Author Topic: Color or Flavor Roles  (Read 192 times)

dravage

Color or Flavor Roles
« on: July 08, 2019, 07:06:03 AM »
Trawling the GDB recently, I found it interesting to pick great advice out of several threads from people who were making new characters based on filling gaps in the game world, generating plots for others, or playing roles that generally stand to mix things up. I'm curious if we could put together a list of ideas here that people have from their own experience, or that they've taken from elsewhere on the GDB. For instance:

An easily corruptible character. An AoD Recruit, or a corruptible Aide. Generates inter-city political storylines.
Someone with a strong and clear goal - no matter what it is - is able to rally people to their side in pursuit of their ambitions.
A spy. Someone who sells information to people, or works for a Noble House.
A raider, trying to build his own crew. Generates plots for Byn or AoD types to chase down.

Do you have any advice for people wanting to play similar roles?
Which roles have you played that are great at creating conflict?
What is your interpretation of these terms, and what do you consider to be typical "flavor roles"?

Lizzie

Re: Color or Flavor Roles
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:57:46 AM »
All of those things rely on other people cooperating with your character's plotline. You can't be an AoD recruit, for example, if the Sergeant doesn't hire you. You can't be a raider if the already-existing raider crew kills your raider for stepping in their turf. You can't be a spy if you can't find a) people to spy ON, or b) people to spy FOR.

I wouldn't pigeonhole myself into a non-sponsored role. Have a general idea of what you'd like to see your character involved in, but be flexible and accept that your character might end up doing something completely different from how you envisioned him.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

cnemus

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »
Do you have any advice for people wanting to play similar roles?
Which roles have you played that are great at creating conflict?
What is your interpretation of these terms, and what do you consider to be typical "flavor roles"?

Advice:
1. Have Fun! Make sure you pick a role that you will enjoy. The more fun YOU have with it the easier it will be to engage others in the direction you want.
2. Consider the character's origin. If you have a direction you want to go, great! Just make sure that it is based in experiences that character has had, react to the setting in appropriate IC ways.
3. Collaborate with staff. Document the characters motivations in background, biography, and character reports. The more staff know about where you're coming from and wanting to go the more they can engage with you and the players around you.
4. (As Lizzie said) Be flexible. React to the IG circumstances as you believe this character would, even if that does mean going in a new direction.
5. Don't be afraid to fail. We all have different parts of the game we enjoy, there is nothing wrong with that, pursue your goals, but bitter defeat is an opportunity to pursue revenge, try again, change your mind, do something new... look for the opportunity in every situation, even if it wasn't the one you thought you wanted.

Good conflict creators:
1. Have opinions and express them.
2. Pick sides and then betray them.
3. Create opportunities for others to engage with outcomes. a.k.a. give characters an out (within reason). This can be important as it will encourage players to continue to engage with you even after a conflict.

Flavor roles:
Every role in Arm has a flavor. Many of the areas you play in or groups you play with have documentation to explain the feel of that role. There will always be some variance between characters, even with the same flavor and played to documentation, but keep the theme in mind as you explore deviations. When in doubt, send a question request in to staff. I would say that some typical roles are the gritty merc, the grubby grebber, the corrupt soldier, the proud tribal, the desperate urchin, the prim aide, the shifty merchant, the hooker with a heart of [fool's] gold... I could go on. Tropes and cliches exist for a reason. Do feel free to put a custom spin on them, however.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Villains
Quote from: Shalooonsh
Armageddon isn't about closure.  It's about Murder, Corruption, and Betrayal.  It's about Mystery, it's about Passion, it's about Brutality.

Bogre

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 04:13:35 PM »
Playing flavor or color roles is a great way to do Arm, especially if you don't have a huge amount of time to really be burning text.

Passing scenery:

-Beggars
-Outcast, hermetic mages
-Wanderers, drifters, refugees
-Bards, courtesans
-Mercenaries
-Simple tradesmen

Antagonistic:

-Raiders, thugs, badguys, thieves - play some scum and villainy, of any level of malice you want, and see how far you make it before the headsman's axe.
-Rogue mages with a bone to pick
-Cultist or religious apostate
-Social outcasts and rebels
-Tuluki / Allanaki loyalists in the others' domains

General/Support
-General henchman lackey. Perfect for the AoD/Byn/Rinth/Merchant house, just latch on to someone and be sycophantic.
-Physicians / chirugeons - field medics or quack snake-oil salesmen
-Spy - be someone's ultra-expendable spy
-'Skills' guy: be the do-it-all jack of all trades for your clan
-Gladiators!
-Religious zealots

Tribal:
-Dune traders of any sort, pick something your tribe 'needs' and range the world trading what your tribe 'has' for it
-Delf/Coded tribe flavor roles: pick something from the specific tribal documentation and play the trope it to the hilt.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

dravage

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:07:34 PM »
Thank you all so much, this has been super helpful and informative!

The key takeaways for me:

- Be flexible and be prepared to go a different way to what you've planned.
- There's fun in defeat, too. Perhaps even more!
- Try to create opportunities that have several outcomes for others involved.
- There's heaps to get stuck into. Thanks for this list, Bogre.