Cripple (x) head/leg/body/arm

Started by MeTekillot, June 26, 2019, 09:46:30 PM

June 26, 2019, 09:46:30 PM Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:49:40 PM by MeTekillot
A command to cripple an otherwise helpless (mortally wounded/complete unconsciousness, would not work on sleeping only) character with a non-lethal(tm) attack. Would permanently lower one of the four stats. You should only be able to be crippled once every few days so people can't spam-cripple your arms into poor strength.

Head = wisdom
Arms = strength
Body = endurance
Legs = agility

Automatically receive a generic scar on the location that you could just cover up with another scar or tattoo if you wanted.

People with bandage should make a check to see if you've been crippled before by assessing you.

He walks with a limp.
He holds his arms oddly.
He has a slight hunch.
His skull has a subtle dent in it.

Give Sorcerers/Vivaduans the ability to heal crippling, separate from the hp restoration they do already.

Nosave cripple. You will not resist attempts to cripple you.

Attempting to cripple someone recently crippled

He is already terribly wounded. It would kill him.

cripple x's arms (lifting a boot and stomping on %x elbow)

Lifting a boot and stomping on his elbow, you cripple the tall, muscular man's arms!

Yes! If I could endorse one feature it would be this, I literally will stop whining forever if something like this was implemented. Awesome idea mek!!
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

Would be a good idea to punish a foe instead of offing them. Good way to make more compelling stories with lasting consequences, extending rivalries or outright changing the trajectory of a character (shamed warrior unable to fight, etc). I could see this being a lot of fun.

It also has a lot of grief potential. Using the command carelessly for every opponent, ganging up on someone over successive days now that they're less able to resist, etc. I'd suggest this only be applicable to PC characters considering it has some twink application. I don't want to see a dozen permanently disabled, non-respawning scorpions and gith so as to clear the roads.

Dangerous idea but a fun one, I'd like to see it.

Quote from: BOXCARS on June 26, 2019, 11:34:09 PM
It also has a lot of grief potential. Using the command carelessly for every opponent, ganging up on someone over successive days now that they're less able to resist, etc.
Yes.

Somewhat related to this what I would like to see is coded handicapped for PCs that choose to have one eye.. it frustrates me to no end that someone with one eye would use archery/combat to the extent of someone with their full vision. I have been around people with one eye and they are completely fucked on one side for depth perception.  Now removing an eye could have actual detrimental consequences to PCs, just log the eye removal and send in the log and they will get the "one-eye" flag and get a significant handicap.

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on June 30, 2007, 05:39:36 AM
>necksnap amos

You try and snap the tall, muscular man's neck but fumble and snap your own!

Welcome to Armageddon!  '(mantishead)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

If the developers can code this it would be awesome and give an alternative to killing.

Oh hey mr. elf..Think you are soo quick? Let's see how well you quickly you get around with a broken leg.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

This is so dark.

I love it.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I like the idea of a physical temporary debuff to characters skills, stats.

Temporary can be restored over time or through other means.  Can have a time frame of in game years, but still temporary.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I was intending permanence unless cured by magick. You could still spice up as a crutch to your injuries.

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 27, 2019, 01:29:26 PM
I was intending permanence unless cured by magick. You could still spice up as a crutch to your injuries.

I feel that it would create a currency of Cure Magick and people would do out-of-character things to decurse themselves. 

There are other tools that could be used:
Injury -> Leg Broken - agility damaged slightly by 1 in-game Year.  Flee skill reduce.  Kick skill reduced.   Run increases stamina drain +2.

Get Bandaged successfully - reduce injury by 2/3 in-game Years.
Get Bandaged moderately - reduce injury by 1/3 in-game Years.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

You already have this ability.

Wish up. Consent to maim. Then maim. Then do your obligatory PK (maiming) report. Staff should be taking it from there.

It goes awry when you don't do the report. I've cut hands off people before after they consented and then a month later I see them in the Gaj and they've got both hands. But I didn't log it and I didn't submit a report on the event so I only had myself to blame.

You don't have to wish up to PK somebody. I don't really see the downside to having code that does this. (Yeah, somebody will take this too far and be Maimin' Everybody, but the same thing happens with PKing.)

Controversial opinion though: killing any PC (or maiming) should automatically open a request prompting you to describe the circumstances.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: mansa on June 27, 2019, 05:14:17 PM
Quote from: MeTekillot on June 27, 2019, 01:29:26 PM

I feel that it would create a currency of Cure Magick and people would do out-of-character things to decurse themselves. 
And be held accountable to the rumors of consorting with mages. I see no problem.

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on June 27, 2019, 06:01:20 PM

Controversial opinion though: killing any PC (or maiming) should automatically open a request prompting you to describe the circumstances.
👍🏼

You should also have it in your stat output. So you don't forget.

You are affected by:
Crippled - Arms, Spice

Quote from: Brytta Léofa on June 27, 2019, 06:01:20 PM

An actual Request Tool Request? I'm for it. Way better than a pre-planned (someday I'll kill that Brytta), and if you don't post anything in it, it is still an open request that can ping staff as to something happening.

So long as its not an in-game thing, though. Because hoo boy would I hate to put a dagger in Lady Fale's neck, and be unable to run away not for backstab lag, but because I have to describe the circumstances of her death before I can continue.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Love the idea.  Every bit of it.  Let us cut off hands too.

I personally do love the idea of being able to maim people more impactfully (eyes/feet/hands) but I'm posing this idea with less severe penalty parsed out with little staff oversight so that it's more palatable to being implemented. If I really had my way, you'd be able to maim people to Sand dan Glokta levels. Take their tongues and they can no longer speak. Break their legs in such a way that moving always consumes stamina and they can't run anymore. Chop off a hand or a foot, or take an eye (or both!).

But I'd say start out with just being able to maim people's stats and then we can work from there.

I do want it noted that I also actually support the idea, because I've always been in favor of more minor-moderate violence in the world. More muggings, less "give me your gold" at the end of a knife. Someone pisses you off? You don't hire an assassin, you hire some out-of-work grebber from the 'rinth to break their fingers. Catch a 'rinther slinking around? Break a leg.

The ONLY downside is that it requires Mortally Wounded or other incapacitation, which isn't necessarily easy to do. It is actually easier to just kill someone, rather than maim them, especially as you get higher in skill/do more damage per hit.

I'm still down for it, just needs some more rounding out.

Use blunt weapons or whoop their ass and make them submit to a crippling (nosave cripple) after knocking off 75% of their hp in two hits.

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 28, 2019, 04:47:31 PM
Use blunt weapons or whoop their ass and make them submit to a crippling (nosave cripple) after knocking off 75% of their hp in two hits.

As much as I hate the 'nosave' creep that we've had the past couple years, this would actually be really good.

nosave cripple/nosave maim would work for Templar interrogations, back-room assaults, etc.

If they have nosave off, they get a message of "They would prefer death to maiming".

I'm all into my PCs getting maimed and f'ed up. It'd be cool if when subdued it toggled on.

Shit, make it classs specific to Raiders and Enforcers, and Templars/AoD sergeants. How's that for backstab branching compensation?
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Going from "Your GP or your HP" to "Your coin, please, or your good knee."