Quit store

Started by MeTekillot, July 10, 2019, 05:58:28 AM

An option to quit out with the added benefit that your character will be stored if you do not login within the next 24 hours of using the 'quit store' command.

July 10, 2019, 09:21:21 AM #1 Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:23:58 AM by triste
Quote from: MeTekillot on July 10, 2019, 05:58:28 AM
An option to quit out with the added benefit that your character will be stored if you do not login within the next 24 hours of using the 'quit store' command.

.... Nah can't get behind this one.
- I think Imms and storytellers purposefully handle storage requests so that people won't abuse it (EG storing because of a bad stat roll, storing an important role suddenly, storing to avoid IG ramifications for an action best resolved IG).
- Seems like this would only enable said bad reasons for storing above. Some players who get in trouble for suiciding characters with with bad stat rolls too quickly will now have a mechanism for storing/rerolling too quickly.
- Even for people who store for "good reasons," storing is a serious thing and I can see people using this, regretting it (like me every time I store lol), and then asking for it to be undone which is a whole other headache. Fine to keep a barrier to doing this, EG requiring a request, in the end it adds a difference of only a day or two.

Still open to listening to any justification for this but I think it is a hard no go because of the first bullet point above.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

I've had characters that I stored due to boredom/frustration, that a month later I keep thinking "Yeah but how would Suradin have done it? He had so much potential".

If I was the one in control, and I just quit store and go on vacation? I'd be real angry with myself.

I can't get behind this.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: triste on July 10, 2019, 09:21:21 AM
- I think Imms and storytellers purposefully handle storage requests so that people won't abuse it (EG storing because of a bad stat roll, storing an important role suddenly, storing to avoid IG ramifications for an action best resolved IG).

This would be an obvious karma hit if you just stored a sponsored role without saying anything.  You can suicide to avoid a bad stat roll still, and nothing prevents that.  Quit store is the 'oh no look what happened' suicide without the bullshit. 

- Seems like this would only enable said bad reasons for storing above. Some players who get in trouble for suiciding characters with with bad stat rolls too quickly will now have a mechanism for storing/rerolling too quickly.

This would let them decide to leave, and not leave a geared up corpse in the game world.  It would also be waaaay easier to track.

- Even for people who store for "good reasons," storing is a serious thing and I can see people using this, regretting it (like me every time I store lol), and then asking for it to be undone which is a whole other headache. Fine to keep a barrier to doing this, EG requiring a request, in the end it adds a difference of only a day or two.

It has a 24 hour cooldown timer already, per the initial idea.  But I don't think I've ever regretted storing enough to ask for a character to be unstored, so I also don't really understand this sentiment.

Quote from: maxid on July 10, 2019, 11:42:01 AM

This would be an obvious karma hit if you just stored a sponsored role without saying anything.  You can suicide to avoid a bad stat roll still, and nothing prevents that.  Quit store is the 'oh no look what happened' suicide without the bullshit. 

This would let them decide to leave, and not leave a geared up corpse in the game world.  It would also be waaaay easier to track.

It has a 24 hour cooldown timer already, per the initial idea.  But I don't think I've ever regretted storing enough to ask for a character to be unstored, so I also don't really understand this sentiment.

Tried to look for your arguments in favor while you refuted my points and all you suggest is "people will suicide for better stats anyway" which is a pro powergaming, anti roleplay sentiment. Sorry, that is not what this game is about, not going to fly, and I have zero sympathy for that. Here is a novel idea: if you get bad stats, roleplay it out because this is a Roleplay Intensive mud and not hack and slash. Other novel idea: submit a storage request and man up / own up that you are doing it just because of a stats. You basically just proved my point that all this would be is a feature for power gamers to abuse.
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

July 10, 2019, 01:58:30 PM #5 Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:05:44 PM by Heade
I don't see a problem with the current storage system. I'd rather not make it easier for people to store out of frustration, as that might lead to more requests to unstore characters as well. "Quit store" is a really easy thing to type when you're frustrated in the heat of the moment. It's not too difficult to send in a storage request, and those particular requests typically get handled fairly quickly.

I think that just the act of having to type out an explanation as to why you want to store is a good way to keep people from storing out of momentary frustration that they may later regret, and this option doesn't really make it a whole lot quicker to store. I mean, you might be saving yourself what, 2 minutes? That 2 minutes isn't worth the potential downsides, in my opinion. Character storage of characters that are involved in plots creates holes in stories and is undesirable for the rest of the playerbase. We shouldn't be seeking to make it easier to do.

EDIT: Personally, I'd prefer that people seeking to stop playing a character get an ending to that character that drives story, rather than leaving a gaping hole in a plot where they just disappear forever. If a character gets stale or is not enjoyable, I'd support a request of some sort that gets said character involved in a plot that will likely end their life. That way, there is at least something left for other players to investigate or whatever. Something that creates content rather than destroying it. #RequestEnd

It would give staff a target for developing potentially lethal plots that wouldn't get people butthurt about their PC being killed by Staff plot, and might make that stale character a bit more exciting to play in the last bit of their life.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Heade on July 10, 2019, 01:58:30 PM
... If a character gets stale or is not enjoyable, I'd support a request of some sort that gets said character involved in a plot that will likely end their life. That way, there is at least something left for other players to investigate or whatever. Something that creates content rather than destroying it. #RequestEnd

It would give staff a target for developing potentially lethal plots that wouldn't get people butthurt about their PC being killed by Staff plot, and might make that stale character a bit more exciting to play in the last bit of their life.

I would not support this idea. In the event that I find a character so unappealing that I want to store it, I don't want to continue playing it. Period. I would not enjoy having to request to be pulled into some kind of plotline to drag an unappealing character out further until it dies and I can move on. I'd rather keep the system the way it is.

I can see too much trouble coming from this, like a player storing to not 'see' the end of a situation. I suppose they can just log off - but in general staff is better having the moderation on these.

Quote from: triste on July 10, 2019, 01:00:09 PM
Tried to look for your arguments in favor while you refuted my points and all you suggest is "people will suicide for better stats anyway" which is a pro powergaming, anti roleplay sentiment. Sorry, that is not what this game is about, not going to fly, and I have zero sympathy for that. Here is a novel idea: if you get bad stats, roleplay it out because this is a Roleplay Intensive mud and not hack and slash. Other novel idea: submit a storage request and man up / own up that you are doing it just because of a stats. You basically just proved my point that all this would be is a feature for power gamers to abuse.

I think you misunderstood.  I was pointing out that your reasoning didn't make any sense, as the ability to get rid of a character quickly already exists.  I don't need an awkward lecture on roleplaying in an RPI, I play bad stat chars as much as I do good stat ones.  The feature already exists.  This allows staff to keep better track of it.  It's an accountability feature.

I think I only stored once.  It didn't have anything to do with my stats.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

What about the idea that:

Storage is an OOC option
You should go through OOC means to remove your character from the game

This option is an IC command that causes an OOC action to occur.

Thoughts?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Alesan on July 10, 2019, 03:06:35 PM
... If a character gets stale or is not enjoyable, I'd support a request of some sort that gets said character involved in a plot that will likely end their life. That way, there is at least something left for other players to investigate or whatever. Something that creates content rather than destroying it. #RequestEnd

I would not support this idea. In the event that I find a character so unappealing that I want to store it, I don't want to continue playing it. Period. I would not enjoy having to request to be pulled into some kind of plotline to drag an unappealing character out further until it dies and I can move on. I'd rather keep the system the way it is.

I wasn't suggesting that we get rid of storage completely. I was suggesting that we provide an alternative option to storage for players who had grown tired of a character but were interested enough in other people's enjoyment of the game to attempt to give their own character/story some closure for the others who it might affect.

If that alternate option was available, nothing would prevent you from using the existing option to store your character instead.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

July 10, 2019, 04:54:43 PM #12 Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:04:12 PM by Medena
I don't really understand the purpose of this.  At first glance I thought it was aimed at expediting the storage but it would not do that.  If you "store quit"  you still have to wait out the 24 hour cool down period and then wait out however long it takes for someone on staff to be able to get to it.  If you log out and put in a storage request the chances are the request will be handled in about the same amount of time as that and, in some cases, a good deal less.

If the purpose is to circumvent the request process, I don't really get that either.  It doesn't take much effort to put in a request and, in my experience, staff do not question your reasons for storing.  I am the queen of storing (11 of 18 PCs have been stored***) and have never had a problem.  Naturally, if it is a sponsored role or some other kind of special role that staff have in some way invested in then you have a duty to see that plots, projects, etc are wound up or at least reported on.

*** In case this sounds like I toss PCs aside on a whim, my characters are usually played for a long time, between 6 months to 2 years of RL time.
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: Heade on July 10, 2019, 04:42:20 PM
Quote from: Alesan on July 10, 2019, 03:06:35 PM

I wasn't suggesting that we get rid of storage completely. I was suggesting that we provide an alternative option to storage for players who had grown tired of a character but were interested enough in other people's enjoyment of the game to attempt to give their own character/story some closure for the others who it might affect.

If that alternate option was available, nothing would prevent you from using the existing option to store your character instead.

I guess I missed that part, my bad.

I don't support: Quit storage (for pretty much the same reasons as already stated)

I was under the impression if someone requested a staff-assisted, plot-driven death (and circumstances support that) it would be considered under the current storage mechanic. No change needed.

If something about a character isn't fun [anymore], I try to ask what I can do to make it fun [again] and for me that usually means more risk and conflict, which themselves tend to lead towards resolution of the issue one way or :mantishead:

I'm indifferent.  There are plenty of quick ways to get yourself killed without suicide.  I just decided I want to become a mekillot biologist.  I am really curious about their mating habits and what their dens look like.   My current employer doesn't like the idea, but I can't think about anything else.

Don't like something the Templarate did?  Go ahead and voice your opinion to them.  I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

I've never been outdoors before, but I want to head out west like a cowboy.

Now the point of doing these things is not to die, but to make your character eccentrically flawed.  You might even survive and start liking your character again.   

Maybe the Templar spares you, but holds it over your head, maybe you learn something you didn't know about Mekillot's, or a spider befriends you....the possibilities are endless.  More likely you're gonna see the Mantis head, but one can dream.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

What's the problem we're trying to solve here?

The length of time between submitting a request and having that request fulfilled?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on July 10, 2019, 07:32:38 PM

The length of time between submitting a request and having that request fulfilled?

The best way to self store is to walk outside of Nak's gates and queue south 30+ times.

My guess would be the problems attempting to be solved are:

• Required mandatory staff interaction to store a character
  • Reducing suicide as a solution to switch PCs
  • Sometimes a week or more delay before storage is completed

I don't have a scrab on this dune, though.

The idea is for convenience's sake.

Quote from: Nameless Face on July 10, 2019, 09:06:46 PM

My guess would be the problems attempting to be solved are:

• Required mandatory staff interaction to store a character
  • Reducing suicide as a solution to switch PCs
  • Sometimes a week or more delay before storage is completed

I don't have a scrab on this dune, though.

These are the benefits I see.  There's no reason staff has to get involved if you're ready to store a character, so long as you aren't important/sponsored.  It's a waste of time and it encourages powergaming/bad play by encouraging suicide to get it done quicker.

I'm a believer in trusting players not to be shady, but allowing people the option to store themselves isn't something I've seen in RPI MUDs/non consent MUSHes/etc for the sole fact that it has the incredible opportunity to be used negatively for role play and doesn't offer any real positives to the player base that outweigh the negative uses. It'd be convenient for me to have the option to quit despite a combat timer, any time I wanted to, but there's already another way to do this that's staff moderated (quit ooc) and letting me quit whenever I want opens up a really easy avenue of abuse without addressing any actual problem. Same idea here.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

It seems it would prevent communication to the storytellers of the ongoing plots that you had, and any other reasons why you've lost interest in the role.

Like a negative communication aspect to it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Not something I'll ever be in support of. It takes away communication between staff and players, and choosing to take a character that could have plot attachments should be something you have to go through with staff, especially in leader or sponsored roles with high impact.

The current process takes no time if you weren't trying to be a douchenozzle and ditch out on plots you stirred up or participated in. And if you were trying to be a douchenozzle and get out of something by storage, you deserve to be held accountable for that.

Lots of players also change their minds about a storage while the request is being processed. Having this in place would result in a lot of unwanted storages because someone decided to log on over-emotional and dump their PC cause they're stressed/high/drunk. Currently you have a bit of time to sober up and figure out you were being an idiot.

Not for it, never will be for it. I like how things work now.
You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy. - Nightbirde

Less abrasive language please, Katima.