like if I leave the obj unattended in an apartment it can be stolen by an elf and like sold.

I like it Bast!

Based off this idea, I'd like if there were coded advantages to engaging in leisure activities to encourage PCs to carouse more.

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 19, 2019, 10:34:29 PM
Based off this idea, I'd like if there were coded advantages to engaging in leisure activities to encourage PCs to carouse more.

You make a baby? Genetics carry on? Like what are you expecting here?

Give me +wisdom for getting laid since I'm only thinking with my brain

So... we've talking about baby-making skill-gains again?

ride                      (master)

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 19, 2019, 11:14:45 PM
ride                      (master)

I've got an idea:

How about you take all that troll posting energy and do something constructive with it before you put me in a bad mood?
I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

If it's an optional parallel system for those players who want to use it then there'd be no reason not to have a system like this (if someone wants to code it).  To each their own. 

I don't want to force anyone to play pregnancy or miscarriage but if people wanted to use it as an optional tool I'd be okay with that.

When my last character that got pregnant was pregnant a staff did a small echo of her feeling her baby move and it was like the sweetest thing ever.  That was enough for me.

Sigh.

Support for this idea is annoying me so if you're not ready to hear about pregnancy reality, consider yourself warned.

Pregnancy symptoms:
Missed period - wtf is the request for a period code where it lasts a week and comes with its own set of symptoms? Oh? You don't want THAT, right? Cramps, bleeding on your clothes, clothes not fitting, diarrhea AND MORE!
Sore boobs - the entire pregnancy - sparring blows to the chest are gonna be grrreatttt.
Mood swings - random mini-mul rage. Cool.
Exhaustion - random chance of falling asleep.
Forgetfulness - stat decreases for the length of the pregnancy, maybe you forget to use the way.
Gas and bloating - I better see some hemoted farts and atinky echoes when a pregnant pc is around.
Increased hunger - speed that code up.
Cravings - hunger code doesn't go away unless you eat what you're craving.
Nausea and vomiting - random puking better be present.
Constipation - (wait for it)
Frequent Urination - wtf is THAT code?

Who here roleplays urination and defecation every ic day?

Not one of us.

Pregnancy is more than a flutter in your belly that brings you joy.

And there are more symptoms. The above are the "normal" ones.

Picking and choosing to codedly enhance a character's pregnancy "for realism" without adding all the bodily functions that go hand in hand "for realism" would be messed up. 

Btw, I've been pregnant irl and IG and I'm much more against a half assed quasi realistic pregnancy code than against pregnancy code itself.

This is a role playing game. 
You want more realism? Let it be a conscious decision to be a better, more realistic pregnant person. Roleplay it.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

What?

No.

No thank you.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."