Author Topic: DISCUSSION: What is the most dangerous animal you think you can defeat unarmed?  (Read 511 times)

Namino

Alright. This is my favorite ice-breaker question of all time.

Here are the rules:

You have ten attempts (ten lives). You only have to succeed to defeat your opponent of choice one out of the ten times. You can die from your injuries after, as long as your target is dead first. Remember, this is the most dangerous or threatening animal you have a 10% shot against in your personal opinion. Don't sell yourself short, but don't be too ambitious, either. Additional rules for those who need more information:

- You're in an arena, not out in the wild. You both see each other, nobody gets a stealth advantage. You have no tools but you are wearing normal daily-wear clothing.
- The animal wants to fight you and will engage to the best of its ability
- If your animal is native to the water then it meets you half way. For most reasonably sized animals that's waist to chest deep, where it can move around but is restricted by depth. Rule of thumb is that aquatic animals have just enough water to swim but can't maneuver freely.
- If possible, justify your answer, preferably with a battle-plan.
EDIT: - Average specimen. No juveniles but not top size either. Right in the middle. If the species has sexual dimorphism that's significant, state which sex.
EDIT 2: By popular demand, we're clarifying that your normal clothing is to be worn only, not made to improvise into weapons. Remember, bare hands.
EDIT 3: The walls of the arena are smooth stone. Think Roman gladiatorial arena. No cover, no topography. Flat ground, firm footing.

Additional clarification is available upon request.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:20:26 AM by Namino »

bynja turtle

mansa

a miniature poodle
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

MeTekillot

Black bear.
It's a lot more admirable to be strong in a game where strength comes at enormous risks.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
Lion.

If I can take the back and have a jacket that's a rear naked choke.

Chimps/Gorillas know how to grapple and therefore are unlikely to be killed without a weapon by a human.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Cerelum

A human, manual strangulation.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

Namino

Lion.

If I can take the back and have a jacket that's a rear naked choke.

Chimps/Gorillas know how to grapple and therefore are unlikely to be killed without a weapon by a human.

Look at the definition on its triceps. IDK if you're going to be able to secure that grapple.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
Hey, 10% odds is still 10%. Just need to avoid the initial pounce and secure the back then loop the jacket. (Theoretically.)
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

triste

Was told to post here basically because I won the debate in the discord.

Highest strength score / best DPS (damage per second for you noobs) -- crocodiles
"The "winners"—saltwater crocodiles—slammed their jaws shut with 3,700 pounds per square inch (psi), or 16,460 newtons, of bite force. By contrast, you might tear into a steak with 150 to 200 psi (890 newtons). Hyenas, lions, and tigers generate around 1,000 psi (4,450 newtons)"

Rhinos will chase you down and murder you with best agi/endurance: https://www.quora.com/Which-is-faster-a-charging-rhinoceros-or-charging-hippopotamus

However hippos are the actual deadliest in terms of statistics, combining strength and good charging speed:
"Ungainly as it is, the hippopotamus is the world's deadliest large land mammal, killing an estimated 500 people per year in Africa. Hippos are aggressive creatures, and they have very sharp teeth.

And you would not want to get stuck under one; at up to 2,750kg they can crush a human to death."

Lions are cute but not the deadliest.

triste

I have lost by not reading OP

Renenutet

• Storyteller
Clan cook.
There are people already knowledgeable in game.  Find them and kill them so no one has cures and then poison everyone. -Kefka 2018

lordcooper

A mosquito.  They're responsible for more deaths than anything else.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Hauwke

Most people could also be reasonably expected to stop a mid-sized venomous snake before they themself die. Some might even survive the encounter unscathed.

Namino

I suspect most people are way over 1/10 on a snake. Definitely on a mosquito. :P

Riev

Fisher cat, or some other mid-sized feline.

Once my hands are too small to possibly collapse a trachea, I'm useless.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Haunt

i will kill any animal given the chance without mercy
Sometimes the shit breaks you

Nameless Face

Honey badger.  One out of ten.

Namino

Honey badger.  One out of ten.

All memes about honey badgers aside, I think this is an excellent choice. They're really tough animals that can withstand some serious hits but they're actually quite light (30 pounds is an average male) so it'd be like brawling with a medium sized dog that's just more vicious.

FamousAmos

My husband.

In all seriousness though, young, playful and dominant stallions can be fucking brutal. I used to breed horses and I had a particularly "playful" 2 year old stallion who'd just stand on his hind legs and attempt to high five me on our way to the pen. And once inside the pen he'd bail it. And I'd cling on for dear life because fuck that shit. I'm not having it.

Akaramu

Poisonous snake

X-D

No human has any chance at all with a full grown lion bare handed when using the rules of OP. Not 10% not 1%...0.0%.

Anybody who thinks otherwise has never met one up close and has no real understanding of the differences between humans and almost ALL other animals. First, POUND for POUND most animals, lions included are 4-6 TIMES stronger then you. This literally means that the muscle tissue itself is 4-6 times stronger. Next, the muscles and mane of a lions neck are thick and strong...even if the animal was not fighting back you would run out of strength before being able to KO the animal...even with your coat. On the males, that mane and neck muscle thickness is to defend against other lions...something you are not. Lastly...four legs and quite flexible animal weighing more then 500 pounds. You would be scraped off in moments.
Not that you would EVER be able to mount the animal to begin with since along with size and strength there is the just silly speed.

Now, if you are large and very athletic you might be able to take either a half grown female mountain lion or an elderly one...did you mean that sort of lion?

And I am still considering which animal for me. I am confident on anything under 40lbs, maybe even into 50 or 60lbs. So...10% chance? A large male African baboon can get near 100lbs. So, half my size but he has every advantage other then brains and weight. Would be a good match.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:31:56 PM by X-D »
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

valeria

• I have a writing page.
I'm going with a leopard seal under the rules of the OP.  They are fast and dangerous, and humans suck in water.  But they normally kill by drowning, and a good kick or hit between the eyes takes them out, and I'm fairly strong and accurate.  So I'd go for the thin bone between the eyes and take my chances on it not being able to bite me hard enough for me to bleed out or drag me around in waist deep water until I drown 1 time in 10.
Too gay to function since the early 2000s.
I do writing.

Namino

Now, if you are large and very athletic you might be able to take either a half grown female mountain lion or an elderly one...did you mean that sort of lion?

My choice is a mountain lion as an aside. Average mountain lion is about 120lbs. I crank 130lbs one handed for dumbell rows for 12 reps. I recognize the animal is fighting and the weight is not, but maneuvering 120 pounds is light weight for me.

9/10 it's going to get me in a rush down but if I can get a hold of any limb, tail, or the head I'm 100% confident I can whip that cat repeatedly against the ground like a gorilla. The lumbar spine of a cougar is not particularly reinforced so its going to be dead or paralyzed in the back limbs at that point.

So I've had this conversation will probably 100 people at this point so when that biker killed the cougar in Colorado a few months back my phone exploded with shit like this:

Cerelum

You poor poor man, what is that generic phone you're using?
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

Hauwke

You poor poor man, what is that generic phone you're using?

That would appear to be the Samsung s10 based on the buttons and symbols.