Alcohol benefits

Started by MeTekillot, August 24, 2019, 10:32:45 AM

Remember folks, don't puke on Lord Fancy Pants' floor!

Eh, that's what servants are for.

I just want to throw my support toward altering the alcohol code. It's been like that since as far back as I can remember and I think it could definitely use my tweaking. All of the ideas thus far have been good.

I think we should keep the performance enhancing drugs in their category and the fun rp juice in its category.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Drunk falling code made me stop getting drunk ever. It is awful.

While I have been falling down drunk similar to drunk code ig, I believe overall it should be toned down.

What Gotdamnmiracle said though.

To those that avoid drinking to avoid falling down, remember tea.

September 03, 2019, 04:00:19 PM #32 Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:11:55 PM by gotdamnmiracle
Quote from: Brokkr on September 03, 2019, 11:57:18 AM
To those that avoid drinking to avoid falling down, remember tea.

I'm worried I'm misreading this. Are you implying tea will sober you up (or at least reduce the most annoying effects of alcohol) or just that tea is another acceptable rp beverage?

On that note I DO wish stimulants had a larger role in coded mechanics but with no requred sleep code all I can think of is a (very mild or slow) regen for stamina that doesn't require you to be sitting/resting/sleeping. While under the effects maybe you get thirsty more quickly to simulate the diuretic effects of the drink, though certain studies say that it doesn't have dehydrating qualities so maybe just make it a (relatively) null value for drinking similar to booze ig. I worry though that will too become a combat drug when it should more closely mirror a utility item like a piece of gear that gives you flat stam, though that'd just be an already present effect in game. I like the idea though of guzzling a skin of watchman tea because you know it's gonna be a long day and you have to be up and moving the whole time.

Apologies if this is too far off topic.

I've been told IG hundreds of times to drink tea to sober up. Which is absolutely stupid, tea 100% does not sober you up when you have drank an entire bottle of whiskey.

Quote from: Hauwke on September 03, 2019, 05:00:24 PM
I've been told IG hundreds of times to drink tea to sober up. Which is absolutely stupid, tea 100% does not sober you up when you have drank an entire bottle of whiskey.

I agree. It seems kinda depressing that tea is rendered essentially useless by this. If no one likes getting knock out drunk they aren't drinking tea either.

Quote from: Vanth on March 12, 2009, 11:27:14 PM
This code has also been used to make teapots, which you can buy from potters in Allanak and Tuluk.  Teapots can currently be used to brew 5 varieties of herbal tea: spiceweed tea, blackstem tea, dwarfflower tea, greenmantle tea, and kanjel tea.

Each of these teas are helpful in sobering up if you've had too much booze to drink.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,34715.msg432917.html#msg432917

I just don't understand why tea would sober you up. It's tea, not some magical blood alcohol remover

Yes it is! Cuz these plants are special and that's what the tea was designed to do!
Quit bringing your RL thinking brain into my fantasy world man!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

Quote from: JohnMichaelHenry on September 03, 2019, 11:58:39 PM
Yes it is! Cuz these plants are special and that's what the tea was designed to do!
Quit bringing your RL thinking brain into my fantasy world man!

Tea can help you sober up in a pinch similar to like coffee.

It's not the sobering effect that bothers me. It's the fact it's tea!

Like, maybe it could be some weird beverage that Vennant sells, made of chalton piss and half-giant vinegar.

The lengths some of you go to for that grimdark experience.

Nobody's stopping you from putting chalton piss in your tea.

Tea and coffee are both extremely thematic to desert environments and the weird pseudo-OOC pushback against it is 100% because there was a popular tea house in Poet's Circle. People forget that it's been sold by Vennant and in other locations for literally RL decades.

I'll have you know Vennant has been selling chalton piss for ages. He calls it whiskey.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: Delirium on September 04, 2019, 07:33:32 AM
The lengths some of you go to for that grimdark experience.

Nobody's stopping you from putting chalton piss in your tea.

Tea and coffee are both extremely thematic to desert environments and the weird pseudo-OOC pushback against it is 100% because there was a popular tea house in Poet's Circle. People forget that it's been sold by Vennant and in other locations for literally RL decades.

Lol what? This must be sarcasm. No I think we're just having trouble drawing IRL parallels. It's one of those realism VS mechanics arguments, but the problem I see is that if no one is getting drunk anyway because the code sucks no one is drinking tea. I always just figured it was an rp item with a different return than water but codedly the same.

In my experience getting heavily drunk regularly also seems to make you more and more resistant to getting drunk from lesser brews, so not taking the risk of getting floor-stumbling drunk in the first place makes your characters actually less capable of handling those few light ales. Makes almost all lesser brews like flavour items unless you drink a really excessive amount of them. You can really see it in drink-offs too, people drinking Vennant's best like water.

Quote from: Hauwke on September 04, 2019, 01:06:55 AM
Like, maybe it could be some weird beverage that Vennant sells, made of chalton piss and half-giant vinegar.

Louder for those in the back: Vennant sells tea. :P