Who started Arm MUD and are any founders still around?

Started by Sidathe Silverdawn, August 28, 2019, 05:50:43 PM

Who started the Armageddon MUD and are any of those people still around from when it was founded?

If not, is there anyone who knows of them and interacted with them?

Is the world significantly different from when they started it?

I found this from Nauta, a year or so ago.

I don't know how much of it is verified.

Nauta's History of ArmageddonMUD
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

I believe the original team (beyond the creators of DIKU muds themselves) was:

Jhalavar, Nessalin, Azroen, Ur, and Kelvik. Or close to it. There was Becklee, Shala and Sting in there somewhere as well, but I never met them. Bram was an early Overlord (called Administrators now).

Jhalavar left early on, but was the key figure originally (the one who got it all rolling). I think. To his credit, he was only thirteen years old, and still managed to patch his own programming language (DMPL) in.

Tenebrius has been around a long time. I don't know whether he's active anymore.

Nessalin is the only active founder now.

It was founded in 1991 by Dan B. in Illinois. Dan still peeks his head in once and awhile but the last time that I talked to him (about five years ago) he hasn't played but he did have a "legend" character. Some people claim that he started it for a school project, which is false. He basically played a lot of MUDs and knew some c and wanted to make a better mud so he started modifying dikumud source. Shortly after he enlisted some volunteers to help him out. Two of the first volunteers were Nasri and Santiago.

Tiernan and Ness have likely been around the longest. Sanvean made a large impact on the direction of the game as well but, as far as I know, she hasn't played in a long time. She is a rather successful author and all around neat chick.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

I would like to hear more about the highest ever players online. 170+?????   Wow! What would that do to the game with all of those on at once. Would that slow things? Why are we still not that high?  The most I have seen on was 56.

And what about this:
5/15/12   Arm 2.0 Officially Cancelled

What would Arm 2.0 look like? Same world just different code?

Quote from: Sidathe Silverdawn on August 29, 2019, 03:51:20 PM
I would like to hear more about the highest ever players online. 170+?????   Wow! What would that do to the game with all of those on at once. Would that slow things? Why are we still not that high?  The most I have seen on was 56.

And what about this:

It was meant to be an entirely new game, taking place many years in the future (or the past?) with lots of new code. They had a separate team handling that at the time. It was divisive to say the least.

With Tuluk closing, we're already halfway there. I honestly wouldn't mind 2.0 at this point, heh.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Sidathe Silverdawn on August 29, 2019, 03:51:20 PM

And what about this:

170+ was during an HRPT, if I remember right. Typically we hover around 170 - 220 active players at any given time, but playtimes are spread out.

An HRPT involves world-changing activities and often has people staying logged in for a period of time just to experience it.

Arm 2.0 was a project to be set far in Arm's future and involved a lot of different mechanics, its own coding, and a whole slew of different storylines including rideable PC mounts, cat people, a town where HEIGHT means something, and "water farms" where people can basically forage for water in muddy flats and sell it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

It's worth noting that some of the ideas from Arm 2 were backported to Arm. Most notably, Allanak didn't used to have nearly as many roof-tops or climbable surfaces. And the idea of elementalists being subclasses rather than full classes was an Arm2 thing. Not 100% sure, but I think the idea of the Touched was originally going to be an Arm2 feature as well.

I believe there were 70 something on the other night.  Regularly over 50.  Much better numbers than what I remember seeing for many years.  Having played for 25 years off and on, I think things are great.

Quote from: Olafson on August 29, 2019, 08:32:38 PM
I believe there were 70 something on the other night.  Regularly over 50.  Much better numbers than what I remember seeing for many years.  Having played for 25 years off and on, I think things are great.

That would have been during the PBRPT?

Highest on at the same time during this HRPT was 84. Love those numbers lately.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

How close to the beginning did Morgenes come on board? I thought he was one of the founders.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Heade on September 03, 2019, 08:45:46 AM
How close to the beginning did Morgenes come on board? I thought he was one of the founders.

I always thought that Morgenes was less of a "founder" and more "was an original coder on the DIKU project and as such was drawn to the code-base changes on Armageddon".

Quote from: Riev on September 03, 2019, 10:04:37 AM
Quote from: Heade on September 03, 2019, 08:45:46 AM

I always thought that Morgenes was less of a "founder" and more "was an original coder on the DIKU project and as such was drawn to the code-base changes on Armageddon".

Unless Morgenes is from Denmark I highly doubt he worked on DIKU. It was developed at a CS department in Denmark and you can find the 5 coders in all diku muds licenses.

Its possible I conflated "Morgenes" with Michael Seifert.

Quote from: Riev on September 03, 2019, 02:41:54 PM
Its possible I conflated "Morgenes" with Michael Seifert.

How dare you.
The human vagabond steps forward, blocking a filthy grey rat from the curtain.
The human vagabond says, in sirihish:
     "You're not allowed in there."