One-room builders

Started by Eyeball, August 16, 2019, 11:24:05 PM

August 16, 2019, 11:24:05 PM Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:25:53 PM by Eyeball
A command to allow staff to grant desc-modification privileges to non-staff that are active for a single room.

For example, a player could submit a request to make a modification to a room description. Instead of having to make the change themselves, the staff could just grant desc-mod privileges to that player for that one room and reply "go ahead". The player closes the request when ready, saying "done", and the staff can review the change if they feel like it.

I'm pretty sure most players can be trusted not to impishly turn the room's desc into "you are falling in the endless abyss of fiery doom!" or such.

You can modify the general feel of a room with drop descriptions of items. It's limited so it requires some extra thought and careful wording, but it can be done. Basically:

>The Generic Room
This room has four walls and a floor. It is spacious to hold lots of clutter
and the ceiling has a pull-out shelving system near the big barn door. There
are no windows but there's a pretty mural of an elf giving a bouquet of posies
to a curvy dwarven woman, who is blushing shyly. A closet nests in a corner.
Scorchmarks from a stone firepit cover and utterly deface the mural.
A window is drawn on a piece of grey parchment and tacked to the wall.
The closet door hangs off its hinges from a pile of agafari logs straining within it.
Hanging from a noose in the middle of the ceiling, a stuffed gwoshi adds a
touch of macabre whimsy.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Inquisition Legacy RPI has a system where you "change mood" in the room and append a tdesc to the room. It's a game with RPXP and you're actually rewarded for it, and players tend to quality control the descriptions themselves.

Not sure it would work for Armageddon, unless it were tied to Karma somehow.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Room moods on TI:L are actually usually a pretty awesome resource. Leaving traces of evidence that something happened there, or having a descriptor so anyone coming in knows what's the focus of the room, was great for RP.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Being able to add a room tdesc would be super cool, especially if it expired after an IC day or so.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Room T-desc would be cool and could be something you can remove (Like certain other flags, I think 'wish' can be turned off as well as other things?) if people misuse it.
Being able to go
"A helping of dried blood sits in a corner of the room"

Is funner than

"A rock sits here, next to a pile of blood in the corner" because you had to find a rock to desc up to portray what you wanted to do.

And maybe let the T-Desc override others (I guess there could be one per room? More? Idk) so you could emote 'Cleans up the pile of blood' (It should prob take some water + rag realistically and more than just a single emote but you know what I mean)
Then just remove the T-Desc yourself.
And if people just walk around removing T-descs without RP...you could also remove that.

I like the tdesc idea. Nobody should be editing the general room descriptions besides staff. However with tdesc I would add caveats such as it only being in certain rooms ie: apartments, clan compounds and the like. Overall I don't think there should be a lot of rooms being changed in the game. It would be cool if there was a staff member responsible for overall game world editing for things such as weather erosion, certain paths that would be obvious due to massive amounts of traffic on them (the trade route east of 'Nak comes to mind). These are just some things that would have happened in the game but are not reflected in the room descriptions which should, but is so minor it might not warrant a change.

Indoor rooms and what not could be the requirement. If you try to do it outside you could get a 'The area is too vast for such a small change to matter' or something

I wouldn't mind being able to tdesc any room.  Though maybe how long a tdesc modification to an outdoor room would last could depend on the weather.  It could be cool to have a tdesc that someone had recently set up a campfire there, or that there was evidence someone had been scraping for rocks or sifting silt, or that trees had been cut down.

What's the difference between a temporary description to your main description...

And arranging an item that you dropped in a room?

Is it basically it saves the text over a crash?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on August 18, 2019, 11:33:24 AM
What's the difference between a temporary description to your main description...

It's that it's sometimes awkward and limited.

Someone gave an excellent example above, want to describe a Blood pool? Well, you need a rock to do that. Or any other item really. It will also come out a little weird, because the rock has to be part of it.

A rock sits, being a rock, in an expansive pool of blood.

With a tdesc for the room? You don't need a rock.

In the center of the room sits an expansive blood pool, awesome and bloody.

Quote from: mansa on August 18, 2019, 11:33:24 AM

Frankly, a tdesc that expires would avoid the problem of things with drop descriptions in save rooms never disappearing.  Like that crib with a baby inside that apparently had been living alone for ??? that I found once.

Search could find outdoor tdescs. Maybe hidden tdescs.
"I stalk the shadows, I am the one who wears that friendly face. Behind your every move, there is nothing you can do. Pride yourself in the fact that you do not already rot and bake. Be prepared, I am always watching." - Allanaki Assassin