Watch update?

Started by Nile, June 14, 2019, 01:48:27 AM

I was thinking it would be cool for PCs, maybe those of a certain skill level, that are watching in a particular direction to notice items/creatures without having to spam look. You could get a response like:

You notice: A huge nasty thing you should notice if you're looking this way creeps into view.

When you enter the room with line of sight to it. Thoughts?
Free your hate.

It already does that for mobs and pcs. Unless the thing passes a stealth check.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think (think) the only thing watch doesn't notice, outside of when someone passes a stealth check, is emotes.

If you are 2 rooms away, emoting waving your hands like an idiot, watch won't catch it. If its a coded social, like 'wave', it will.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 14, 2019, 07:53:41 AM
They mean notifying you if there are mobs in sight when you walk into a new room and are watching that direction.

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 14, 2019, 10:09:15 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on June 14, 2019, 07:53:41 AM
They mean notifying you if there are mobs in sight when you walk into a new room and are watching that direction.
Right. If you're watching north, the idea is when you change rooms tou wouldn't have to 'look' in each new room, you'd get a 'notice' echo. Nifty, but it sounds like it might/could be hard to do.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

Logically, you would then also disable being able to look in any other direction.  Or have "watch <dir>" break whenever you looked in any other direction.

emote points to the "Careful what you wish for" sign.

It would, however, be cool if watch allowed to watch emotes at a certain threshold.

Quote from: Brokkr on June 14, 2019, 10:58:04 AM
Logically, you would then also disable being able to look in any other direction.  Or have "watch <dir>" break whenever you looked in any other direction.

Hrmm, personally, I can easily glance to either side of me while primarily keeping my focus in a particular direction. But I'm not here to argue with the gods :P
Free your hate.

Don't think this is code-able, but it might be quite cool.
The concern I think would be more with difficulty than realism, maybe the games intensity is better of if everyone on Zalanthas had weaker far sightedness? Then again maybe this is almost a QoL thing that cuts down on the spam looks players need to type out.

Quote from: Nile on June 15, 2019, 02:03:59 AM

Hrmm, personally, I can easily glance to either side of me while primarily keeping my focus in a particular direction. But I'm not here to argue with the gods :P

Some drivers think they can do this too. They can't.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

That's not logical at all, actually. Seems more like contrived penalties.

Alternatively, make looking in a direction start you watching in that direction. If you want to keep watching east, you have to either not look in other directions or remember to look east again every time.

or like

We could just consider the OP's idea as reasonable and positive or not. I'm personally in support of it.

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 16, 2019, 01:56:26 AM

You are paying attention to the cholo in front of you.  Enough that you could tell whether they are going to pull their nine in the next second or so.  You are also able to look, over your shoulder, and see the cows three miles away.  Well enough to tell if they are an adult or just a yearling.  And somehow...continue to tell if the cholo is going to pull their nine on you, in the next second...all at the same time?

Quote from: Brokkr on June 17, 2019, 12:19:15 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on June 16, 2019, 01:56:26 AM

You are paying attention to the cholo in front of you.  Enough that you could tell whether they are going to pull their nine in the next second or so.  You are also able to look, over your shoulder, and see the cows three miles away.  Well enough to tell if they are an adult or just a yearling.  And somehow...continue to tell if the cholo is going to pull their nine on you, in the next second...all at the same time?

Point taken.
Free your hate.