My Random Thought: The _POOR_ Stat

Started by Spiderman, June 21, 2019, 09:59:29 PM

Save for extreme circumstances (80+ year old elderly people), I am adamantly against characters that somehow roll like 80-90 hp, regardless of age/race. To me that is ludicrously low and calls into question the playability of the game itself.  There should just be a hard cap minimum amount that hp rolls at for all characters for playability reasons.

I would say 100 is a good place to start?

Not everyone is meant to be a combat character that can take lots of hits.

Worry less about Class and nothing about subclass and worry about age.

I have rarely had over 100 hp on any character I've ever played. I think my highest was 107.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Consider that your 80 HP character isn't a fighter, or at the very least except in desperate or highly winnable situations.
Savor every victory all the more knowing you hardly had a chance to survive. Die knowing it was inevitable.
Do more than fight.

A weakness is just a new challenge.
80 HP fighter? Not everyone is Conan.

June 27, 2019, 04:28:24 AM #30 Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 04:32:07 AM by Synthesis
Quote from: BOXCARS on June 27, 2019, 04:15:51 AM
Consider that your 80 HP character isn't a fighter, or at the very least except in desperate or highly winnable situations.
Savor every victory all the more knowing you hardly had a chance to survive. Die knowing it was inevitable.
Do more than fight.

A weakness is just a new challenge.
80 HP fighter? Not everyone is Conan.

I had a minimum age human ranger/slipknife? cutpurse, maybe? that did just fine in PvE with straight GARBAGE ASS stats.  I mean, it was like below ave str, ave agility, poor wis, poor endurance, with 82 hp?  The downside to 80 hp is PvP, really.  And like...you know...oh well. You win some, lose some.

The only time I've ever rolled stats that bad was on minimum-age PCs.

The only time it was utterly unplayable was on a min-age d-elf ranger with poor strength.  Had to take a dive on that one, lads.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Alternate Solution:  Just eliminate the wording "below average."  Turn it to "good" and "absolutely incredible" to godlike.  Below average sounds pretty negative and makes people feel bad about their character.

But in all seriousness I agree its kind've janked.  In a lot of RPGs nobody would force you to play something seen as under skilled.  That wouldn't be fun.

Don't roll anything below 25 and I expect you'll do just fine with stats, with your absolute worst stat potentially being wisdom if you prioritize it last.

Quote from: kahuna on June 26, 2019, 09:08:35 PM
Save for extreme circumstances (80+ year old elderly people), I am adamantly against characters that somehow roll like 80-90 hp, regardless of age/race. To me that is ludicrously low and calls into question the playability of the game itself.  There should just be a hard cap minimum amount that hp rolls at for all characters for playability reasons.

I would say 100 is a good place to start?

If you're rolling that low, then you've chosen options that would result in something that low. Random rolls on optimized class/race/age/stat priority won't result in an 80hp. It just won't.

If your priority is to get 100+ hp, then choose class/race/age/stat prioritization that would naturally result in higher HPs. And then, accept that even a 110hp roll will get you killed if you're fairly unskilled due to not enough practice yet, and a mugger with an attitude, training, and a decent sword slashes your head at 60HPs per hit.

You can survive on 80hps if you DON'T piss people off. And you can die easily at 110 hps if you DO piss people off.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'd be lying if terrible stats don't put a damper on a character and my playtimes, especially when I've waited 70+ days to play the character and end up with multiple below average stats.

It doesn't completely drive me away, but usually it's the difference between playing 2-3 hours daily to 5-6 hours weekly.
3/21/16 Never Forget