Signatures

Started by Magnate, August 06, 2019, 06:44:53 PM

Being able to sign a scroll would be pretty neat.
An easy way to copy a scroll would also be cool and help QOL as well.

>Look scroll
This is a thing.
It has two pages.
It is filled with writing.
It has has signatures.

>read scroll
Some words and stuff.

>Look signatures
This has been signed by:
Player 1
Player 2

>sign scroll
[Enter your signature]
Player 3

>Look signatures
This has been signed by:
Player 1
Player 2
Player 3

In the meantime, you can save the second "page" of the scroll for signatures, once they've been added through emotes.

That'd be cool. Maybe a command "signature" if you have RW Language, that takes you into a TDesc prompt, or even just Signature Soandso Bhutts, House Derp, Agent. Or a way of automated parsing of your name, House, and current rank.

The automation might be tricky though as most ranks have some horizontal titles as well.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

I think using emotes and just having the original author write them all out when done is probably fine.  Not that it's a bad idea, just that it probably wouldn't get used enough to warrant the coding time.

The ability to seal scrolls with your signet ring is still a pretty neat feature, to my mind.  More would just be gravy.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

To me, it's just about limited writing space. A 'good' scroll has 2 pages, some only have 1. It'd be cool to have some flourish emote, and just sign a scroll.

My only hang up is the 'how' of a signature. Some people might just sign their name, others might add all their titles and horizontal positions. So to me, the best would be:

signature Soandso Borsail, Lady Dominatrix [blocky, with curves to the vowels[

It'd just be tagged on at the end of the scroll/book/page no matter the length.

So you could 'sign book page 12' and it would appear at the bottom for journals.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

August 07, 2019, 10:54:06 AM #5 Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:59:35 AM by Lizzie
All sponsored roles that have R/W, or characters who learn to write through gameplay, would need to create a signature. It would be part of their pfile and would have the same limited text that an ldesc has.

it'd need to be a limited appendable "extra" description.

The scroll/book would be the sealed (or unsealed) scroll/book of green dustiness..
page 1 - has a page of text
page 2 - has a page of tex
page 3, 4, 5, all text, maybe a nice paragraph describing a drawing or a map or ascii drawing of a stick-figure gith or whatever.

When you're done, you hit the ~ button to finish it, and @scrollsave scroll to save it permanently.

And THEN

you give it to Lady Buxom, who:

@scrollsig scroll

if someone doesn't have read/write in any language they'd just see "an indistinguishable mark is at the bottom of the scroll."

The non-reader would know it's a signature but wouldn't be able to tell whose it is, since they don't recognize the alphabet well enough to know what it says.

The person who -can- read it, would see:

The loopy neatly-penned signature of Lady Buxom appears at the bottom of the scroll.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

But if you give it to an illiterate artist, upside down, they could recreate the signature!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.