In a city full of hungry or even starving people..

Started by Eyeball, August 27, 2019, 03:51:40 PM

why can't PCs sell food to anyone but a grocer who is always overstocked? (Or other, extremely suspicious PCs).

There should be a lot of people willing to purchase a scrab steak or some grilled ribs for a few coins. Before people start trotting out the poison issue, remember there are Allanaki who beg for water, which is about the same thing.

Admittedly, I was wondering why there isn't a "food shelter" that pays 1-2 coins for every raw food item, and 5 coins for any cooked item, just to be a place to dump and generate coins.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on August 27, 2019, 04:12:04 PM
Admittedly, I was wondering why there isn't a "food shelter" that pays 1-2 coins for every raw food item, and 5 coins for any cooked item, just to be a place to dump and generate coins.

Agreed. Every noble and merchant house could have a depository. Afterall, they all have cooks, and those cooks have to get their raw materials from somewhere. The different houses would accept raw goods based on what they serve in their kitchens to their employees.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Food items are ridiculously easy to find in a "harsh" desert world where water and food are supposed to be exceedingly scarce.

There's no reason to further reward 'gritty' hunters who can easily come back with bags and bags and bags filled with skinned body parts. The actual in-game economy is already very poor at representing the harshness of the setting. Twisting the dial further towards easy 'sid and rewarding what should be unsustainable hunting practices is the wrong direction to take things.

We fall back on the initial 5-per issue. Shops will only accept 5 of each, of whatever they buy. If there are 5 hunters, and each bags 2 critters, and each critter yields 2 pieces of the same meat, 1 hide, 1 blue organ, 1 red organ, and 1 pile of bones, then 2 of those hunters will be able to unload everything except the meat. One of the hunters will be able to unload everything. The other three hunters will be stuck with stuff in their bags until the NPCs unload something, which could take days. That's days of absolutely zero IC reason to hunt, since they are already weighed down with stuff from the last 2 critters they killed.

Meat in particular is a big problem, because it rots. No one wants to go hunting to support themselves, and end up with so much meat that they can't sell, that it rots before they have a chance to eat it.

But Borsail acquires meat, it has a fully stocked kitchen in its estate, and its cook makes food for the staff, the gladiators, the nobles. Fale's kitchens are more modest because they rely on Kadius's kitchens to produce the food for their lavish parties. Oash, Tor, even the Tzai Byn has edibles.  But the ingredients for all these foodstuffs are brought to them virtually, by VNPCs and turned into coded goods for PCs to eat.

It seems like a great opportunity to turn at least some of the virtual background work into coded PC activity, with the opportunity to unload some of that stuff before it rots, and get at least *something* for the trouble of hauling it back to the city.

Riev's suggestion was 1 or 2 sids each for raw food, 5 sids for any cooked food. Anything that is "slightly spoiled" could easily be turned into stew and consumed, so any GMH or Noble house that serves stew, should be interested in snatching that up on the cheap.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Especially considering that:

• A full bag of hunted and skinned food wouldn't bring in more than a pittance. 1-5 coins per item might bring in a small.
  • As Lizzie said, raw and simple-cooked foodstuffs are still only sold at 5x per
  • The hunter can't control how much meat they actually skin, and even my non-hunters have had too much scrab meat on accident.
  • It could be like a salt-seller, where as long as the foodstuff bag contains only food, it can just be 'sold' to an NPC.
  • You can be seen as patriotic and 'good' by providing food for a city that is always hungry.

Idea: Randomly, on turn ins, provide Noble House Tokens of Favor. If Borsail is the House accepting food, provide Tokens of Favor that you can use as an RP prop/etc with current Borsail nobility. Its 'proof' of your efforts and ability.

Quote from: Riev on August 28, 2019, 09:44:45 AM
Idea: Randomly, on turn ins, provide Noble House Tokens of Favor. If Borsail is the House accepting food, provide Tokens of Favor that you can use as an RP prop/etc with current Borsail nobility. Its 'proof' of your efforts and ability.

I like this idea. Sort of like Globbuluk and his soapstone coins. You could 'spend' them for some defined, specific favor(s).

Quote from: number13 on August 28, 2019, 07:19:14 AM
There's no reason to further reward 'gritty' hunters who can easily come back with bags and bags and bags filled with skinned body parts.

No one is going to get rich on 1-2 coins per piece of meat.

I think it'd be neat to have foods give coded bonuses and penalties. Not overly significant, but definitely noticeable. Kinda like really weak spice.

If we could, perhaps have food give bonuses over a lengthy period of time.

Oh, you have eaten a stupid amount of protein the last month? Well, enjoy your extra, singular point of strength.

Had a fuck ton of carbohydrates? Enjoy your buffed , single point of endurance from being full of energy.

cool ideas but not on topic with the thread

In a world...where everyone is hungry...one man controls all the meat...but this summer...he'll have to defend his empire.

*cue meat montage*

Beat My Meat...in theatres this labor day.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: Eyeball on August 28, 2019, 04:20:42 PM
Quote from: Riev on August 28, 2019, 09:44:45 AM

I like this idea. Sort of like Globbuluk and his soapstone coins. You could 'spend' them for some defined, specific favor(s).

My thought was like... something Arena/Gladiator based. Small photos/canvasses of your favorite gladiators to hang in your room. Fancier food made because of people's "donations" (flame cheese tembo, anyone?)

Quote from: MeTekillot on August 28, 2019, 05:17:57 PM
I think it'd be neat to have foods give coded bonuses and penalties. Not overly significant, but definitely noticeable. Kinda like really weak spice.

Interesting, especially in the south where silt deposits are more common. It would reflect perhaps the effects of silt on the land or its influence. As well maybe have the effect dominant when eaten raw rather than if the food stuff is cooked. Maybe once cooked it nullifies the effects.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.