Author Topic: Seeking Advice For Reconnecting With a Character After a Long RL Gap  (Read 599 times)

Saiseiki

Hola, everyone. 

So, I played my first character for roughly 10 months, enjoyed the heck of it, and then RL carried me away from the game as it will (change in profession, change in living circumstances, etc.).  Things have settled down, and I recently got the urge to take up Arm once more.  The character is still alive IG, and I still think it's a good concept, but it's been right around 2 years IRL since I was in that head/heartspace.  Also, I missed 17 years of development - from late teens to 30s! 

My question is, has anyone else been in this situation that cares to share?  How do you reconnect with a character you really loved after a (very) long time away?  Is it better to store the character and start fresh?  Should I fill in the blanks of their history myself, make a lengthy bio entry to account for the lost time, or just dive in?  I thought I had decided to store, but then went back and read the bios for the first time since 2017 and started getting misty eyed.  Does that happen to others?

Anyway, thanks in advance.   :D

mansa

Re: Seeking Advice For Reconnecting With a Character After a Long RL Gap
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
My suggestion is to wander around the city, explore, remember where places are, read the rumour boards, try and see what has happened recently, to get your head around some world development.   Maybe ask in a bar who is in charge and who is hiring, and what the latest news is...

...And then store your character and make a new one.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

BOXCARS

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:06:07 PM »
A simple answer is to play it if you still have the passion for the character. Seventeen years is a lot of time but you don't need to come up with the minutia bit by bit. Fill in relevant pieces of history as they come up or feel important. Think of one very long term thing you might have done or several different general things. Understand that in that time you essentially existed as a vnpc and thus could have done vnpc type things.

"I was in prison"
"I worked the caravans for a time"
"I was laying low, working the mines as a cover"
"I wandered the deserts, avoiding/fighting the gith incursion"
"I took time skimming the silt sea/hiding out in Luirs"
etc.

You don't need to have answers always, hell it could be a myatery even to you. Its easy to come up with you have nothing to show for these ventures.

Failing that; if you have no more passion for a character who holds no more meaning to you then do as above and wander then store. There's no wrong answer.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 10:37:24 PM »
I love reading old bios!

I've never had this happen because I tend to store when I'm forced by IRL to take a break for whatever reason.  I vote roll with the character if you are still at all attached.  Handwavium the time you've missed, like you would with a freshly created PC.  And if you can't get back into their head then go ahead and store and start something else.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

Saiseiki

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 12:22:05 AM »
Thanks for the observations and advice, y'all.  I'm still mulling this over and I appreciate the input!

solera

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:44:11 AM »
I was in a similar situation with one of my early characters, and the first one to reach a respectable "days played" before she died.
She entered the Byn as a teen, had time I think to get her troopers stripe, time to hero-worship one of the sarges. Then I couldn't play for a couple of years, though I think I still made stories about her in my head.
When I could log in again, I wrote a story for myself....of the misdemeanor that saw her spending years of her life in the out of town Byn camp/fort, and of her return. I got some facts horribly wrong (I thought a Fort off the North road was the camp, which I got then got mixed up with Luirs, but nobody saw my writings but me.)
So my advice is to settle on your excuse, then write or imagine stories around it.
Good luck anyway, with round 2. Maybe your stats will have improved too. Or not.

oggotale

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 05:14:23 AM »
I've been in the same situation, I can never reconnect with the character, I'd say don't, play recklessly within sensible bounds and wait till it ends up dead, then start a fresh.

ShaLeah

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »
I was on hiatus from Arm for a long time. I had a Bynner assassin who was a nice girl. I came back and forced myself to play her and the concept out. I gave her amnesia, junked my aba and BEGGED the sergeant to let me back in swearing she would never go AWOL. I expected to die. She let me back in, gave me a new aba and voila.

That character went on to:
Serve another year in the Byn.
Became aide to Tasok Salarr.
Left Salarr to become a concubine to a Lord of Fale during which time she:
  • Had him attack his other bitch to prove his love. Ahh jealousy.
  • Was nearly killed in an arena spider swarm and was picked up by said Lord of Fale and rushed to the Vivaduan temple so that her life could be saved.
She then proceeded to be forcibly kicked out of Fale by the elders cause she was too old for a young Lord Fale.
She was then lured into a life of crime by Markus, face of the Guild, until he got dead.
She went back into Salarr and was stationed in Tuluk (read: fled to Tuluk to save her life from the backlashes of her previous lifes) where:
The Tuluki Templarate invited her into THE HEART and she SURVIVED. She was asked to spy for Tuluk by them.

RIP Sisynne.

My point?

Getting them back from hiatus is nothing really, even if you're clanned. Staff can help with that if you're having trouble making up a story.

What's hard is getting back INTO it and that is just a trial and error thing. You'll know once you're in.

Good luck and welcome back!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Saiseiki

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »
Inspiring, and thank you!  That was a heck of a read.